Where have all the Fred files gone?

Squeeto

Tain: I saw an article recently that said 67% of internet users in America were now on broadband. I don't know about Canada or Europe.

Many many people in France have broadband, mainly thanks to a single operator that has very aggressive prices and made every others follow.

I do have broadband. However, I just had to dial (rasdial.exe). ;)

That is a pretty impressive number. I wouldn't have thought it to be that high. But even if that number is accurate, that is still a large number of folks (espectially when you consider the world audience) that are still dialing up.

Well, total W2k install, no rollup or hotfixes but firewall. Downloaded the latest HFSLIP, FDV set, TommyP reducer set (for HFCLEANUP) and W2k extra set.

I am hoping this is the one and only holdup (so I am giving this info now).

Already _removed the nt5.ca

BTW, I wasn't trying to insult dialup users in any way.

I was curious if the dialup users actually used rasphone to do it. Microsoft apps aren't typically the preferred choice.

post-81494-1150080419_thumb.jpg

Why are you replacing FDV's DLLs in your fix folder? You're probably better off not replacing them. For me, I don't use FDVs fileset, but I do use FDV's sfc.dl_, sfcfiles.dl_ and setupapi.dl_ in my fix folder. If that doesn't work, you can always delete the nt5.ca line from your 2000_Only_WorthlessUpdates.rem file.

Edited by tommyp

BTW, I wasn't trying to insult dialup users in any way.

I was curious if the dialup users actually used rasphone to do it. Microsoft apps aren't typically the preferred choice.

A few years ago I had to use a proprietary software (beginnings of ADSL). I don't know exactly when but we received a mail telling us user had change a bit (fti/wecu264 instead of fti@ft/wecu264) and that we could use normal XP dialup (in fact, I maybe had to use it because 98 doesn't handle PPPoE). Now I use it. It's OK, it's light, command-line enabled... and RASPPPoE uses it.

delete the nt5.ca line from your
Done already. The pic above was the result.
replacing FDV's DLLs in your fix folder

Was playing awhile back and didn't replace them. Will do so.

Any chance of failure due to-

no rollup or hotfixes

on my system?

Still not fixed.

Here is the updated list of files missing during install (should anyone Search to here with the same problem).

Sure hate being alone.

NT5PRTX.CAT

NT5IIS.CAT

MAPIMIG.CAT

CJIME.CAT

DTCSETUP.CAT

FP4.CAT

IMS.CAT

MQEXCHNG.CAT

PHIME.CAT

PYIME.CAT

SCRDBCAT.CAT

HPCRDP.CAT

MW770.CAT

IASNT4.CAT

SP4.CAT

@Squeeto:

I'm really clueless. Are you removing CAT files through HFANSWER.INI? Are you 100% sure that the partition you're running HFSLIP on is 100% error free?

"%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk\rasphone.pbk"

Place this file back in it's happy home during installation and create a shortcut to it on your desktop. Works for 2k and xp.

Out of curiosity... Does that still do the trick if you install it properly via Start > Settings > Network and Dial-up Connections > Advanced > Dial-up Preferences?

Squeet - Sorry about the multiple hfslip runs. Type your Y's in CAPS for now, especially when prompted about filtering FDV's infs. I'll make sure that the next release has this fixed up for case sensitivity.

I have typed I HAVE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS a few dozen times over the last couple of days. I have been very careful with capitals and not just relying on a return for the defaults. I even downloaded USP51 for all the latest, greatest. Hard drive seems fine. My next attempt will be a stock FDV with reductions, nothing else. You have seen the log; there shouldn't be anything there to corrupt the works. Fresh install.

I never give up. The apocalyse could hit; I'll keep going......

Unless Vista gets me.

Thanks Kiki.

I have narrowed my search. Not hard, only time consuming. Because I changed so much this last time, I wasn't sure where to look first (more tweaks, a first AAO, my own icons inf, updated FDV, updated HFSLIP and HFCLEANUP).

It seems that the later hfcleanup.zip sets are causing the trouble. The sets are not dated so I will refer to them from the date of the last file added/changed.

I have no problems with March 12.

March 29 loses mru_kill.inf, rasphone and iexpress

May 11 lose all

I can probably hunt down the problem but what worries me is I don't know what other FDV infs are being removed even with the March 12 set. This could be true now for everyone.

I'll go through the list and post back.