Where have all the Fred files gone?

Squeeto

Are you excluding any files from the hfcleanup? Are you selecting Y to filter FDV's infs? (you should be) Are you using alternate files in the fix folder other than winnt.sif? (you shouldn't be).

Are you excluding any files from the hfcleanup?

Yes and No. No for these tests. Yes after I get it running (my system wants to see s3legacy)

Are you selecting Y to filter FDV's infs? Yes

Are you using alternate files in the fix folder other than winnt.sif? No, but I don't use Fred's winnt.sif

Maybe you should have a look. But been using it successfully since 2005.

Just for fun, I tried the very latest hfcleanup with the 2kextra and removed all the files that said 2003. I got back a couple of the missing shortcuts.

I thought about renaming shell.in_ and all the references but I don't think that it is that simple.

Oh, during Final Tasks at installing Start Menu time the HFSLIP box echos File Not Found.

The fact that the setup process has a specific time it sets up the Start Menu items makes me think that these get installed a little differently. Something is not being satisfied for my install.

I can reproduce the results every time. So I also have a working system with the older reducer set. I am going to try this older set with the 2kextra. If it is a go, I will be satisfied. If there is truly a problem it will show it's face again for a more experienced individual. I will try anything suggested (except the bizarre) but I need to move forward for now.

I also promised Bill G. to try out his new Vista, and it is way too big to go into my virtual arena.

I appreciate all the advice.

Edited by Squeeto

The 2003 files can be left in. I don't think they reduce anything with 2000, but I leave mine in. As far as the shortcuts goes, some are installed by syssetup.inf. What shortcuts are you missing? From the sounds of it, it sounds like the cat issue is resolved? There is no need to see your winnt.sif file. If it worked before, it should still work. Can you make a list of specific issues you have? The only reason I ask is that I'm not sure if some were resolved and/or if others popped up. I'd like to make hfcleanup compatible with fdv's fileset as much as possible (for me all works fine).

I only have problems with the most recent hfcleanup.zip sets.

I have always had to _remove 2 instances of s3legacy.

The last working set that I know is file dated to March 12.

March 29 loses mru_kill.inf, rasphone and iexpress. There were 13 files added and changes to some of the old. Too many to talk about here.

May 11 is the interesting one. I lose all menu items. But it seems the only change since the last set is the removal of 2003ServerToFDV.rin and 2003ServerToXP*.* files.

This makes no sense once again but I can try it a 3rd time. But before I do could you let me know when the 2kextra zip was introduced? It probably has an effect and I didn't start using it until just recently.

As for Vista, I have almost got the wife to go for a TommyP and FDV system on her desktop which would free up the lap for Bill. Her system may work perfectly for the latest hfcleanup though.

TommyP and FDV. It rhymes but no commercialization. You need a system name like the X2K dude. :D

I am still unclear on the problems with the latest fileset. What are the issues you have after you install using an hfcleanup/hfslip? Is it just the startmenu items? What start menu items do you want; what are you expecting there? Please don't use comparisons from the march release, they really don't help me troubleshoot. If it means anything, the 2kextra was originally part of the march hfcleanup, but those files don't work well with 2003 and xp. This is why I separated them in the may release.

BTW, what is the s3legacy?

I have a fix but not a cure, yet.

Somehow the latest hfcleanup.zip reduction sets are causing a modification to shell.in_ with reference to Applications_paint.rem and rin.

The earlier working shell.in_ has-

[DestinationDirs]

[Paint]

Name ="Paint"

CmdLine =11,,mspaint.exe

SubDir ="Accessories"

IconPath =11,,mspaint.exe

InfoTip ="Creates and edits drawings, and displays and edits scanned photos."

Whereas the later (non working) shell.in_ has-

[Paint]

Name ="Paint"

SubDir ="Accessories"

InfoTip ="Creates and edits drawings, and displays and edits scanned photos."

This irregular entry causes the trouble. Removing the 4 lines probably fixes the problem but I didn't go this way, I just copied the older shell.in_ to the newer SOURCESS\I386.

The menu is now restored. Of course my Start Menu shortcut for Paint has no executable to run because of Applications_paint but this is easily fixed. I am just not sure if I want to keep or cut Paint yet. I still occasionally use the little thing.

I'll keep working on the cure. Either HFSLIP or HFCLEANUP.ZIP needs to remove these lines.

Thanks Kiki, I need to remove s3legacy.dl and s3legacy.sy from Driver_DisplayAdaptersOldStyle.rdv for my system.

I have a fix but not a cure, yet.

Thanks Kiki, I need to remove s3legacy.dl and s3legacy.sy from Driver_DisplayAdaptersOldStyle.rdv for my system.

it's nice to hear somehow that you have a fix ... cure may come soon! ;)

S3 ... kinda prototypical, huh? ;)

i still have 1 of those lying around somewhere ... S3 trio (2 or 4mb i think)

Edited by Kiki Burgh

S3 ... kinda prototypical, huh?

i still have 1 of those lying around somewhere ... S3 trio (2 or 4mb i think)

The computer is <1 year old with nVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go (64M). W2k probably uses a very common (old) video driver because it doesn't recognize it. Or something similar.