PSU problems, i fear

hougtimo

Hi,

After my big upgrade, I am sometimes getting an error from the bios on startup. It is always on cold starts when it has been disconnected from the main overnight. If iplug it in and immediately turn on i get the error 'CPU test Failed' and it wont boot up. If I turn it off again and wait 5 mins (or wait 5 mins after initially plugging it in) it boots fine with no probs at all. Also sometimes I get 'Overclock Failed' (warm start) and it refuses to boot, but if i turn off and on again it is fine. Once its running it runs beautifully with no probs at all.

My Specs:

Athlon 64 3200+ (OC'd to 3700+)

Asus A8N Deluxe (wireless) mobo

1GB Dual Channel RAM

300GB Maxtor SATA HDD

80GB Hitachi IDE

ATI Radeon 9550 AGP

Now my PSU is only 330w, do you think it is a PSU problem? and if i were to get a 600+w PSU would that be better?

Thanks

HougTimo

EDIT :: That site say i should have a 307w PSU min, so in theory mine seems ok......

Maybe its just getting old, tis about 3yrs old anyway.

Yep, does it at clock speed too

Edited by hougtimo

A AMD processor is a high-producer and does not require overclocking. They WILL fail to start if the clock is set too high. I have personal experience with that. :whistle:

If you have a 350w PSU, that's max peak power. NOT running power. Running power can be as low as 250.

Get a much larger PSU. ASAP! Nothing smaller than a 450w.

I'm personally using a 550w PSU right now and I've got a 680w unit sitting here waiting for me to get around to installing it.

I wouldn't dream of installing a 350w PSU in any system running Windows XP.

(maybe, in an old 98 system)

STOP overclocking,,,,,(you've got a wonderful CPU there....overclocking is NOT required)

get the larger PSU installed and your problems will go away. :yes:

FootNote: Overclocking your CPU, makes it draw more power, generate more heat and you risk Roaching your CPU in the process.

Cheers!

Andromeda43 B)

Ok, thanks.

I am aware of the risks of overclocking, and it does infact create a very noticable speed increase. Not overclocking it is boring :P I have overclocked many many CPUs in my time and the only ones that have failed are intels :P

I will be getting a 600w psu later today i think

Theres nothing wrong with overclocking providing you know what your doing, the 3200+ is also good chip for overclocking, ppl have managed to squeeze 2.7Ghz out of them with good cooling solutions. unfortunately it will draw considerably more power and the PSU is most likely not upto the challenge. A good quality 480W PSU should be sufficient, but if you can afford something more beefy then go for it.

I can't believe that overclocking is really helping you that much.

I could improve your system performance by 50-100% and never touch the CPU clock.

(It's what I do for a living)

But if you insist on doing it....remember that the faster you run that CPU, the more heat it's going to generate.

What are you doing to remove that extra heat from your CPU chip and then from your case?

(Don't tell me....just answer that question for yourself)

I'm currently running an AMD 3000+ cpu and I can lay my finger on my CPU heatsink and it only feels slightly warm to the touch. NEVER hot!, even under the heaviest workloads.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43 B)

Heh, coincidence ... I do that for a living too. I am all too familiar with the various methods in squeezing speed out of CPUs, oh and on the heat issue my temps never go above 34' Celsius even under 24 hours of Prime95. :)

I just enjoy the challenge of an overclock, its exciting.