how to disable the annoying "http://runonce.msn.com/runonce2.aspx

chee

:hello: I just signed up here, I have been about to break this laptop in 2 , with the annoyance of "Runonce.msn.com" taking over my first page.

Im not the "sharpest tool in the box" when it comes to editing registries :wacko: So I used the link "Canon" posted, and hey presto all works again !.

Thankyou very much, I now can resist temptation until another microsoft upgrade bugs me... :angry:

Very helpful site this, I shall recommend it all around the world. :thumbup:thumbup

• 3 months later...

in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

there is a key named "FirstRunStartPage" (Maybe this or something like this), set this key's value to "about:blank"

Restart IE 7.

To prevent RunOnce from loading.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"RunOnceComplete"=dword:00000001
"RunOnceHasShown"=dword:00000001

Also posted in my Tips and Tricks - Who would have thought that after two years that Microsoft has not corrected this problem. I have updated scripts using several appliations and created a couple of executables for those who do not want to manually edit their registry.

i had the same problem

but this solve my problem now

thank you very much

Edited by tagwar

Sorries for the bump...

But I've read this entire thread and not yet understood why people don't just *complete* the runonce page instead of hacking their way around it? I like having it there so I can disable ClearType in just a couple clicks instead of needing to use the Internet control panel. I do so on every computer I load IE7 onto. Is it really, really, really that annoying? If the wizard isn't able to finish, then your computer has deeper problems than just the runonce page...

Edited by Volatus

But I've read this entire thread and not yet understood why people don't just *complete* the runonce page instead of hacking their way around it?

because I manage near 500 PCs and if i had to click through the runonce on every single one of them I think Id probably lose the very little sanity i have left.

because I manage near 500 PCs and if i had to click through the runonce on every single one of them I think Id probably lose the very little sanity i have left.

That, and it's quite a unnecessarily long process. Just set decent default settings, and if I don't like them (like the start page), then I'll change them myself (more often than not by importing a .reg file).

Even if I was configuring it by hand, I don't need a stupid wizard to hold my hand, forcing me to click through 4 pages of annoying nonsense, to then go to the options tab anyways to change options I'm looking for (like unchecking the "disable script debugging" option and such)

Edited by crahak

Ah, I see. It appeared that most people were trying to "solve the problem" - that is, one-off trying to remove the page instead of just completing it, on their own computer. I guess this would be much useful for system admins... although I'd figure the end users would just complete it themselves with no complaints ;)

My situation was that an error kept coming up so I could not complete the runonce request. I followed the advice to add the appropriate entries suggested in this post.

My first entry as suggested:

" RunOnceHasShown "="1"

Made no difference.

Then I entered these suggested entries:

This fixed runonce and removed error message.

However, I could not get rid of msn start page.

About blank in IE7 resulted in MSN startup.

So:

I entered this in "main" and problem resolved.

"Start Page"="about:blank

Save this on notepad and rename it to end in .reg then just click it and it is entered for you.

"Start Page"="about:blank"

" RunOnceHasShown "="1"

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - I've spent the last few weeks pulling my hair out over "runonce" and IE closing almost immediately. I've been a Firefox user (because of chronic IE trouble) for about two years but since I started creating websets I found it necessary to check them in both browsers for various reasons. Well, IE made that a miserable undertaking - the runonce page and the browser closing on me to be precise.

To get to my point: today I found this forum (via a google search on 'runonce removal') and want to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to akita for the RunOnceDone.rar download and to the generous person who offered the tip of disabling third party extensions. BOTH worked beautifully and I can now make my website checks without IE7 snags and shutdowns.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! Generous people like yourselves make online experiences less stressful for computer dopes like me. :)

ps...just saw that the second person is akishore

Linda

Edited by GratefulInNJ

Fist, locate the key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main] .

Second, on the right side of the screen locate the subkey [RunOnceHasShown] .

Third, click on the subkey mentioned in step 2 and change the value from 0 to 1 .

Fourth, add a DWORD {RunOnceHasShown} and set the value to 1

close regedit and restart IE.

• 4 weeks later...
I was having this same problem on IE6, it was going to "about:blank".

I deleted the entry that causes this and it still did it. It was because

I was only editing the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE part of the registry and

it is in HKEY_CURRENT_USER!

All I had to do was change the "Start Page" entry to Google's address.

Make sure you change it in the HKCU though not just HKLM. :blushing:

"SearchMigrated"=dword:00000001