VMWare 5.5 Tools addon

mystek

RogueSpear probably never tested to see if it would install outside of a VM. Even though it apparently doesn't do so, it also doesn't hurt to have some extra assurance that you aren't hosing a live machine.

RogueSpear is an experienced addon maker. I'm sure he had a good reason for packing the original version of this the way he did.

The good reason is, in two words : speed and size.

Without the script, the check is made after unpacking the SFX.

The other solution is to keep the files uncompressed : when testing in a VM, the ISO size doesn't matter so much. And there's IMHO no point in burning a disc with VMwareTools eating space

Speed and size? All RogueSpear did was turn it into a switchless installer and write, if I remember correctly, like 5 lines of VB script to check the BIOS to see if it was VMWare. Not that big of a deal.

Maybe you should make an addon for us instead of using the switchless installer? Or are you saying that the installer was silent/switchless to begin with so no modifications needed to be made?

Speed and size? All RogueSpear did was turn it into a switchless installer and write, if I remember correctly, like 5 lines of VB script to check the BIOS to see if it was VMWare. Not that big of a deal.

yes, and if the SFX is used without the script outside a VM, the extraction is made before the installer aborts => time lost.

If the files are not packed, the script is no longer needed, and no time will be lost by an extraction process.

Maybe you should make an addon for us instead of using the switchless installer? Or are you saying that the installer was silent/switchless to begin with so no modifications needed to be made?

"msiexec /i vmwaretools.msi /passive" in a cmd... Not that big of a deal too... :rolleyes: (or replace /passive with your prefered switch : /qb- /qn /qr /quiet /anything...)

I were saying that burning an ISO with VMwareTools is a lost of space on the disc : why put on it something useful only in a VM ??? (plus it needs to bother with a script to check if.... :wacko: )

If you add VMwT only in ISO inteded for VMs, the script check is unuseful... (and the size of an ISO is not as important as the size of a CD : VMware accept 2GB... it is possible to keep VMwT unpacked)

i hope you understand my opinion better this way :huh:

I were saying that burning an ISO with VMwareTools is a lost of space on the disc : why put on it something useful only in a VM ??? (plus it needs to bother with a script to check if
I do it because I find the tools incredibly convenient and when I need to do some bugstomping that requires the creation of ISO after ISO until a problem is fixed...the tools help me a lot.
If you add VMwT only in ISO inteded for VMs, the script check is unuseful
Again, I think that the script was added as a safety precaution for 'joe user'. I agree with you that it isn't that useful, that is why I stripped it out and posted the silent installer to begin with! :lol:

I do it because I find the tools incredibly convenient and when I need to do some bugstomping that requires the creation of ISO after ISO until a problem is fixed...the tools help me a lot.

what ? whaaaaa...(lots of 'a')...aaaaaat ?

You didn't follow the instructions.
;)
Again, I think that the script was added as a safety precaution for 'joe user'. I agree with you that it isn't that useful, that is why I stripped it out and posted the silent installer to begin with! :lol:

Yes, and i'm thinking that this "silent installer" is also a waste : look, it extracts installation files from an ISO file to a virtual hard disk, then install to the same virtual hard disk, then removes the installation files from the virtual hard disk... :wacko:

while keeping the files uncompressed in the ISO makes it install from the ISO to the virtual hard disk. :thumbup

In one word : K.I.S.S.

Ps: uh, i forgot to say that 'joe' may not exist IRL :P