VMWare 5.5 Tools addon

mystek

While working with VMWare 5.5.1 every time I load a new test XP Pro ISO made with HFSLIP right after the final reboot a popup comes up and wants to optimize the display settings. This locks up the startup and forces me to shutdown the VM and restart then the OS again. The mouse locks up as soon as focus is placed in the VM and I have to go around the world to logon and install the VMWare tools package to get full functionality. I have found a package by RogueSpear that will add the VMWare tools, only it is required to be run from RunOnceEx with an OEM directory on the install cd (not $OEM$). Could anyone offer advice on how add this package with HFSLIP. I am somewhat new to this.

If it's a switchless installer, then put it into HFSVCPACK, if it's a switch installer (like a type 2 hotfix), put it into HFSVCPACK_SW. If you don't know which is which, then you are best off searching the unattended forum and/or unattended.msfn.org.

I looked into this a little more. The addon is not a switchless installer in the context of those meeting HFSLIP requirements. Looks like the best way to add this, is to follow RogueSpears instruction by creating the OEM folder and editing the winnt.sif file after running HFSLIP and then make a new ISO. The nice part about this package is it verifies the system being installed is a VM or it will not install the tools. Wish I knew more about creating true switchless addons cause this package would be a real good one to have.

just to quote the masters ... :)

For starters, type 1 hotfixes should be have the word "Windows" in it. Type 2 hotfixes are various, but you probably want to re-download them to get the correct filename. Refer to this for the difference between type 1s and type 2s. http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/24/

you may check this out too:

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67

Edited by Kiki Burgh

Found another topic VMWare Tools UA install where Yzöwl was discussing the issue. Seems there is a way to create an SFX archive and include it in HFSVCPACK that might work. I am going to test this later and will post results.

Thought I posted this info somewhere but I am too lazy to search for it. Sorry... :whistle:

I worked on this issue a few months ago. Short version of the story: I am hosting a stripped-down version of RogueSpear's addon here that works great as a switchless installer. I've used it A LOT and never had any issues with it.

It is a switchless installer of the *TOOLS* not the 'workstation'. This enables cool features within a VMWare machine like drag/drop, enhanced mousing (no more grabbing!), and more flexible resolutions.

Because it is only good for use within a VM, there is no trial version of this package.

To be clear: this doesn't do you any good unless you are loading your already have VMWare Workstation installed and are loading ISOs into a VMWare machine.

appreciate the clarif Tain!

i was just confused a bit about the topic ...

about the tools i know about it as i am currently using vmware 5.5 & once the OS installation is done it always prompts for installation of the tools ... :) & it is indeed built-in to vmware ...

what's good with this switchless installer is that i do not need to do that anymore, correct?

btw, i was just curious --- was the tool extracted to be able to come up w/ this as apparently this tool is nowhere to be downloaded from vmware's site (unless i didn't search hard enough)?

thanks!

what's good with this switchless installer is that i do not need to do that anymore, correct?
Correct
btw, i was just curious --- was the tool extracted to be able to come up w/ this as apparently this tool is nowhere to be downloaded from vmware's site (unless i didn't search hard enough)?
It is a bit tricky, actually. When you "Install VMWare tools" within VMWare all it *really* does is mount an ISO as a CD drive.

For most people that would automatically install the tools because of Autorun but most of us tweakers wisely disable that feature...it took me a long time to figure out why it wasn't working!

Anyway, after the ISO is mounted you can browse to it and the tools are in there.

FYI for those who are unfamiliar with this stuff:

These tools are for use within a virtual machine. Most people will add them to an HFSLIP ISO to make it easier to test/bugcheck whatever it is they are working on.

You should NOT install these tools on real, live machines.

In fact, i never disable autorun. And i mounted "windows.iso" (not in a VM) to extract the tools...

Now, the main question is : why some people are making scripts to check if it's needed to install VMwT ??? :wacko:

++