whats the best port monitor,scanner?

Slightly off-topic, please excuse me.

It's been happening in the past a few times and since last night it's happening again: some guy on my LAN is spoofing my IP (trying to). Windows has been giving me a dozen message boxes, in time, showing his MAC address.

My question is: how could I find his computer/user name based on MAC address, so I could at least try to send him a net send message? I tried Angry IP Scanner, but that one's based on IP scan and it doesn't catch the offending machine. Our admin is not in town right now and it gets annoying to see those message boxes pop up every now and then. I'm running Win98SE, so I hope someone knows some tool that works on my system.

Thank you.

Thanks but besides the fact that I don't understand any of those explanations, upon a quick look it appears it can't do what I need. ARP seems only able to resolve IP address based on MAC address, but I don't need the IP, because I already know it: it's the same as mine, that's why the network conflict occurs!

What I need is something that would be able to retrieve at least computer name by scanning the IP class (or a wider range, if needed) for a given MAC address. I can only send a net send message based on computer name (and that only if I'm lucky).

It's possible to get the computer name via NetBIOS, but you have to know his IP address to send the packets to since arp will only give the physical interface to send to, and if that IP is the same as your own... :wacko:

Yeah, I figured it'd be a b!tch to find out. Oh well, it's been a while since I haven't got any conflict, so I hope the admin (I called him eventually) taught him/her some manners. Thanks for the help, hopefully I won't be needing to perform any such tasks anymore.

Edited by Drugwash

zillah:

First, you have to have nmap, winpcap (installed), dotnet 2.0 (installed) and nmapview.

Next, extract nmapview in a directory (folder), the default path for nmap should be a subdirectory (subfolder) of nmapview, but should not matter as long as you set the correct path.

nmapview.jpg

then its easy...

here's the output :w00t:

nmapview-output.jpg

There are lots of documentation on Nmapview's site. There are also video demos swf1 (3mb) swf2 (1.7mb).

• 2 weeks later...

i wanted to post this in my older post about CHEOPS buit unfortunatly it was closed.

is there any exprienced programmer in networking tools? well i hate to see that a very usefull tool like cheops is only avaliable in unix systems.im sure it must not be hard to be done for windows platform as far as its an open-source tool and it use nmap techniques(which is opensource too).

it simply use TTL option in packet to determine the next hob and then scan that ips range (not only icmp)and then create a graphical usefull map.

so anyone can be the first to make such a program for windows?

And thanks MAU-YONG for Nmapview :thumbup

Edited by fatalwoomera