[Question] How do I remove all traces of personal data?

Lunac

Hi. I am selling my laptop on ebay and I was wondering how can I remove all traces of personal data and personlization. I already removed all the installed programs. Are there any tools that can do that? You know, clean the registry, wipe the disk, etc?

I would appreciate any assistance.

Title edited -- Please, use [TAGS] in your topic's title.

--Sonic

You can't really delete ALL your personnal data.

I think you have already deleted My Documents, My Pictures, My music , My Video.

You can use CCleaner to delete hisotry of IE , Cache and many traces of standard programs ...

You can create a new user (session) and after login with this, and delete the old account, and delete the old account in Documents & Settings too.

But it's not cleaned fully, you don't know where some personal data is stored. There are always traces ... The best is to format/reinstall (or restore/master) the system.

I agree with others that wiping the drive and reinstalling Windows is the best solution.

The wipe-tools mentioned use only one-pass overwrite with zeros (which is probably enough).

If you want total and non-recoverable data erase you can use:

CBL Data Shredder

It's free and only requires a simple registration.

The program can overwrite the data up to 35 times (!), which is overkill even for most government agencies (drives containing top-secret data must be physically destroyed).

Random data, 2 passes, is enough for most hard drives and security purposes (they will still be able to recover the data, but I don't think the buyer is going to want to buy your laptop just to get your data :)