controlling window size in HFSLIPped install

Goober2

I'm so happy in general with my finally-working HFSLIPped install that I kind of feel like an ingrate posting this, but I figured, what the hey, might as well. It's an aesthetic issue. In my HFSLIPped/FDV-fileset Win2000 installation, all windows open up to the same dimensions--you can't resize the "My Computer" window and then use "Apply to all Folders" to make the default size different.

I think that's cool--I'm not interested in retaining different view settings for each folder--it's just that the size FDV decided on is too large for my tastes, and I find that almost every time I double-click to open a new folder I immediately make it smaller. It'd be great if I could reset the size, but I've done a web search and came up empty (both in msfn--someone asked the question once, but never got an answer--and the larger 'net). Does anyone know what FDV did?

What I'm afraid of is that it's not just a registry hack, otherwise my web search would have found it. If it involves hex editing, I'm probably out of luck because I'd need my hand held perhaps a little too much...but I'd still like to know how it's done.

Thx

Are you referring to the windowing behaviour Windows XP has by default in classic view(opening new window per folder)? It opens them as 640x480 windows or something - WAY too large for those 3 text files in the folder, and annoying unless you have a 1600x1200 monitor. :blink:

I'm not sure how that would happen on Windows 2000, but I *think* something I did fixed it on an XP install. I don't remember what, so I'll just list everything for you to try...

Open a primary non-special folder(ex: C:\ or D:\Stuff).

Change all the view options to what you want.

Drag the window so that it's about 100x100(tiny so you only see 2-3 files and folders max in either direction.

Change arrangement to by "Type".

Use the Folder Options apply button to apply settings to all folders.

I seem to remember that if I applied changes to My Computer under XP, it would reset the options in all other folder types and go back to those 640x480 folder windows. :whistle:

Well, here's the deal. It's nothing I did, it's just that Microsoft keeps issuing new hotfixes to Internet Explorer.

In these hotfixes are shell files. Many of these new versions have subtly changed little things in Windows.

Shdocvw.dll, for example... The Shell32 and explorer files are new in the rollup, etc. It's no registry tweak. If you use my fileset with IE6 files (why would you want to, but just for example here) whenever you click 'search' and click a resulting file and go to File, Open Containing Folder, it doesn't work. It's just something we can thank Microsoft for.

I may have to doubt FDV on this one. I generated reg files for my windows explorer settings and placed them into the HFSVCPACK folder. Even though I'm using IE6, all my settings are the same after each install even though each time I install, I have new IE updates. Getting the reg tweak was difficult though. I think it took me 5 or 6 attempts to get it all. One thing I found out is that the explorer reg tweaks for FDV's fileset is the same as an IE5 system. Explorer reg tweaks for an IE6 system will only work on an IE6 system. Perhaps the settings are dependant on the main version of shlwapi.dll; by main version number I mean the 3 parts of the dll version. In my case, the version on this machine is 6.0.2800.1740, the version is 6.0.2800. This dll is highly integrated with IE6. The IE5 and FDV's set uses version 5.x.xxxx.

A quick search on window size got me tip that said if Explorer doesn't remember it's size to try holding the CTRL key while clicking on the "X" button. Probably not related, since your complaint is first time.

You could also kill the stored settings by using cmd prompt

reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU" /F

reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags" /F

<typing error corrected. Ignore reg - applys XP. (my bad)>

Edited by Electrician

Well, thx for replying, even if there's really no answer... for the record, the XP solutions definitely don't work for Win2000. (I had already found and tried them before posting my query.)

--Mike