[How To] Multi-boot DVD Guide

Creating the Boot Sector

- Open your CD or ISO with IsoBuster

- Go to "Bootable CD" -> Extract the *.img file.

...or download the boot sector you want from here:

Windows XP Home

Windows XP Pro

Windows 2000

Windows Server 2003

Windows NT 4.0

- Rename it to a PRO1.DAT

- Open PRO1.DAT in Hex Workshop

- Scroll down and replace i386 with PRO1

IPB Image

Can someone put all the fles in a zip folder and send it me please i need these files but the download link is dead...

thanks

since in the post i created nobody answered, maybe someone here knows an answer to this:

is it possible to integrate a server 2003 r2 version into a multiboot environment (2003 enterprise, standard, sp1, volume-license etc.)

do you have to apply a method similar to the 2003 SP! hack?

Hi all! Since Flyakite's Guide is offline for quite some time now, i'll try to add the missing files to one of those upload sites.

Hi Drago, if i understood right you're asking if it's possible to add Server 2003 Release 2 to a multi boot DVD. As far as i now theres absolutely no problem :) I believe you can add the entire Server 2003 R2 CD or just integrate the R2 component, like if it where a sleapstreamed update. The second option lets you choose from Server 2003 and Server 2003 R2. But in my opinion who ever has the chance to install R2 would never need the non-R2 version ;)

By the way, can someone give me a realistic reason for using Windows 2000 instead of Server 2003 R2?

I want to create a multiboot DVD with Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu Linux distros and on their install discs there are directories used by all 3 distros...I mean I cannot just copy the installation files of the three distros in one folder, because Ubuntu's files will get replaced with Kubuntu's and so on... How can I put the installation files of every distro in a separate directory on the DVD ?

Updated!

Fixed some offline links, since Flyakite's Multi Boot Guide's offline.

Fixes some spacing and added color for easier reading.

I've been on vacation and had little time to try out some new things i want to add to the guide. Any time soon i'll be adding some more cool features that make the work easier ;)

@damian666

I'll try to help you to include Win98 to your DVD, please feel free to ask any question if there's something not clearly specified.

1) Create a Windows 98 or Windows ME boot disk. You can do it from within your win98 OS, or you can get an image file from here.

2) Create a Win98 folder within your setup folder, your folder structure should look like this:

C:\DVD
C:\DVD\SETUP
C:\DVD\SETUP\Win98

3) copy the content of your Win98 CD to the C:\DVD\SETUP\Win98 folder (you may remove the "Extras" and "Support" folders.

4) If you have a Win98 boot disk image file (.ima or.img file), skip this step. If not, we assume you've created your Win98 startup diskette.

- Please download winimage (shareware). You can download it from here.

- Install it.

- Insert your win98 startup diskette on your floppy drive

- Open Winimage

- Click on Disk\Read Disk (or just press Ctrl+R)

- Click on File\Save As. Name it Win98.ima (be sure to select "Image file [*.IMA] from the 'Save as' dropdown list.

- Voilá! you have your Win98 Boot Image!

5) Copy Win98.ima to a folder of your choice, I personally prefer C:\DVD\Setup\BootSect, but it's up to you, just be sure it's not in the root folder of your project. Now here's the tricky part:

* Open Win98.ima file with winimage.

* Drag and drop Autoexec.bat file to your desktop. Don't close WinImage!!

* Right click Autoexec.bat file (in your desktop), and select Edit.

* find the following line (or the most similar)

path=%RAMD%:\;a:\;%path%;%CDROM%:\

* modify it to include your Win98 source in the path variable:

path=%RAMD%:\;a:\;%path%;%CDROM%:\;%CDROM%:\SETUP\Win98\

* Below that line type: Setup.exe, your autoexec.bat now should look like this (among other lines of code):

echo Loading...
echo.
path=%RAMD%:\;a:\;%CDROM%:\SETUP\Win98\
Setup.exe
echo.
GOTO QUIT

* Save your autoexec.bat file

* Drag it to your WinImage open window, click yes when prompted if you want to overwrite it.

* Save your Win98.ima file and close winimage.

6) Now goto C:\DVD\BOOT and open CDShell.ini (we'll be using André Guimarães Casal's file for this example) Add the following line just below the XP Professional one: print "2) Windows 98 \n". Part of your cdshell.ini should now look like this:

print c "\n\cXXÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ<\c0B$time $date\cXX>ÄÄ \n\n"
print c "\cXXMicrosoft Windows XP Professional \n\n"
print l "\cXXPress \c0BF1 \cXXfor Help"; print r "\c0Bwww.globalgrooves.pt.vu \n"
print c "\cXXÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ \n\n"
print "1) Windows XP Professional \n"
print "2) Windows 98 \n"
print "\n"
print "X) More Options... \n\n"

Now go to the getkey part and add: "if $lastKey == key[2]; THEN DISKEMU /Setup/BootSect/Win98.IMA" (without the quotes), be sure to point where your .IMA file resides. Now it should look like this:

MainKey:
getkey 20 boot 0x80
if $lastKey == key[1]; then goto XP_Pro
if $lastKey == key[2]; THEN DISKEMU /Setup/BootSect/Win98.IMA
if $lastKey == key[q]; then end

Save changes to your cdshell.ini file.

Now if you type number 2 key in the cdshell boot menu, cdshell will load win98.ima boot disk, which will run the autoexec.bat file, who is responsible for calling setup.exe from the C:\DVD\SETUP\Win98 folder.

Well, that's it, that should do the trick! :thumbup

Of course if you want your win98 setup to be unettended you'll have to deal with the msbatch.inf file. But that would take another tutorial beyond the scope this topic ;)

Again: fell free to ask! :whistle:

Edited by chon_

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!

I have (for Windows 98):

@ECHO OFF

set EXPAND=YES

SET DIRCMD=/O:N

cls

set temp=c:\

set tmp=c:\

path=a:\

IF "%config%"=="NOCD" GOTO QUIT

LH MSCDEX.EXE /D:oemcd001 /L:D

echo.

IF "%config%"=="SETUP_CD" goto AUTOSETUP

GOTO QUIT

:AUTOSETUP

set CDROM=FOO23

FINDCD.EXE

if "%CDROM%"=="FOO23" goto NOCDROM

path=a:\;%CDROM%\

%CDROM%

cd \WIN98

echo.

OEMSETUP.EXE /K "/IE /NF"

goto QUIT

:NOCDROM

echo.

echo The Windows 98 Setup files were not found.

echo.

:QUIT

should i mod it to...

@ECHO OFF

set EXPAND=YES

SET DIRCMD=/O:N

cls

set temp=c:\

set tmp=c:\

path=a:\

IF "%config%"=="NOCD" GOTO QUIT

LH MSCDEX.EXE /D:oemcd001 /L:D

echo.

IF "%config%"=="SETUP_CD" goto AUTOSETUP

GOTO QUIT

:AUTOSETUP

set CDROM=FOO23

FINDCD.EXE

if "%CDROM%"=="FOO23" goto NOCDROM

echo Loading...

echo.

path=%RAMD%:\;a:\;%CDROM%:\SETUP\Win98\

Setup.exe

echo.

GOTO QUIT

:NOCDROM

echo.

echo The Windows 98 Setup files were not found.

echo.

:QUIT

Thanks for your time!

• 2 weeks later...

im tring to make a muiltboot dvd but the windows i want to put on dont have then winnt32.exe so i cant get $WIN_NT$.~BT and $WIN_NT$.~LS and i was wondering if there was some way to get aroud that cuz im trying to make a aio with 8 different windows xp and 1 windows 2003 and i was tring to use magiciso to make it but evey time i test it i get cannot boot from cd and ive made it twice and got the same probly and going through this guide i dont knwo how to get the to files needed sence i dont have winnt32.exe in any of my i386 folders