Will a regular dvd reader drive in a pc read dvd-dual layer media?

I have not yet purchased a Dual Lauyer DVD Burner but plan to since they are going for next to nothing around online (found a 16x ide dual layer butner for 50$) but I had one major concern.

How do I know if other dvd-rom readers on laptops and desktop computers that only can read dvd media will be able to read a Dual Layer disk? Will most dvd readers read dual layer media?

Thanks,

MrChris

sweet thanks for the reply. I figured they would but since I do not yet have one I figured I would ask the rest of the world.

One last thing. Do they make Black writeable DVDs? Kinda like the Black CD-Rs I have a tone of,

Thanks for the reply,

Well I broke down and bought a SAMSUNG SH-W162L LIGHTSCRIBE 16X DVD±RW DUAL LAYER+NERO from EBay. Hope it works. only coast $50.

Those black cdr's are pretty nice. I wouldnt think that it would be that hard to make Black DVD-Rs or Black CD-RW's.

MrChris

Buy white DVD-R's and spray them black :)

It actually isnt hard to make any colour dvd-r's or cd'd because all it is is a coating over the plastic on one side of the disk. But dont know if anyone is doing it for dvd-r's yet.

Caution!

The side of the disk with the 'coating' is actually the side with your data on it! You can scratch the clear plastic side and still recover data, but scratch the other side and you will watch your data flake off in beautiful refracted colors.

From Wiki:

Compact discs are made from a 1.2 mm thick disc of polycarbonate plastic coated with a much thinner layer of Super Purity Aluminium (or rarely, gold, used for its data longevity, such as in some limited-edition audiophile CDs) layer which is protected by a film of lacquer

The lacquer does help to protect the data layer but if you use a label on it, don't try removing it. Get the label off center and you will throw your CD out of balance. Put anything on the 'label' side of the disk that might eat into the lacquer and you are risking losing your data.

And I have some cheap black Memorex CD's. If I hold them up to the light, the polycarbonate plastic is actually burgundy in color. Remember, the data is on aluminum or gold, which ain't black and it is between the plastic and the lacquer.

DL

I'm in the computer business.....have been for way too long. :w00t:

I go through a dozen or so CD's every week.

I saw those black CD's in the store one day (a few years ago) and just had to have some.

I bought a spindle of 50. Big mistake.

They wrote and read just fine on my new, state of the art, burner/reader, but on older (4x, 6x, 8x) readers of my customers.....NO GO!.

The newer drives, I was later told, use a different frequency of laser than the old drives.

The older lasers can't penetrate that black coating and so cannot read the disks.

I gave away the last of my black disks and transfered all my utils, etc., to Silver disks.

I no longer have a black CD in the house.

I found one a week or so ago and it went in the scredder with some other stuff I was cleaning out.

Now, if you want the ultimate in CD presentation.....

Get the silver, printable CD's (Verbatim) and an Epson Photo R220 or Photo R340 printer, that can print directly on the printable CD. I've gone to that method of CD labeling 100%.

My old CD Stomper is sitting in the corner gathering dust. :wacko:

Of course I still use the ol' Sharpie method. (write on the top of the CD with a Sharpie marking pen) :lol:

I have both of those Epson printers and they are absolutely fabulous!

Forget the black CD's and have a great day,

Andromeda43 B)