Finalising PC Specs

Aaron

I'm trying to finalise the PC specs that I'm going to buy and build in 3 weeks time. Here's the specs in full:

3.0GHz Intel Pentium 4 (800MHz FSB) HT

Enermax Whisper EG465AX-VE 460W ATX Power Supply

Abit Canterwood IC7-G MaxII Advance Motherboard

Corsair 1GB DualDDR XMS3200 TwinX (400MHz) (2x512MB Modules)

Hercules 3D Prophet 9800 Pro 128MB DDR

Creative SB Live! Platinum 5.1 (from older PC)

60GB Maxtor 7,200rpm

200GB Wester Digital Caviar 7200rpm 8MB Cache

Pioneer DVD-120S Slot DVD-ROM

LiteOn LTR-52246S 52x/24x/52x CD-RW

Floorstanding Stereo Speakers with Amplifier

Logitech MX 700 Cordless Optical Mouse

Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard Special Edition

I'm still undecided on the whole CRT/TFT Monitor thing, should I get a 17" TFT, or a 19" CRT? (I would have definitely gone for a CRT if I wasn't going to the LAN party at the end of august), and I'm still unsure about gaming on TFTs despite what others have said.

For the case, I'm still looking at Coolermaster/Lian Li branded ones, they look good. I also probably won't buy a DVD rewriter until all the DVD-R/+R/-RW/+RW formats have reached 8x or so.

Anything else I've missed out? I'll need a static band too (got a carpeted floor at home) but don't know anywhere that's selling it. As well as some cabling straps to keep power cables to the sides of the cases and round them up etc.

Hey ArronXp, if you are looking for the monitors go with the CRT they have the edge when it comes to image quality and most certainly compliments your grahics card, and they tend to be cheaper, but if you are looking for mobility go with the TFT.

May I recommend the Chenming #AX-01 case, these are excellent, im gonna be having my hardware in one of these puppies.

3500_overview.jpg.

Sunil

P.s Kudos on the Mother Board :):rolleyes:

I like that case, slightly has a bit of an Antec/Chieftec feel to it though

Will the case door shut if I have extra mods in my 5.25 drive bay, such as the fan control and cpu temp gadgets from Vantec? Because the fan control knobs will stick out a bit.

I like that case, slightly has a bit of an Antec/Chieftec feel to it though

Will the case door shut if I have extra mods in my 5.25 drive bay, such as the fan control and cpu temp gadgets from Vantec? Because the fan control knobs will stick out a bit.

The Thermaltake Xaser 3 series fixed this problem. And i highly reccomend the cases. Well build nice looking and decently priced.

|Drew|

No surround sound and only one monitor? You're dumping so much cash into it anyway, I'd get either a low-end 5.1 like the Altec Lansing 251 or go high end, like the Klipsch Promedia 5.1. I have a set of the Promedias and I absolutely love them!

CRT is the way to go for price and picture quality, but if you lan a lot, maybe one CRT and a TFT... Or 2 CRTs--the KDS XF7 and XF9 series are excellent and inexpensive. I got my XF9 (19") shipped for $180 USD, and an XF7 (the 17" :)) can be had here in the States for about $125. Maybe buy two 17''?

The Radeon 9800 supports two monitors--might as well use it--and once you've used two you'd never want to go back to one...Look how much you can do! No more minimizing and resizing and moving windows :rolleyes: Or, while playing long bouts of Battlefield 1942, you can still see your chat windows up on the other screen, so you can keep track of what's going on.

post-5-1058422960_thumb.jpg

Whohoo! Saves money :) A friend of mine found a lil' 15 inch by a dumpster in our dorm. The previous owner didn't know about dual monitors and threw it out after an upgrade!

Nice system though...you'll be able to turn everything on, even in Half-Life and Doom III.

heheh :)

If for example I get a 19" CRT/TFT running at 1280 res, will I have to switch it to 1024 for dual monitor support with my 17"?

How would the keyboard and mouse react if I was playing a game on one monitor, and browsing on another monitor? Is there ATI switching software similar to how a KVM hardware switch would function?

The mouse will behave as if you have one monitor while you play a game. You just alt-tab out to minimize it and do something else. When the two screens are different resolutions, you just have to remember that you have a little "step" to overcome. I have a nice 17" which facilitates 1280x960@85Hz for both monitors. Here's an example of what two resolutions would look like, and you don't see the black; that's just the virtual "step" you have to move your mouse around.

I like having two monitors so I can browse while working on a Paintshop project or having a walkthrough or cheats up when playing a difficult game. General web browsing becomes far easier, too.

post-5-1058439654_thumb.jpg