3400 Sempron + Asrock k8nf4g

m1ck

First off:

amd sempron 3400+ palermo core

asrock k8nf4g motherboard s754

1GB ddr400 ram stick

(yes i know everyone says asrock are crap) but thats got i've got and cant get any other mobo,

so please don't waste your typing skills and your energy by typing "just get a dfi mobo or the whatever :D lol)...

Right, hi all, i have tried overclocking with this setup the most stable i can get it is about 2400MHz, does anybody else have this setup or similar running at a higher speed, also i've heard that no 2 cpu's o'c the same which makes sense but i'd be interested to here if you have a 3400 sempron running faster.

core speed: 2400.0MHz

multiplier: x10

HTT: 240.0MHz

Voltage: fluctuating between 2.880 v - 2.994 v

cpu temp: 33 degrees centigrade

Even if i find that all im gunna get from this, an extra 400MHz is still good.

thats a pretty good overlclock and probably the highest that u will reach. u can try 2500 if u want but that will just require too much voltage.

oops sorry i forgot to mention that i have a 650w psu but have tried to oc to 2500,although windows xp will run no games or apps like fruityloops will run they just lock up.

Edited by m1ck

ok since your using a ddr 400 stick, make sure its not that causing your issues, by using memtest.

you can also try going up 1 knotch on the ltd/chipset volts, and changing the ltd multiplyer to 3.

i've seen a sempron 2600+ 754 hit 3.0ghz with something like 1.8V, on water lol.

Edited by gdogg

Voltage: fluctuating between 2.880 v - 2.994 v
Are you sure about that? I haven't seen core voltages of nearly 3 volts since the Pentium 233... according to http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_ty...pec_Rev_ENG.pdf the standard core voltage is only 1.40v !

your absolutely right, but when i checked it yesterday evening thats what it said.

reboot7ku.png

Edit: it seems to be that voltage on reboot is this good or bad?.

Edited by m1ck

That kind of voltage is totally insane, your processor might die early.

I've got the same mobo as you, with a Sempron 2500+, & it overclocks from its native 1.4 GHz to my current 2.1 GHz, with no sweat at all (*touchwood*). This, with just a slight increase in voltage, from 1.40v to 1.440v.

Also my default operating temperature was 25C, now with the over-clock, the processor ran up to 31C.

yah I too thought that voltage was insane.

I dont even belive asrock boards will allow that type of voltage.

do you have other tools to confirm that its not just improperly read by the version of the program your using about?

What voltage does it say in the BIOS?

i think i've got it set at 1.30v or something like that it seems to settle down though i've just checked it and its now at 1.440v cpu temp 35 c case temp is 35 degrees centigrade.

@Gdogg: imu using cpuz v1.33.1, i've just checked cpuz website and its the latest version.cpuz validation

Edited by m1ck

CPU-Z just shows double the voltage, that’s all ;).

Your RAM is the problem you can’t OC it more. There are BIOS-mods for this motherboard that gives you 2 fields of MEM settings more (timings) based on the 1.6 version of the BIOS. I never tried that motherboard with a 3400+ but if it supports C´n´Q then you should be able to set voltage setting to 1.6v then you could hit the 2700-2800MHz or even higher.

CPU-Z just shows double the voltage, that’s all ;).

Your RAM is the problem you can’t OC it more. There are BIOS-mods for this motherboard that gives you 2 fields of MEM settings more (timings) based on the 1.6 version of the BIOS. I never tried that motherboard with a 3400+ but if it supports C´n´Q then you should be able to set voltage setting to 1.6v then you could hit the 2700-2800MHz or even higher.

C 'n' Q whats that?

Bios Version:p1.70 award bios

the memory parameters that i have available to me in the bios are as follows:

MEM Clock --currently set to 133MHz - DDR266

Flexibility option

Bank interleaving

Burst length

CAS latency

TRCD

TRAS

TRP

MA Timing

what should these be set to or would it be best to leave them set at auto.

Cpu currently running at 2.440.0MHz

Edited by m1ck

C'n'Q information.

Auto settings are just fine, let me download 1.70 and see what it does better then 1.60. I will tell you tomorrow :).

ok thanks, C & Q is enabled btw

Edited by m1ck

If C'n'Q is working you will be able to set the CPU voltage settings; can you do that? If you can´t set the voltage then your CPU is not C'n'Q compatible.

Let me download and update the BIOS now, give me a hour :P...

Edit: looks like a better BIOS then 1.6, before I got it to 250MHz FSB, now to 266MHz. I use 2800+ CPUs @ 2127MHz and RAM on 425MHz (DDR, cas. 2.5, "brand" A-DATA).

Question: What kind of DIMM do you use? What do you run on that computer? Any games?

Edited by puntoMX