Including nLite Driver CABs

mystek

@mystek - Read what Tomcat said a few lines up. To rephrase, all hfslip does is pack additional files into the driver.cab file and update the drvindex.inf file. If what you are saying about NLITE making additional folders, you're probably better off just using the OEM method of drivers because it's doing the same exact thing. If you are on the quest for the smallest installation cd, I may suggest doing some homework on the link that murvun posted above. I'm in the same boat as Tomcat with driver stuff. I've been using the OEM method for years and it works 100% of the time.

Subfolders aren't supported.
Without some modifications. :thumbup

Actually, right now I'm rather stumped on how to get my SATA drivers working at textmode. :huh: For now I just keep nLiting it, but once I learn more about how it's done I'll happily incorporate it into HFSLIP. That'll probably be a while though, since nLite makes it so much easier. ;)

The DriverPack won't be integrated. I've taken a look at it some time ago and HFSLIP needs to be updated to support it.

Do you plan to add the support for BTS? :rolleyes:

I had a quick look at it some time ago but that wasn't enough to figure out how the DriverPacks work. Coding it is fairly easy... but figuring out what needs to be done is something else.
Subfolders aren't supported.
Without some modifications. :thumbup
Adding support for subfolders is trivial. I just need to know how files inside them are being accessed. Should DRVINDEX.INF have lines like these?

01\myfile.inf

01\myfile.cab

02\myfile.sys

02\myfile.drv

I don't have any clue. I just made it so it can grab all the files from their proper subfolders and shove them into the same place, as well as not activating HFDRV if there are no .inf files in those subfolders. That way I could also add an _UNUSED folder for archiving older drivers and stuff. For the drivers I tested it worked fine(display drivers), but I still had to use nLite for the textmode portion.

A little off-topic, but could you change this line:

START /WAIT SP\i386\update\update.exe -u -n -o -q -s:%~dp0SOURCE\

To this?

START /WAIT SP\i386\update\update.exe -u -n -o -q -s:"%~dp0SOURCE\"

Looking at Tomcat76's post, the folder structure 01\mydriver.sys is how it is done in nLite and I would think it would work well for HFSLIP. That way two files with the same name wouldn't/shouldn't overwrite each other. Also I am trying to deal with textmode USATA drivers too. I will try to check how nLite deals with them since they work well if nLited.

Edited by mystek

Kramy, to make your SATA drivers slipstreamed do it manually. Here's what I did in my source folder.

Edit the txtsetup.sif to add the appropriate driver files and other settings. You'll have to makecab the binaries and throw them into the source\i386.

Here's what I add to my txtsetup. This is for a via sata/raid mobo.

[sourceDisksFiles]

viapdsk.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4

viamraid.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4

[HardwareIdsDatabase]

PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3249 = "viamraid"

PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149 = "viamraid"

PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3164 = "viamraid"

PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_4149 = "viapdsk"

[sCSI.load]

viamraid = viamraid.sys,4

viapdsk = viapdsk.sys,4

[sCSI]

viapdsk = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller"

viamraid = "VIA SATA RAID Controller"

All I have to say about the BTS installer is this. I read thru the bts installer a while back and what it does is replace your setup files with his own. This doesn't really lend itself nicely to slipstreaming other things. Because your windows setup files are being replaced with his, you will get NLITE problems, as evident on the NLITE boards. Just a word of caution thats all. Then again, his installer I looked at was from a while back, perhaps by now he tweaked things to make them better. See the above crazy code? That is what would have to be automatically generated by hfslip.

edit: removed post because i didnt read all the threads properly. I originally suggested a possible way of adding driverpack support but hadnt read all the info fully. From what people say, the big problems are all the .inf files point to special driver directories under weird names. Looks extremely difficult to do and time consuming to do.

Edited by Axed

• 5 months later...
Adding support for subfolders is trivial.
Was this feature added? I would like to try this method out if the feature is implemented.

FYI, the MSFN Unattended Guide recommends this format for the subfolders:

000_chipset

001_network

002_graphics

003_tv_out

004_sound

005_monitor

006_keyboard

007_mouse

008_and_so_on

Perhaps a link to this thread should be added to the webpage?

Hello ALL :hello:

I have a little idea about including SATA/RAID drivers into HFSLIP. The solution is not universal and it will need updating as new hardware is out but it may be a way to go.

Based on TommyP's information:

1. HFSLIP creats a folder for sata binaries. The content of this folder is added under [sourceDisksFiles] section. The binaries are cabbed and placed into the source.

2. If HFSLIP founds any files in this folder it writes prepared information about ALL possible SATA/RAID drivers into TXTSETUP.SIF sections [HardwareIdsDatabase] [sCSI.load] [sCSI] like in TommyP's example. A few more additional lines won't hurt. And it is not necessary HFSLIP should contain the information in its code, it could take this from a STORAGE.TXT file with all info placed in HFTOOLS.

We could take all needed information about ALL possible SATA/RAID settings in BST packs or gather it ourselves (I can provide some).

Maybe somebody interested even would keep this project like with hotfixes.

In fact the idea is not mine. If I find the athore (should save the link somewhere) I'll tell you.

Regards,

Oleg 2

Edited by Oleg_II

(I see Oleg_II has successfully tested HFSLIP's "forward time travel" feature)

This approach would be a huge selling point (you have to admit, the $OEM$ do-it-the-hard-way crowd seems awfully slow to adopt) but all possible settings is going to make a mighty big file, no?

What if we write a FAQ on this, and pin it, and have different approaches. For example, I like step one, but how about a user-created hfsata.inf that is put into the HFSATA directory (which a user creates manually, like certain other HF folders, to avoid questions from non-instruction readers). The user would inject the information from, (or rename the) inf driver file. I assume Oleg_II means to include them both in the DRIVERS cab file.

Over all I really like this idea but IMO we should depend more heavily on user action for step two.

Good to have you back, Oleg :)

FDV :hello:

No, I mean WE creat STORAGE.TXT (or INI) and place it for downloading. User will download it and place into HFTOOLS directory. And the only thing he need to do - provide the binaries for his/her hardware.

What about the binaries? I'm not sure if it is legally to make a general package and re-distribute it.

If it is possible we can create the collection of files for a user to download.

If not it will need a user place say all binaries himself in the folder (placing files is much easier then editing something ;)

Sorry I have not tried installing SATA/RAID as I don't have one. But from what I see in descriptions it should be not too hard.

By the way here is the link I talked about.