FAT32 to NTFS conversion; risk free?

Reino

I'm still not entirely sure whether this belongs in the software- of hardware-section, but anyway...

My mother got her self a nice ASUS laptop 2 months ago and everything seems to be working fine. It also has all the pre-installed junk on it, *cough*Norton Internet Security*cough*. But I also noticed the harddisk is formated with a FAT32 table, and on the desktop they put a batch-file to convert everything to NTFS.

Now my question is; Is this conversion process risk free? I mean, will all the files be still intact?

Thanks in advance

It's safe in theory but there is always some risk involved in things like that. Worst case could be power loss half way through the process and you have to hard format and lose everything. Best thing just to back everything important up before you convert.

Not risk free, but the chances of it proceding as expected is rather high.

I recommend you stay with FAT32 unless you need the extra features of NTFS e.g. security permission options.

I'm still not entirely sure whether this belongs in the software- of hardware-section, but anyway...

My mother got her self a nice ASUS laptop 2 months ago and everything seems to be working fine. It also has all the pre-installed junk on it, *cough*Norton Internet Security*cough*. But I also noticed the harddisk is formated with a FAT32 table, and on the desktop they put a batch-file to convert everything to NTFS.

Now my question is; Is this conversion process risk free? I mean, will all the files be still intact?

Thanks in advance

Everything has risk; this is a low-risk affair.

I disagree with a previous poster's suggestion to stick with FAT32. FAT32 is obsolete, error-prone, not journaled, and has issues with large files, with unexpected shutdowns, with power outages, and every time you sneeze on it. FAT32 is obsolete; let it die, and move to the current NTFS.

Thanks for the replies so far.

One thing I discovered was, that it seems to takes much longer to completely defragment a FAT32 HDD then NTFS one. I recently defragmented my computer after a long time, and it didn't take THAT much time. As you can see in my signature I have 2 SATA HDDs (69Gb and 233Gb, both NTFS of course), and the defragmentation process didn't even take that much time to finish, while both HDDs were rather heavily fragmented!

As for the laptop; it has a 40Gb HDD, 2 partitions of around 20Gb. Even with one partition, after one hour and a half / two hours it was only at 20% or so! :s I roughly know the differences between FAT32 and NTFS, but I didn't suspect this.

bluesreens, just for the record, while the first 2 replies suggest I should play it save, are you saying that I can do this conversion process anytime I want without losing files? (It's just that I don't like the idea of reinstalling windows and everything again on a brand new laptop.)

FYI:

Asus - A6B00U Sempron Mobile 3000+

Scherm: 15.4" WXGA TFT

Processor: AMD Sempron 3000+ Mobile 1800MHz

Intern geheugen: 512 Mb DDR 333

Chipset: SiS M760GX

Software: Microsoft Windows XP Home

Harde schijf: 40 Gb 4200 RPM

CD / DVD drive: 8x DVD Super Multi Double Layer

VGA kaart: Onboard SiS Mirage TM 2 Graphics

VGA Aansluitingen: VGA

Geluidskaart: AC 97 S/W Audio

Floppydrive: N.v.t.

Speakers: Ingebouwde Stereospeakers

USB Poorten: 4x USB 2.0

1394 Firewire: N.v.t.

Modem: V.92 MDC Fax/Modem with AC-link Version. 2.1 Compliant

Netwerkkaart: 10/100

Wireless LAN: IEEE 802.11b/g

Bluetooth: N.v.t.

Infrarood: N.v.t.

Accuduur: 8 Cells, 4400 mAh, 65 Whrs Laadtijd: 4 uur / 2.5uur (Systeem aan/uit) tot 95%

Gewicht: 2.85 Kg

Omvang: 354 x 284 x 35.2 mm (W x D x H)

Bijzonderheden: 4 in 1 Cardreader

You can do conversion anytime. It is supposed to go without problems but as always backup your documents and other stuff your mom might need in case something goes wrong. As it is laptop power outage isn't problem here but better to be safe then sorry. Especially that it will be usefull later on since laptopt hdd's need special care and they often get broken. Now to the point.. You can either use the script provided by notebook vendor or just do

1. Click START.

2. Choose Run.

3. Write 'cmd' (without ' ').

4. Black window should open up. Type 'convert /?' and read what results you have ;) Should give you idea.

I would do it like convert C: /FS:NTFS /V. Although i am not sure if V is realy needed for you :)