DDR memory speed

WildKat

ahh for dual support.. read this webpage

it would make your ram run at the speed of a p4 fsb, either 533 or 800, lucky you :)

when you put for example, two 512mb 400mhz ddr sticks they will automatically run at an effective 800mhz (as each stick uses the whole bandwidth) with a regular 1gb total

ahh for dual support.. read this webpage

it would make your ram run at the speed of a p4 fsb, either 533 or 800, lucky you  :)

when you put for example, two 512mb 400mhz ddr sticks they will automatically run at 800mhz with regular 1gb total on dual ddr mobo's

Now I'm looking forward to it! excited.gif

dual ddr is comparable to having rambus memory on a p4 system. however you wont notice a great improvement unless you somehow manage to use up all the bandwidth of single ddr then move onto the extra bandwidth available. remember its an effective 800mhz because memory bandwidth is doubled to ideally equal the p4 fsb.

its always an ideal situation when FSB runs at the same speed as memory. theres no benefit from ram running faster than the fsb.

so if you bought a p4 3ghz 800mhz fsb and had two 512mb 400mhz sticks on a dual ddr mobo then your system isnt bottlenecked anywhere and should run at an optimum kickass speed whilst saving cash spending on rdram.

dual ddr is comparable to having rambus memory on a p4 system. however you wont notice a great improvement unless you somehow manage to use up all the bandwidth of single ddr then move onto the extra bandwidth available. remember its an effective 800mhz because memory bandwidth is doubled to ideally equal the p4 fsb.

its always an ideal situation when FSB runs at the same speed as memory. theres no benefit from ram running faster than the fsb.

so if you bought a p4 3ghz 800mhz fsb and had two 512mb 400mhz sticks on a dual ddr mobo then your system isnt bottlenecked anywhere and should run at an optimum kickass speed whilst saving cash spending on rdram.

Quite true. What about the data bottlekneck with the hard drive, ATA specifications, ATA-100 vs. ATA-133?

I agree. I have a system in which I went from 266 to 333 without changing anything else (and my mobo supports 333). In games, I gained nominal frames-per-second increases (somewhere around 3-6 percent better). In 3dMark 2001, my score went up by 5.8 percent. If you're going to cough up that much money, it might be a wiser investment to upgrade your processor to get a larger performance increase.

alright it seems you guys are getting a little confused (or im a little drunk :) )

its the fsb x 4 pipelines or highways as the linked article uses that term.

the 800 mhz fsb p4's dont actually run a 800 mhz fsb. they run a fsb of 200mhz x four pipes. 800 is the "effective" fsb.

p4 w/ 533 uses 4x133mhz

p4 w/ 400 runs 4x100mhz

amd uses varients of the same except they all run at 2xfsb, instead of 4

Dual Chan DDR Syncs the mem banks up to double the mem bus speed. It achieves this by using more then the one chan that memory generlly uses.

alright im a little confused by this one. are you saying that DC doubles the mem speed?

all that DC does is give you more room on the "highway". instead of using one 64bit pipe, it gives you a 128bit pipe. it gives you 2x the amount of "lanes on the highway" but doesnt change the speed limit.