HFSLIP and Symantec Livestate Delivery

poed

Hi all!

This may seem like a strange post, but please bear with me...

I am trying to build installs for os's; 2000, xp, 2003, but I cannot seem to install them without fatal errors. I use Symantec's Livestate Delivery to install on my clients, which basically is a tool to distribute software to managed computers.

I follow the guides on this site to the letter, using only critical and required patches from Tomcat76's list and ofcourse the latest HFSLIP (60310).

My foremost concern is that HFSLIP does not copy SP4.cab to SOURCESS\i386. How do I verify that all the other SP4 files are copied to the same folder? I have tried to pre-patch SOURCE\i386 with sp4, as well as letting HFSLIP slipstream it, but it gives the same result.

I really love the idea of having this great script to help med in the jungle, but I need some help getting things to work.

Sincerly, Pontus

I am tired so I might be missing something, but here goes.

In HFSLIP, there is an undocumented feature in the program that shows up just before the build process starts... it lets you choose 3 methods of compressing the driver and sp4 cabs via a merge, and three methods without merging them. I am not clear from reading your post that you are selecting options D, E, or F here. SP4.CAB won't be created if you selected to merge driver CABs with choices A, B, or C; perhaps that's what you did?

SP4.CAB won't be created if you selected to merge driver CABs with choices A, B, or C; perhaps that's what you did?

I have been choosing option 'A' since it should give good overall performance. But even if I choose to merge with 'A', shouldn't the install work? It gives me all kinds of filecopy errors. Also something about missing [files] section of the Setup information file...

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought I understood the meaning of the compression methods, but I missed that. Sorry! Will try that immediately!

Thanks, Pontus

Ok, this time I used option 'E', and recompiled. At install it hung on a copy error of the file mpeg2data.ax. I tracked it down to DirectX so I excluded BDANT.cab and dxnt.cab as well as KB904706. After recompiling again I instead get an error while windows is trying to copy 'spx.cab'... It would seem like a reference to sp4 is missing somewhere?

Thanks for helping me out!

//Pontus

ERROR_REPORT.zip

The latest final version is 60317 (March 17). You can also use the latest test build (60320a) which is stable as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for helping me,

I forgot to mention that I updated to 60317. Sorry for that, I will also try 60320a. I have attached my reportfile. Is there anything besides trying the testbuild I can do in the meantime to help investigate? (I have never attached anything like this before, hope it worked!)

BR, Pontus

Your path - E:\##WORK\2000_SLIPSTREAM\hfslip_60317\
Pontus, you need to remove all the punctuation from the names of your folders.

STEP THREE:

Create a new folder on D:\ called HFSLIP. This folder must not have any punctuation in its name, so don't decide to get creative.
Dump your HFSLIP folder into the root of E:\ and your problems should be fixed.

-- Super-Magician :)

Edited by Super-Magician

From your previous posts, it's obvious that Symantec's Livestate Delivery uses DOSNET.INF when installing Windows. DOSNET.INF-based installs can't be used when DirectX9 is slipstreamed (because of mpeg2data.ax) and I suppose the same goes for LegitCheckControl (legitcheckcontrol.dll). MSIE6 should be fine but I'm not sure of that.

Please follow Super-Magician's advise and let us know how it goes...

I've got HFSLIP stashed away in: E:\Other Software\nLite\_SlipStream

Since nLite was the first one of these tools I learned about, all my windows-reduction related stuff goes in nLite subfolders. :D

Hey Tomcat, can you clarify what a DOSNET.INF-based install is for me? I've used the unattended oem-preinstall method of nLite in the past, and if you remove DOSNET.inf it throws lots of errors. I thought all installs required that file, so please clarify what you mean for a newbie. :)

@Kramy

As far as I know, it is used when the installation is initiated through winnt.exe (floppy disk) or winnt32.exe (installation from within a running Windows).

The errors you get when removing DOSNET.INF and doing a regular CD-based install (boot off CD) are probably due to DOSNET.INF being a "protected file". You need to hack some DLLs to shush Windows setup.

Edited by Tomcat76

Hi again,

I did as you suggested, and moved the hfslip folder to the root of E: (E:\hfslip). The problem with copying spx.cab still persists though. Just for the sake of investigation, I will copy the source I just built to a cd and make a manual installation... I'll let you know.

What does the fact that windows tries to copy 'SPx.cab' mean?

Thanks, Pontus

Dosnet is only needed if doing winnt.exe or winnt32.exe as TC76 stated. However, it is not a protected file. Layout.inf is a protected file.

If you are running a winnt.exe or winnt32.exe install command and you are getting copy errors with spx.cab, please post your dosnet.inf so we can fix the script. Thanks!

DOSNET.zipI made a bootable cd and installed my build manually with winnt.exe, and the same copyerror was still there. I have attached my dosnet.inf. Would this mean that DX9 could work this way also?

Thanks guys! Pontus

I don't see anything wrong with the DOSNET.INF file. Do you still get copy errors when booting off the CD (ie, do a regular install)?

BTW... The "x" in "spx.cab" doesn't stand for a random number; it's an actual "x".

When you integrate SP4, SP4.CAB is created in the i386 folder. This package contains newer versions of files in DRIVER.CAB but MS didn't feel like updating DRIVER.CAB for you directly as it may use quite a bit of CPU power to do so. SPX.CAB contains newer versions of files in DRIVER.CAB and SP4.CAB which came with the hotfixes that you include.