Replacing Mediaplayer

wela

The quality and resources used in ffdshow depends entirely on who did the builds. You have to download a good build such as these builds by the creater milan. Try to avoid the others, many of the gcc builds have annoying bugs such as not working on non-sse computers and the ic9 builds are slower on AMD machines. Milan's builds might have a couple of bugs still, such as vorbis audio stutters occasionally and dvd decoding not working, but other then that it works extremely well.

If your after a completely independant non-directshow you should also look at The Core Pocket Media Player which uses almost no resources and can be used on almost any pc that will install xp to run most videos.

No problem, Wela. I learned something too. :)

Thanks for the info, Axed. The picture is quite bad with TCPMP and the player itself could use some improvement (turn off Full Screen without pausing the video and open files on a different hard drive from File> Open file), but I experienced not a single hiccup playing a DivX movie and a 320kbps MP3 file. I'm gonna keep this one until I find a better solution.

I tried those ffdshow builds you're talking of over a year ago. I'll give the latest version a shot.

I only just discovered HFSlip and i love it! Thanks guys!! I had weird errors with RyanVM packs and i didnt like how i couldnt pick what i wanted to install.. I love the flexibility! And, it just works.. What better way to compliment software then it just working?

Thanks!

With regards to The Core Pocket Media Player (TCPMP for short) heres the page with beta versions. If your interested, i can also send you the AVC decoder they released at one stage which uses about half the resources as directshow. I can play AVC files on my pc with almost no cpu useage! When even a junker like this old AMD system (athlon 1000 no sse) can play files using this program, you know its good! Mind you, it will become a payware program when it becomes a final, but if its not to expensive it'll definately be worth it for those of us who dont really have a need for extremely fast computers.

Im waiting eagerly for a linux version that works in MythTV and an xbox version so that we can use even more low spec systems for playing movies.

Here's a good site: http://celticdruid.no-ip.com/xvid/

You can download good up-to-date builds of ffdshow, mplayer, mpc....

If you want a really good player, try MPlayer+MPUI : http://mpui.sourceforge.net/

MPlayer is the lightest, best-quality, fastest (try to seek in a movie, it's instantaneous), and most powerful (you can dump any stream you play). It even includes an encoder.

But it doesn't have a graphical UI. (in fact, it does but still in beta stage).

You can use a frontend such as MPUI which is IMHO the best for windows (did several tries, you can trust me)

In fact, ffdshow is quite part of MPlayer.

It's MPlayer's decoding part that has been ported to Windows.

...ported to windows This says everything; it's harder to make a proper build.

I wish they'd provide a little more info. I got an Athlon64 CPU but I'm using Win2K 32-bit and WinXP 32-bit (like the majority of people who own an Athlon64 system). This is what I found:

2006-03-16 - mplayer2006.03.16.Athlon-XP.7z

2006-03-16 - mplayer2006.03.16.Athlon-64.7z

So what do I use? Is the Athlon64 build intended for all Athlon64 CPUs or only when the user is running a 64-bit OS on it?

The quality and resources used in ffdshow depends entirely on who did the builds. You have to download a good build such as these builds by the creater milan.
I tried the one from November 29 and wasn't impressed. The hiccups are back, and the picture just freezes from time to time (the latter doesn't happen with the build in the K-Lite Mega codec package).
I'll try this ffdshow build (November 3). Edited by Tomcat76

I personnaly have a Turion and had the same question.

Having an Athlon64 build means mplayer will handle SSE, SSE2, SSE3 (?), 3D!Now, and the last one I forgot.

Just run MPlayer in a DOS-box (so without MPUI) and you'll see a few lines about handled CPU instructions. :)

Well... I tried the other ffdshow installers and I couldn't find a single one that does good.

Meanwhile, I downloaded TCPMP 0.72RC1 and I started to play with it. I found you can change the brightness, color, etc, and there's even a page where you can set keyboard shortcuts for all sorts of functions. F11 now toggles Full Screen. I also found out you can skip forward and backward using the arrow left & right buttons... really cool. Just one problem: when it's playing, I can't type in another program because hitting any keys that are assigned to functions in the player causes the player to react (I can't type a space, for example, as it plays/pauses TCPMP).

I'll try this ffdshow build (November 3).

Celtic druids builds are older, and not as fast as Milans builds on AMD systems i believe. Celtics also dont work on as many computers because of the optimisations he uses. Use Milans builds. I've been using his most recent for awhile now and it works perfectly. Celtic stopped making new builds because milan started making them again.

Edited by Axed

I'm pretty sure ffdshow dynamically changes settings depending on how much processing power is available. I've used 20041012+MPC on a 333mhz PII laptop, and it was able to play 576x320 vids @ 1024x768 with about 80% processor usage, on a crappy 2.5mb videocard.

On my main computer though, it uses almost 40% of my 2.25ghz @ 1280x1024. On the other hand, the laptop had blurry(DCT?) squares, while on my main computer there was barely any noise distortions and a lot more detail.

Hey, does anyone here know anything about purevideo and what it does? My videocard supports it, but I have no idea what it does or if MPC uses such a thing.

Oh yeah, and tomcat: did you try the 20041012 without SSE support?

Edited by Kramy

NViDiA's PureVideo: http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo.html

NVIDIA PureVideo technology is the combination of a dedicated video processing core and software that delivers ultra-smooth, high-definition H.264, VC-1, WMV, and MPEG-2 movies with minimal CPU utilization and low power consumption. And the high-precision subpixel processing enables videos to be scaled to any size, so that even small videos look like they were recorded in high-resolution.
List of cards that support it: http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo_support.html

Heh... It appears I was finally able to tackle this ffdshow/DivX/3ivX problem on my system...

ReClock DirectShow Filter 1.7 beta 4

This thing replaces "Default DirectSound Device" (whatever that is) and now everything plays back without hiccups... so far.

I'm really interested in this, could you post some details ?

Any quality drop, stability problem ?

edit : website : http://reclock.free.fr/

edit2 : http://reclock.free.fr/bb/viewtopic.php?t=162 (about A64 X2 and ReClock)

Edited by Camarade_Tux