HFSLIP - Test releases

Tomcat76

That's right. HFSLIP registers the Windows Update files (among other things) AFTER the SYSOC addons are installed. If something goes wrong with an addon, things are likely to go bad with subsequent addons, WU, and registration of other files.

I noticed you made quite a few cosmetic changes in the latest test release (60428a), especially to the titles :D.

Can you possibly implement the following changes, too?

1. Call up CMDOW (if it exists) to hide the extra command prompt window when extracting MP10Setup.exe, scripten.exe, wmfdist95.exe, etc.

2. When HFSLIP extracts the extra DX9 updates, the title bar still says "Processing MSXML," which it does before running through the D3DX9 files.

-- Super-Magician :)

Thanks for adding in the changes, Tomcat :). You rule! :thumbup

If you have the time, please see if you can do anything with this:

dziubek requested earlier this month (see his posts in this topic from Apr 15 and Apr 22) to have added to HFSLIP.LOG the time it takes for HFSLIP to run. I know that this is not possible with DOS, but it is possible to record the time HFSLIP starts running and the time HFSLIP finishes slipstreaming/repacking/etc. I think this is a great idea.

Maybe you could make the following changes to the script.

SET /P THACATS=

IF /I "%THACATS%"=="Y" SET DELCATS=1

CLS

:START

SET %START%=%DATE% %TIME%

CALL :FOLDERPREP

IF EXIST HFEXPERT IF NOT EXIST HFTOOLS\MODIFYPE.EXE ECHO YOU DO NOT HAVE MODIFYPE.EXE&PAUSE&EXIT

IF DEFINED HFCLN ECHO>>HFSLIP.LOG HFCLEANUP Detected&ECHO/>>HFSLIP.LOG

IF EXIST SOURCE\I386\nlite.in_ ECHO>>HFSLIP.LOG nLited Source Detected&ECHO/>>HFSLIP.LOG

IF DEFINED HFSLIPSVPACK ECHO>>HFSLIP.LOG Service Pack Slipstreamed By HFSLIP&ECHO/>>HFSLIP.LOG

ECHO Time HFSLIP started - %START%>>HFSLIP.LOG

SET %END%=%DATE% %TIME%

ECHO Time HFSLIP finished - %END%>>HFSLIP.LOG

ECHO/>>HFSLIP.LOG

ECHO>>HFSLIP.LOG ===============================================================================

ECHO>>HFSLIP.LOG Files in your FIX folder:&DIR/B/A-D/OGN/ON FIX>>HFSLIP.LOG&ECHO/>>HFSLIP.LOG

(Of course, if you decide to introduce them, you may improve/modify these changes)

Edit: Added more possible changes

Edited by Super-Magician

Do we need the second variable? Why not this:

IF /I "%THACATS%"=="Y" SET DELCATS=1

CLS

:START

SET %START%=%DATE% %TIME%

CALL :FOLDERPREP

IF DEFINED HFSLIPSVPACK ECHO>>HFSLIP.LOG Service Pack Slipstreamed By HFSLIP&ECHO/>>HFSLIP.LOG

ECHO Time HFSLIP started - %START%>>HFSLIP.LOG

ECHO Time HFSLIP finished - %DATE% %TIME%>>HFSLIP.LOG

ECHO/>>HFSLIP.LOG

ECHO>>HFSLIP.LOG ===============================================================================

ECHO>>HFSLIP.LOG Files in your FIX folder:&DIR/B/A-D/OGN/ON FIX>>HFSLIP.LOG&ECHO/>>HFSLIP.LOG

..and obviously I second the nomination to add this feature :)

But then I would have problems keeping my CD up-to-date.

Moreover, it would takes ages to find which files are needed.

Anyway, I've asked if it could be added.

I will maybe make an integrator by myself (with AHK).

I just installed MilkE bricopack. Hopefully it uses ResHacker and hopefully it does not delete the log file. :)

[30 avr. 2006, 12:39:13]"D:\XPMG.9\SYSTEM32\Packs\SnowE\ResHack\ResHacker.exe" -modify "D:\XPMG.9\SYSTEM32\Packs\SnowE\PackFiles\29_shell32.dll", "D:\XPMG.9\SYSTEM32\Packs\SnowE\PackFiles\29_shell32.dll.new", "D:\XPMG.9\SYSTEM32\Packs\SnowE\ResFiles\Dialog.res", Dialog, 1089,

Modified: DIALOG,1089,1036

Commands completed

I think the installer proceeds like this:

1- the installer you downloaded extracts some files to Packs\ThemeName and runs Setup.exe

2- you select the files you want to be modified, setup.exe finds them, copy them Packs\ThemeName\PackFiles

3- *.res files are generated from Rs??.txt files in Packs\ThemeName\ResFiles (those Rs??.txt files have an half-inf structure)

4- reshacker is called with the parameters shown in the log

5- files are replaced

Bad surprise : my shell32.dll is now 35MB. :puke:

My comp seems slower now, especially when opening apps. I should reboot twice and check but I don't think it will change anything.

Some icons are 128x128, sometimes they seem to be duplicated inside shell32.dll. weird.

(I exported one 128x128 icon, it was 66KB. :} )

edit: rs ??.txt files look like :

[FILENAMES]Exe = "TempFiles\fontext.dll"

SaveAs = "PackFiles\fontext.dll"

Log = "PackFiles\fontext.dll.log"

[COMMANDS]

-addoverwrite "ResFiles\63.ico", ICONGROUP, 1,

-addoverwrite "ResFiles\64.ico", ICONGROUP, 2,

-addoverwrite "ResFiles\65.ico", ICONGROUP, 3,

-addoverwrite "ResFiles\66.ico", ICONGROUP, 4,

-addoverwrite "ResFiles\67.ico", ICONGROUP, 5,

-addoverwrite "ResFiles\68.ico", ICONGROUP, 6,

-addoverwrite "ResFiles\69.ico", ICONGROUP, 7,

-addoverwrite "ResFiles\70.bmp", BITMAP, 15,

There are half-inf, half not.

Also, I just understood something else : in the pack, all icons are 128x128 32bits. They are then resized but I have absolutely no idea on when it is done.

I think I will make an AHK app that will be named "reshacker.exe", that would accept the same parameters as genuine reshacker.exe and that would then call it with slightly different parameters (of course, it will have expanded installation files)

If you have a better idea....

Edited by Camarade_Tux

Tomcat: Thanks for implementing the run time indicator! So it is possible with DOS? Great job on the coding there :thumbup!!

Now, I hope I'm not asking for too much, but how about dziubek's other suggestion on the difference in size between SOURCE and SOURCESS? :w00t:

Oh, and personally, I liked the old format for the hotfix extraction section (at least 60428a-60429a). Because HFSLIP showed the names of the files that were being copied, the script *appeared* to move faster. IMHO, the current test release (60429d) has too little information in that section :).

Edited by Super-Magician

Tomcat: Thanks for implementing the run time indicator! So it is possible with DOS? Great job on the coding there :thumbup!!
Actually, it isn't possible the way I imagined it back when dziubek asked for it. All HFSLIP does now is record the start time, record the end time, then calculate the difference. Pretty "basic", hehe... :D
Now, I hope I'm not asking for too much, but how about dziubek's other suggestion on the difference in size between SOURCE and SOURCESS? :w00t:
I'll try to figure out the most sensible way to do this. But the main thing is that all other changes implemented in the recent test releases should work fine as I'd like to release a new final. After that, I may give x64 a shot and maybe even .NET 2.0.
Oh, and personally, I liked the old format for the hotfix extraction section (at least 60428a-60429a). Because HFSLIP showed the names of the files that were being copied, the script *appeared* to move faster. IMHO, the current test release (60429d) has too little information in that section :).
Personally, I don't care which way it is represented. What do other people think?

!! Unfortunately, the run time indicator has a bug !!

Invalid number. Numeric constants are either decimal (17),

hexadecimal (0x11), or octal (021).

HFSLIP run time: m00s

:(

Suggestion once you figure out the bug: have HFSLIP record the time when it actually starts running, not immediately after you start the script (the time will depend on how long it takes you to go through the initial screens and type the "I have read..."). :)

Edited by Super-Magician

I managed to integrate SnowE bricopack into XP.

Ok, in fact, the files still have to be cabbed. :P

Two files did not get updated : uxtheme.dll and shellstyle.dll.

I'm sure it is because they are updated with a patcher written inside the bricopack installer (whereas other files are updated with reshacker.exe). I don't care about uxtheme.dll but I wonder what role shellstyle.dll plays.

(seems it is not so important, only useful with some themes)

The method I used is not the easiest since you have to put my files, deny Write permissions to everybody (NTFS rights), install your bricopack. The bricopack will complain about reshacker.exe not being writeable which is normal.

If I don't deny Write to everybody, the installer will overwrite my reshacker.exe with the normal one.

:sotired:

I totally agree with you.

Now, the work has been done, but it's too complicated. I mean bricopack creators could do it in a few seconds or minutes whereas it took me hours (with less coding errors it would have been faster. :P ).

Moreover it's not easy to make it unattended and I doubt batch scripting will appreciate.

Anyway, it will maybe make the things evolve : I know lots of people think customizing an XP CD is incredibly harsh, I'm prooving bricopack integration can be done quite quickly.

Now I just hope the installers will give more control soon. :)

btw, the /S switch can be used; advanced customization. :D

bricoslip.txt