Cooling Mods

dirtwarrior

I got my 1900+ to 1600 yeah. I want to add more air flow to my case but it is very limited. I was thinking about 5.25 bay fans or slot coolers or maybe both. I might need to upgrade the cpu cooler. Just need some hints. Is it easy to mod the case to add larger case fans? Maybe 1 in the very bottom.

dirt

Is it easy to mod the case to add larger case fans?
Depends on your metalworking skills ;)

Mount a fan on the side panel blowing directly over the CPU cooler. Put baffles inside the case to direct the air so that it doesn't create a short-circuit loop in the CPU cooler.

adding a case fan will be easier, the bottom is a bad place since its hard to pull up air from there b/c it sits on a table/floor.

the only downside of this is that you will need a dremel with a 80mm/92mm/120mm blade to cut the hole.

OK I have nothing to worry about, good. I was wondering if thos 80 to 120 fan adapters and a 120 fan would help to increase air flow. My case ATM has a 80 fan near the top of case, and I just changed the PSU with a dual fan 580 watt exausting air out the back.

The case fan is spinning but I cant feel any air flow so I dont know if it is pushing or pulling air.

I would like to increase air flow into case but dont want to mess things up. Is the adapter a good idea? Pushing or pulling?

dirt

Its a amd 1900+. Is it ok?

That temp is completely normal for a palamino core AXP. My 1800+ palamino idled 49-50 C, and went to 53-54 C under full load.

What does CPUZ say about the CPU? (ie. is it a palamino, or something else?)

Edited by ssmokee

Hmm, I have a 1900+, don't know what core, and it idles around 37C. Although, I have a Zalman Reserator on it along with the GPU waterblock. A buddy of mine went with the Zalman 7000 CPU cooler and it took his temps way down...somewhere in the 30's. Very quite too.

OK I have nothing to worry about, good. I was wondering if thos 80 to 120 fan adapters and a 120 fan would help to increase air flow. My case ATM has a 80 fan near the top of case, and I just changed the PSU with a dual fan 580 watt exausting air out the back.

The case fan is spinning but I cant feel any air flow so I dont know if it is pushing or pulling air.

I would like to increase air flow into case but dont want to mess things up. Is the adapter a good idea? Pushing or pulling?

dirt

you want fans in front pulling in and fans in back pushing out

I don't have your exact CPU (1900+), but I do have an 1800+ in one of my machines. If I guess correctly, I've had it for about 2 years now. For pretty much that whole time, it idles around 44C/112F and under load, it gets to about 52C/125F. With these temps, I've never had any stability issues in the 2 years I've had it. IMHO, instead of cutting up or spending a lot of time and money on your current case, you might find it easier to purchase a new one. You can find a pretty good selection of cases under $50 that possibly have better cooling than your current case. Some will probably have mounts for 120mm fans.

Overall, a 1900+ is getting pretty outdated. If this is your main PC, I wouldn't spend much time or money on it at all. For about $400-$500, you can build a new machine that darn near doubles in performance. You can always do like I did and use the older machine (I'm writing this on the 1800+ right now) for email and surfing the web. I use the better machines for more power hungry applications.