[Help] Install Problems

e99empire

I can't get any games or software to install. I don't know why. Some things install fine, but it seems that when there is a setup.exe file involved, it doesn't work. Currently I'm trying to install Star Wars: Empire at War, in addition to some Battlefield 2 map editing software. Does anyone have an idea why this is? I've tried everything I know, and any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Title edited -- Please, use [TAGS] in your topic's title.

Please follow XP Forum Rules from now on.

--Sonic

Posted same post two times, warned modo to read your post.

No screenshots, no error message, no description in your topic title.

How can we help you ?! We aren't magician here.

Sorry. Theres no real screenshot I can take or give to you. When I try to run a setup.exe file to install a game, it exits a few seconds into the install. There is no reason why it should do this. I have all of the right Windows Updates, including SP2. Could that be the problem? I was wondering if anyone else had this problem, and/or if they could help me. No error mesage comes up, the installer just exits without installing the game. Any ideas what it could be?

SP2? So we're supposed to know that you are running Windows XP something? Right?

Would you please give us all the particulars about your computer, your OS, etc.???

You're just wasting our time here when you don't tell us all about your problem.

For instance, did you do what every program tells you to do before installing?

They all tell you to shut down every running program on your computer before starting to install new software.

Close all browsers, Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware programs.

Have you cleaned the garbage out of your HD? Have you run chkdsk and Defrag lately?

How about "Disk Cleanup" and a good registry cleaner, like MS's little "RegClean".

There's just so many things that can muck up an install.

Tell us more,,,,,so we can try to help you. That's why we're here,,,after all.

:cheers:

The Doctor (Andromeda43)

Edited by Andromeda43

Also, what applications are you trying to install - are they Windows installer packages that start after running setup.exe? If so, have you tried running "sfc /scannow" and then "msiexec /regserver" at the command prompt?

Yes, its Windows XP Pro with SP2. I defraged and ran "regclean", but no success. I also tried to run "sfc /scannow" and "msiexec /regserver", but "msiexec /regserver" didn't do anything. "sfc /scannow" ran, but didn't do anything to fix the problem. I built my computer myself, It has an AMD 1.60 GHz processor with 1 gig of ram and an Nvidia 6600 graphics card. I shut down all of the background programs befuore starting the install, so I don't think that that's the problem. It also happens whenever I try to run something with a setup.exe file. I've tried to install the same game on my other computer, a Windows XP Home with SP2, and it installs fine. Is there some vital file that I could be missing or some setting that I could have changed? Thanks.

I took a screenshot of the files. You can see it here: http://img460.imageshack.us/my.php?image=i...reenshot4jx.png . I'm trying to install the bf2_editorsetup_aug02 . When I run it, it just exits without installing. I ran the Audacity Setup that you see in the top right, and it ran just fine. Is there a difference in these file types?

Edited by e99empire

Your problem is Windows Installer is corrupt, so you can't install any .msi setup (sometimes .msi is embedded in setup.exe same as bf2)

Try these command in a cmd prompt

start /w "" %SystemRoot%\system32\msiexec.exe /unregister
start /w "" %SystemRoot%\system32\msiexec.exe /regserver

and reboot and retest.

If always doesn't work, the easy way is to reinstall windows xp in "repair mode" (first screen in textmode choose, install , and in second choose repair, just system file will be replaced, all your data and profile are kept).

Goodbye.

How do I install in repair mode? I have tried to boot from the CD, but it won't let me. Is there something I'm missing. Once I have my computer running, I put in the CD and get this error message shown here:

post-90427-1142541577_thumb.jpg

What do I need to do?

I had this problem once. SP2 will prevent booting from the pre-servicepack version. Strangely enough, it hadn't occurred anytime recently. Is your boot CD an SP1 or gold CD? If possible, try it with a slipstreamed CD--you'll want the upgraded version anyway, since it will ensure you have Windows Installer v3.1.

my computer had that problem, but had NO passwords.

take out the password jumper in your computer then run it again, it should work now

Edited by wolf74481