Licensing Documentation

I am just curious as to what others are using out there for network software licensing and asset management. I just started a new job and I am going through their documents and there is some licensing information but it is hard to tell what is on each machine.. I have fished around looking for different software but havent had an opportunity to test it all. One thing this company wants to do is get up to date with their licensing because they know that it isnt good but how to keep track of everything is my problem.

I started an excel spreadsheet but it is hard to keep things organized between which licenses are on which machine using this method.

So i guess 2 questions..

Is there a network inventory/asset management AND software licensing inventory software that scans networked comptuers and dumps it into a database and enables good reporting.. (ie licenses keys, and what not).

and

What are others using out there and what are the advantages/disadvantages of what you are using.

• 2 weeks later...

There are several packages out there to inventory and tell you what software you are running on your network. However, I have found that not one I have ever tried has ever been 100% accurate. That being said, I know we use TrackIt! and the software inventory piece is ok. They bought out one of the better packages and integrated it. The nice thing about it is that is not only inventories your PC's and software it also is a great help desk app. The per workstation cost is low also.

For more specific software that is designed for this task, you could try www.softchoice.com. They work with Microsoft and will give you a free trial of their system if you agree to share the MS products with Microsoft to ensure you are in compliance. A risky undertaking if you just started and are not sure of the licensing you currently have. It might be better for you to pay for the service and see where you stand.

Thanks guys.. we actually ended up going with ServiceDesk Plus from adventnet.com. Their software is pretty neat.. and if your company is small enough... it give free/fully functional versions of their software.. really neat.. We are not small enough but still.. the cost really isnt that bad and does a really good job(so far) I am only 2 days in but so far I like what I see. I can track just about anything.. and the additional modules that they have that can be integrated is rediculous...

http://www.adventnet.com/

I've switched over to freeware / Open Source everyplace that I possibly can. Just about the only left that involves licensing now is Windows itself. I do have the oddball machine here and there with Photoshop or something like that, but not enough to warrant specific software.

It's been quite an interesting time converting everything over, but now that it's done I'd never go back.

Thanks guys.. we actually ended up going with ServiceDesk Plus from adventnet.com. Their software is pretty neat.. and if your company is small enough... it give free/fully functional versions of their software.. really neat.. We are not small enough but still.. the cost really isnt that bad and does a really good job(so far) I am only 2 days in but so far I like what I see. I can track just about anything.. and the additional modules that they have that can be integrated is rediculous...

http://www.adventnet.com/

Nice find! I do support for my wife's office and they have about 10 users. This will help them keep a good running list of problems for me to fix!