Games in XP?

ZsasZ

I'm going to migrate over to XP Home (as my VAIO just pukes whenever I try XP Pro)... anyway, I was wondering how XP handles games? In particular, Diablo II/ LOD, Empire Earth, and Unreal Tournament, as those are the ones I play most nowadays.... Thanks In Advance!

ZsasZ, who cares enough to spell it out instead of just typing TIA!

Games work like a charm in xp, only thing to worry about (FAT32 vs. NTFS) NTFS doesn't hadnle games that well.....

I'd rec trying to install winxp pro,

odd that you are having trouble with pro and not home.... I'm assuming that maybe your copy is corupt ... try [i:6bd1a80d4a]getting[/i:6bd1a80d4a] another one

No, it's not corrupt (XP Pro works great on my Dell laptop), it's just that Sony is so anal about thier drivers (no Fan driver for XP Pro, so the power supply fan runs constantly, etc.)...

Thanks for the news!

stand to correct....NTSF does not effect gamming in any way. That is another mif. I have been running games on XP for months and I have never come across a promblem. Currently I have around 20 games on. Ntsf is a security feture and nothin more.

-XPerties

XPerties you are a lucky person!

numerous poeple including myself had difficulties running it on ntfs, whereas fat32 didn't give any problems, thus that group with me concluded that the format of the drive had to have something to do with it. (and formatting again was annoying)

check the forums of bink's forum (windowsxp.nu)

actually I think I saw AaronXP posting in that forum, are you the same one? if so, AaronXP might have read the numerous threads about gaming on ntfs ... and share his thoughts?

in conclusion my comments were about my XPerience... as well as the results of others.... (who knows we could all just be unlucky

[b:c175f3d8a1]babis[/b:c175f3d8a1] - if the person used XPerties on the board then it was me...That my name and "I pitty the fool who dares to use it!"...hehe, Mr. T.

Anyways the only time I had promblems with a game wasnt due to fat or NTFS, It was the game itself. I have several PC that are running fat and NTFS and promblems that occured on one occured on the other.

-XPerties

Current Games I m running...

Madden 2002

NHL 2002

Wolfenstien

Red Faction

Unreal

Empire Earth

Nascar racing 4

Nascar Heat

Sawt 2 and 3

Dave Mirra BMX

mAX PAYNE

mdk2

Diablo 1 and 2 +expansion

Commandos 2

Predator VS Termanator

Tony Hawks Pro skater 2

RollerCoaster Tychoon

Counter Strike

and bunch of other small games

I've played a few games on NTFS, and I don't get any problems or slowdowns. All my games are stored on a FAT32 partition though. (saves having to reinstall all the games when win2k/xp f00ks up)

SimTheme Park don't run worth a **** on XP. I can't get it to work barely at all. I have been able to play the quick missions, but I can't play the carreer, and it seems that if I try the carreer too many times, I can't even get in far enough to play the quick missions either.

Other than that, I've had 0 problems with any other games, including:

Everquest

Red Faction

B-17

Freespace 2

Operation Flashpoint

Pool of Radiance

4x4 Evolution

Unreal Torney (Infiltration)

Half-Life (including most mods)

Ceasar 3

Thief

Motocross Madness

No One Lives Forever

Mech Commander 2

And quite a few others that I've since uninstalled since I've passed em. I run NTFS and have seen no problems at all, except with a few minor/older games, but it's not due to NTFS at all.

• 5 weeks later...

Running all my games on NTFS W2K as my video card pukes in xp, Ive had absolutly no probs and I think my games run better on the NTFS file system, went with NTFS over fat32 cause running dual boot with xp and it allows me access all my files on all drives

[b:2ca200cfef]Currently running:[/b:2ca200cfef]

Red Faction

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Madden 2002

GrandPrix 3

LS links 2001

Voyager Elite Forces

Qauke 3

Swat 3

Soldier Of Fortune

I have two HD's in my system. Is it possible to leave one as FAT32 with all my games on?

As you might guess I haven't installed a copy of XP yet. Any suggestions as to which version is the best for gaming.

Thanks in advance,

Zippy :)

I have found that Ntfs is a very good format to run games on. So far in my seveal months of use i have had very seldom crashs or lockups. the only games i have had problems with is Red Faction, its very minute and dosent bother me much. Personlaly i would use Ntfs because its way more stable, secure and fast.

-drew:beer