Is there a way to get the exact location for an IP address?

Ash_s

for a guy who surfs the net quiet often, I know many websites that give you a service to locate an IP address in terms of a city, but what I'm looking for is a software or another mean that gives you the exact address or at least the name of the street where an IP address is connecting from. so would there be a way to do that?

Generally that would require getting the phone company involved. The closest you'll get is getting the ip address, finding out what ISP has that range and either cracking their servers to get the info, or socially engineering the people at that ISP.

visual route is as close as your gonna bet but even then it is not entirely accurate... it will normally only get you as close as the CO and not your street address.. but yeah.. without social engineering or some extreem hacking.. your not getting much farther unless you can get some sort of authority ot get the ISP to release the information like the RIAA does

You can't get the exact location, and of course if they're using a proxy you'll get the location of their proxy instead.

I've tried the whois services on my own IP, and (unproxied) it reports the location as ~500km away from my real location.