[How-To]Fix your LCD's dead pixels

WolfX2

1. Turn off your computer.

2. Get yourself a damp cloth, so that you don't scratch your screen.

3. Apply pressure to the area where the dead pixel is. Do not put pressure anywhere else, as this may make more dead pixels.

4. While applying pressure, turn on your computer and screen.

5. Remove pressure and the dead pixel should be gone. This works as the liquid in the liquid crystal has not spread into each little pixel. This liquid is used with the backlight on your monitor, allowing different amounts of light through which give off different colours.

Edited by wolf74481

This seems bogus to me, considering the liquid crystals are sandwiched between polarized panels that are very susceptible to cracking.

Exerting any pressure on them isn't worth the risk of fixing a dead pixel.

This seems bogus to me, considering the liquid crystals are sandwiched between polarized panels that are very susceptible to cracking.

Exerting any pressure on them isn't worth the risk of fixing a dead pixel.

would it make u feel better if i gave u the source i got it from?

http://www.winbeta.org/comments.php?id=3824&catid=1

Edited by wolf74481

Quite interesting. I'll see what other reviews there are first before attempting it. I've had a small cluster of dead pixels on my laptops screen for the last year I've had it and a small pinkie-tip sized cluster of pixels that work but are not in good shape (colours slightly off).

I'm not doubting your sources at the least but would rather be cautious about it. Personally still hanging from the old saying that any extra-pressure will damage some pixels. The off-colour cluster is due to me stupidly grasping the laptop from the lid too tight while catching it before hitting the floor one time... :blushing:

Edited by Chozo4

If your panel has an issue with liquid crystal distribution, misalignment of polarization panels, etc, then you're already in serious trouble and should just refer to the warranty.

Most manufacturers offer very forgiving warranties these days, so consumers should be making use of them whenever they find a problem with the product.

That'll teach them to start making quality products in the first place...

Unfortunately, warranties when it comes to LCD monitors are very severe and the "dead pixels warranty" is usually comprised of a required minimum number of dead pixels grouped together. Useless when you have a single dead pixel.

Well, let's take a minute to weigh the positive and the negative:

Fixing that one dead pixel or... cracking one or both of the polarized panels and destroying your monitor entirely.

I'll leave determining which is which up for interpretation...

As Jcarle said, different manufactures have different policies...some are like if its so many in the centre, then its faulty, if its like one about centre, its not faulty so no replacement...one company did/has got a zero dead pixel policy...meaning even with 1 dead pixel its faulty...so many policies tis annoying