Windows XP Updates Downloader

dziubek

All right, all right, you don't have to explain to us your procedure ;). Yes, there is a tool called MSBA. Also, HFNetChk was not created by Microsoft. If you look, you'll find that out pretty quickly.

Hehe, you're right, I was too fast in my assumption :lol:

Anyway, I have an idea, I have the file (thanks for the second source Camrade_Tux :) ), I'm starting coding as soon as I get some spare time.

• 3 weeks later...

To everyone interested:

The program/script is finished. Wow it took some time but considering my recent schedule I'm happy that I could find time to finish it.

The package is self contained and you can just unzip it anywhere you want.

Now. Most probably you will want to configure some of it's behaviour. Depending on factors like: which version of windows do you want updates for, do you use a proxy to connect to internet, etc. I've included a short readme file so be sure to read it. As for now configuring the script means opening it and changing some variables in the beginning. It is well commented and everything should be easy enough. If you'll think it'll be better, I can modify it to use an external config file.

Anyway, grab it, try it, tell me what you think :D

Uh, just one question though. How do I upload the file to MSFN? I can see some storage folders in my control panel but can't seem to find a control to upload it. Or will I just attach it to the post here?

Hmm, ok, I wanted to attach it here for starters but it seems I can't. I get a msg "... total filespace ... greater than your per post or global limit ...". Weird the file is just 1mb :blink:

Right ok, I'll just email it to you then, TAiN.

:lol:

I can't run it : "ERROR: Some of the external utilities are not accessible. Check the bin subdir. "

Path has no space in it, workdir is the correct one.

I added some dbeug infos and on line 344, wget is not found, though it is present.

You should also add a "Pause" at line 350 or 351.

"goto :eof" is normal : it is to exit the script. And the script doesn't really exit, it first writes to a log.

Briefly, I edited the script and added some "echo" commands:

echo 3
sed --version >nul 2>&1 || goto __checkExtUtilsError
echo 4
goto :eof

3 is displayed but 4 is not.

And I'm not experienced at all with batch.

"goto :eof" is normal : it is to exit the script. And the script doesn't really exit, it first writes to a log.

Briefly, I edited the script and added some "echo" commands:

echo 3
echo 4

3 is displayed but 4 is not.

And I'm not experienced at all with batch.

I was never aware goto :eof just exists the script section ... are you sure (I thought it was exit or something like that)?

I assumed (maybe wrong of me)

:__checkExtUtils

::# make sure external utils are accessible and throw an error if not

sggrep -h >nul 2>&1 || goto __checkExtUtilsError

sgmltrans -h >nul 2>&1 || goto __checkExtUtilsError

wget --version >nul 2>&1 || goto __checkExtUtilsError

####################

Because it cant find EOF ... it then goes to the next section, which then displays the error?

####################

:__checkExtUtilsError

echo Some of the external utilities are not accessible.

echo Make sure you extracted the archive correctly and confirm

echo that the utilities are in bin subdirectory under the program

echo main directory.

call :__log ERROR: Some of the external utilities are not accessible. Check the bin subdir.

set WINUPDL_ABORT=1

Hello!!

Yes that's my mistake, sorry about that. I've tested it on my laptop at home today and got the same result :blushing:

It was actually wget returning status 1 because it couldn't find the wgetrc file :D You see in the environment it was build I use proxy to connect to the outside world so I have to use wgetrc :lol:

Anyway, I've identified two more bugs which somehow escaped my attention, and they are gone now as well :lol:

TAiN, can I email you the fixed version again? I'll have a look around to organize some hosting maybe in the near future :)

Thanks