[Help] - Installing XP on PIII

SpikedCola

I made a custom sp2 disk with v1.31 of RyanVM as v2 was giving me problems. After restarting, (I changed it to the old setup look) it goes to Installing Devices, where it says the screen may flicker etc. Anyways, when the screen would normally flicker, it just goes black. I left it over night and it stayed black. If I restart, repartition from the cd, and redo the install, same thing. Whats going on?

I've experienced a similar problem.

In my case it was because the screen (TFT) on my laptop couldn't handle refresh rates higher than 60 Hz, do you use a flat screen?

My guess is that it is driver related (if you added any drivers to the cd) or has something to do with RyanVM:s pack. Try remaking the cd without his pack or other add-ons.

Guest bush911

i install xp sp2 on my od NB which is P II 366 192 RAM

blue screen sometimes stands for hardware conflict.

maybe u can uninstall ur RAM clean it ,and reinstall.

good luck

Can you tell if the installation continues on? Is there hard drive or CD/DVD drive activity?

No hard drive or CD activity, it just sits there.

Videocard problems maybe?

The video card is a working pull from another machine, so I know it works perfectly

Maybe your computer can't handle windows xp. What are your system specs?

PIII Socket 1, 288MB RAM, 10GB Seagate, 8GB Maxtor, Nvidia Geforce4 MX440

I've experienced a similar problem.

In my case it was because the screen (TFT) on my laptop couldn't handle refresh rates higher than 60 Hz, do you use a flat screen?

My guess is that it is driver related (if you added any drivers to the cd) or has something to do with RyanVM:s pack. Try remaking the cd without his pack or other add-ons.

It was on a normal monitor. Ill try rebuilding it from a clean XP install (no service packs, build 0)

pIII has nothing to do with it, i have it installed on my dad's pII and it runs amazing for a 350mhz cpu. try to integrate the right drivers into you xpcd.

Ill give that a shot aswell

i install xp sp2 on my od NB which is P II 366 192 RAM

blue screen sometimes stands for hardware conflict.

maybe u can uninstall ur RAM clean it ,and reinstall.

good luck

Never bluescreened though. RAM is fine as far as I know, but Ill keep ya updated.

Thanks to everyone that replied! :thumbup

It was on a normal monitor. Ill try rebuilding it from a clean XP install (no service packs, build 0)

build 0?

wow...I didn't think that people could get ahold of a 0 build.. ;)

but then again my 2k cd is build 1 :thumbup

How long have you run the machine with XP? Is this your initial upgrade from 9x OS? Have you kept original hardware during the transition? Perhaps you should adding drivers (processor or hal), or checking their sequence of installation.

build 0?

wow...I didn't think that people could get ahold of a 0 build.. ;)

but then again my 2k cd is build 1 :thumbup

Well its a Corp. Edition, maybe thats why? Whenever I load it in nLite it shows up as Windows XP Professional (Build 0). Go figure

How long have you run the machine with XP? Is this your initial upgrade from 9x OS? Have you kept original hardware during the transition? Perhaps you should adding drivers (processor or hal), or checking their sequence of installation.

Machine has never had XP on it. Or anything for that matter. I just pulled some parts off a shelf and put it together. I actually had to do a BIOS update because it was too old to boot from cd, and the Floppy controller has gone to hell (Used a flash burner and pulled the chip to do it) I added the video card drivers to it, and lo and behold, it worked. Thanks to everyone who helped :D:thumbup Now, back to installing six sound cards into it

Edited by SpikedCola