Which HDD is better?

Nerwin

Which Hard Drive is better?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which HDD is better Maxtor, Western Digital or Seagate?

• Maxtor
    • Western Digital
    • Seagate

• 3 weeks later...

Swear by WD, had to many problems in the past with Maxtor.

I disagree!! All of my Maxtor HDDs have been reliable, even a 13 GB 7,200 RPM one from 1999!!

Most of the HDDs that I came across with having the dreaded bad sectors and dreaded click of death were Western Digital!!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

Swear by WD, had to many problems in the past with Maxtor.

I disagree!! All of my Maxtor HDDs have been reliable, even a 13 GB 7,200 RPM one from 1999!!

Most of the HDDs that I came across with having the dreaded bad sectors and dreaded click of death were Western Digital!!

must be one in a milltion then :P

bought a maxtor, it completely failed after 6months, on my replacement one now and its still abit strange, makes alot of noise compared to my old ones.

id have to say WD are my fave

Wow!! I can't believe that!! But that sure seems to be common with used Western Digital HDDs, even if only a few years old!! :realmad:

I often see bad sectors on Western Digital HDDs.

But, I did have bad luck with a Seagate HDD, it started emitting squeaks when there was a lot of seeking and SMART monitoring utilities were saying that a failure was expected in a short time!! :realmad:

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

hhmmm, all i can say is from what I have experienced...also as previosuly stated, when I worked for a online computer retailer, the most hard drives we had back where maxtors, and that had nothing to do with if we sold more maxtors than other brands, the difference was marginal. (from my experience anyway)

• 2 weeks later...
Just wandering :huh:

I Have a Western Digital 250 Gb SATA-150 I love it! :wub:

The Raptors are the only HDDs I want from Western Digital. Had bad luck with Western Digital.

I have two SATA Maxtor 80GB disks and I'm very satisfied, but occasionally I'm hearing strange clicks from this disks, but disks report no errors. I read somewhere that this is normal behaviour for Maxtor disks..

When I hear strange clicks on disks I know that disk working time is near end.. :D

A Western Digital 13 GB 5,400 RPM HDD that I still have does that. I can't recall having that issue with my Maxtor HDDs. But they're PATA.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

I bought A WD SATA drive in June 2005. Since then I've had to replace it three times.

I'm currently using a Maxtor SATA 160gig., with NO problems.

Most of the tech's I rub elbows with recognize that WD's quality is just NOT there, and to preserve their own reputations, they just won't use WD drives.

WD has several different plants in different countries, most are in the far east.

The last RMA drive I got back from WD was made in Malaysia and was badly scratched like it had been kicked accross a cement floor. I won't even use it. Someone want a freebee? :no:

Cheers,

Andromeda43 :whistle:

Sorry, I'm with Andromeda43 on this one, because most of the HDDs that I experienced having bad sectors and the click of death were Western Digital.

But I haven't had as bad luck as Andromeda43. Luckly, I never was required to replace it three times!

• 4 months later...