Abit Graphic card

MAVERICKS CHOICE

Still perusing in looking into buying my new box.

Im settling into the Abit AL8 3rd eye with a Pent D pro 3.0Ghz.

Just wandering if the Abit graphic cards rate & is this a good idea to have both mobo & graphic card the same brand? I never have before. I don't game or very little, but like the whole thing to run as fast as posible. I have a geforce 9800 xt 256mb atm. & runs nicely.

I'm lookin at the Abit Radeon R9550-Guru 256mb/128bit reasonably priced also under $150 au.

All advice appreciated

Cheers

MC.

That would be a Radeon 9800XT. :)

If you're looking for an ATI based card I'd say go with something made by ATI, Sapphire or VisionTek--in that order. They're all pretty much going to be based on the reference design that ATI uses anyway.

If you're looking for something NVIDIA based then I'd go with something from either BFG or XFX. Again, they'll both be based on the reference design provided by NVIDIA. Both companies offer lifetime warranties.

Having the video card from the same manufacturer as your motherboard really doesn't make any difference at all. All quality video cards are built to work on as many motherboards/chipsets as possible regardless of the manufacturer.

I have to add eVGA to the nVidia list. Lifetime warranty as well and outstanding support and pricing. I have a 7800GT which works great!

Quick question: what will you be using this rig for?

If you plan on gaming, your best bet would be to go AMD if you're building from scratch.

Do you have the motherboard or processor yet?

I have to add eVGA to the nVidia list. Lifetime warranty as well and outstanding support and pricing. I have a 7800GT which works great!

Quick question: what will you be using this rig for?

If you plan on gaming, your best bet would be to go AMD if you're building from scratch.

Do you have the motherboard or processor yet?

@Vitalix

Mainly power use, not gaming really just want something a little quicker & reliable than the norm. Thanks for ya input. The eVGA what should I expect to pay roughly for that card?

Cheers

MC

They're all roughly the same price.

I'd have to recommend the XFX GeForce 6800GS. You'll notice that NewEgg has the eVGA card for a little less. However, the core clock on the eVGA card is the default 425MHz. The XFX card is clocked at 485MHz so it'll offer a little more performance. XFX also offers what they call a "double lifetime warranty". Basically, if you sell the card they'll cover the 2nd owner with a lifetime warranty.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814150118

They're all roughly the same price.

I'd have to recommend the XFX GeForce 6800GS. You'll notice that NewEgg has the eVGA card for a little less. However, the core clock on the eVGA card is the default 425MHz. The XFX card is clocked at 485MHz so it'll offer a little more performance. XFX also offers what they call a "double lifetime warranty". Basically, if you sell the card they'll cover the 2nd owner with a lifetime warranty.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814150118

& Thanks

Yeah, did I see that was a SLI card don't think the Abit AL8 supports em?

MC.

Don't meant to be annoying, but why are you looking at gaming video cards?

I noticed you said you don't game / hardly ever, personally i'd go for a Matrox card if gaming isn't important, i've found matrox is far better for general use and 2D