Upgrade

MAVERICKS CHOICE

Just about to upgrade my existing P4 2.53Ghz Gigabyte Mobo with raid, 1 gig of ram.

Pls anyone comment & advise, I had a quote from my local comp guy who is generally pretty good on the following machine

Intel P4-3.0Ghz

ASUS P5P800 Mobo

GeCube 256mbATI Radeon 9600Pro video

4 off 512DDR400 Ram

2 off WD 300Gb Sata Hdd

400W ATX Case

Runs out @ approx $1,200 Aus

As far as the raid goes not familar with the Sata units is there a decent site where I can read up on this to have a better idea whats going on.

All comments appreciated.

Cheers

MC.

Hey MAVERICK, what state you in??

Is this for gaming?? If so I would change the vid card for a 6600gt, or whatever is the equivalent in ATI.

Also have a look at AMD, they have some good stuff that is better suited to gaming.

Otherwise its not bad, although I would get a better PSU than the one that comes with your case.

oldwolf

That motherboard doesn't have integrated RAID. It has SATA, just not RAID. I'm looking at either that same motherboard or the SE variant because I just acquired a Socket775 P4 3.4EE and don't want to replace my 4GB of Ballistix or my BFG 6800GT just yet...but I also don't want to give up a P4EE either.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the SE variant because the onboard NIC is Intel, where on the non-SE model it's Marvell. I had an Intel NIC before, but now have a Marvell NIC on my current P4P800-E Deluxe. I like the Intel NICs a lot better.

@ oldwolf

Cheers @ Syd/NSW

Not for gaming neccessarily.

Thanks for the advice will look into it.

Regards

MC.

That motherboard doesn't have integrated RAID. It has SATA, just not RAID. I'm looking at either that same motherboard or the SE variant because I just acquired a Socket775 P4 3.4EE and don't want to replace my 4GB of Ballistix or my BFG 6800GT just yet...but I also don't want to give up a P4EE either.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the SE variant because the onboard NIC is Intel, where on the non-SE model it's Marvell. I had an Intel NIC before, but now have a Marvell NIC on my current P4P800-E Deluxe. I like the Intel NICs a lot better.

Thats the advice I need, Thanks man. :thumbup

Edited by MAVERICKS CHOICE