Will Critical Updates be avail for WIN98SE after June 2006?

While I haven't tried to download IE 6.0 SP1 lately as I already have all of the relevant files, which I believe is MORE than 40-something MB, more like 55 MB, this is how I came by them:

Just obtain and run IE6setup.exe and run it from a 98SE system already up and running a lesser IE, such as 5.0 standard with the release.

You are given the option of supposedly obtaining a download-only of ALL of the files and the ability to specify an alternate download directory of your choice. While this sounds good, it's somewhat of a lie.

In actuality, you get about half of the available files you might need. Once you actually constructively install IE 6.0 SP1, you again run IE6setup.exe. Depending on the options you choose, you might get a message essentially asking if it has your permission to download additional files from an Internet download server of its choice. You should respond affirmatively and let it locate one from the list. However, I have never seen more than one such server, at least from North America, which is what it was choosing for me, etc.

In fact, you should choose ALL features of IE 6.0 SP1, so that ONLY ONCE you will get each and every file. Thus, in my case, this raised the downloaded files in my choice of directories from about 1/2 of the about 55 MB of files to just about all of them.

My numbers are slightly contaminated, because I also added on a few more by additionally taking the entire collection to other machines running XP pre-SP1 and WinME which causes a few more files to be requested.

Petr is effectively wrong on his guess about deleting the files, although I cannot vouch for expressly if this is because of the method he suggested being perhaps different from mine. In any case, doing it PRECISELY this way deletes none of the files you already have. Thus, the collection merely grew, never shrank, etc. About the only discrepancy between my collection and MS releases could perhaps be if NT4 or W2K needed any additional files, since I don't run these systems, etc.

So, limiting ourselves to obtaining any and all files you might ever need for IE 6.0 SP1 itself, just actually do the install of literally every option, and you will have all of the files you will ever need regardless of which options you might select in the future, etc. If you feel you have over-installed IE, just uninstall it and then reinstall choosing only the options you actually want. In any case, you have all the files to do a maximal install for the future.

I would suggest doing this NOW instead of waiting as indeed as others have suggested, sloppy support and the approaching end-of-life in June means that it's all downhill from here; indeed we may need to support each other in terms of supplying "missing" files, etc.

This is part of why I am one of the proponents of the Service Pack including support for IE 6.0 SP1. This would encourage a CD package for anyone needing the "whole thing" once MS starts letting us down even further than ever; remember, this entire forum is dedicated to doing what MS SHOULD have done, but never did! Clearly, the IE 6.0 SP1 problem represents a significent portion of the overall problem. If it were not for the efforts of Gape, Erp, MGDX and others [me too a little!], we might be far worse off than where we are today.

The collection of files need not be in any particular directory. If any files are needed from the Internet, they are just added on to the directory where IE6setup.exe was run from presently. If you get all of the files, it could be burned onto a CD, since effectively no additional downloads happen, thus no attempt to write out new files, etc.

cjl

In actuality, you get about half of the available files you might need. Once you actually constructively install IE 6.0 SP1, you again run IE6setup.exe. Depending on the options you choose, you might get a message essentially asking if it has your permission to download additional files from an Internet download server of its choice. You should respond affirmatively and let it locate one from the list. However, I have never seen more than one such server, at least from North America, which is what it was choosing for me, etc.

In fact, you should choose ALL features of IE 6.0 SP1, so that ONLY ONCE you will get each and every file. Thus, in my case, this raised the downloaded files in my choice of directories from about 1/2 of the about 55 MB of files to just about all of them.

If you us the command described several posts before (ie6setup.exe /c:"ie6wzd.exe /d /s:""#E") you will have no choice to select any feature - just all files necessary for later installation will be downloaded.

It shall be noted that the current IE 6.0 SP1 available on the MS website is stripped down version, some components are no longer parts of the setup, like Microsoft VM, Direct Animation, Uniscribe, etc.

Petr

Since this thread is about IE 6, I don't expect anyone to object to a further discussion of the updates beyond the basic installation. [This does not mean that I in any way acknowledge the right of others to either obstruct or object to this discussion in other threads merely because RECENTLY it wasn't being done while HISTORICALLY it was.].

There apparenly are some misconceptions about the updates to IE 6.0 SP1. Attempting to add order to the chaos already here:

1) Some of the updates in this thread are technically not part of IE. You certainly can update DirectX for example, but merely independently of IE version or update level.

2) There are more updates than posted so far. Since I have been virtually unavailable for 98SE subjects since this last summer, and only recently have precious little time now, I am speaking largely from the vantage point of what was available as of July or August 2005. However, apparently there is at least one recent update, perhaps more. It would be helpful to me personally, perhaps others, if someone can post on this thread ANY AND ALL updates available since say April or May, 2005. I can then compile a more authoritative list of "all" of the updates.

3) It is true that SOME of the updates are cumulative. It is a falsehood to claim that they ALL are. Given MS's clearly sloppy history, I will not accept without proof that even the claimed cumulative updates are actually cumulative unconditionally.

4) There are two main accumulations. One is for IE 6.0 SP1. The other is for the associated release of Outlook Express intertwined in the installation of IE 6.0 SP1. To repeat, I remain skeptical until reasonably proven wrong that these two separate cumulative streams are such that you merely need the latest of each of them to totally obsolete any and all previous ones connected to their respective accumulations. In any case, clearly one accumulation does not obsolete the other accumulation.

5) There are clearly additional updates not in any way related to the two accumulations. They generally are bug fixes while, at least in the case of the IE collection as opposed to the OE collection, the accumulation is concerned primarily with security updates.

6) Some of the updates, at least in the case of the accumulations, introduced bugs while attempting to fix security problems. While I don't remember the update numbers, I do remember the symptoms: If a specific security-oriented update was installed, some scroll-bar functionality was corrupted! This is quite counter-intuitive, as one would assume that scroll bars is a portion of the gui interface, not a security issue, yet it is true that installing that particular update broke part of the IE gui, etc. To my knowledge, a newer-still member of the IE accumulation remedied this problem. Thus, installing all of the updates in a reasonable order leaves you with net no newly introduced problems of this sort, AFAIK.

7) With the exception of -- I believe the number is KB870669 -- all updates to IE and/or OE will be indicated within Internet Explorer Help/About explicitly. Once you install IE 6.0 SP1, the updates indicated are merely SP1; Introducing these additional updates will show Qxxxxxx where xxxxxx is the KB article number of the applied update appended on the end of this display.

The updates that can accomplish this are any for either IE or OE. There are several additional points of interest:

#i) Q313829 is indicated if you apply the KB313829 SHELL32.DLL security patch after you install IE 6.0 SP1. The effects of this update are part of Gape's SP2.x package. But to get the indication in IE help/about you have to apply the actual MS update and this must be done AFTER installation of IE 6.0 SP1, as IE installs clear the list.

While it could be argued this is NOT an update to IE 6.0 SP1 or even OE 6, it none-the-less is genuine MS update behavior. I would argue that if the SP 2.x is updated to include IE 6.0 SP1 support which I strongly recommend in general, it would make sense to maintain this nomenclature to authentically install the update, etc.

#ii) Some versions of the SP in the past erroneously applied Q240308 to IE 6. The problem is that this update is NOT relevant to newer versions of IE, just IE 5.0 or so. These SP releases even applied the correct implementation of the help/about information! Hopefully, this is not currently the case with the latest 2.x which should bypass this update for IE 6.0 or IE 6.0 SP1.

#iii) KB870669 was created to counter the infamous "Russian" 0-day attack of June, 2003. It makes IE incompatible with certain proprietary MS applications involving I believe certain MS exchange server implementations, but prevents this deadly effect from happening again. For some reason it is considered an MDAC update, even though clearly it effects IE itself. It is NOT shown in IE Help/About, but does show up as an installed program in the control panel add/remove programs area.

This update should be added to any IE installation collection; Can someone confirm that the SP 2.x currently does implement the same results as 870669? To my knowledge, it is merely a registry patch underlying all of the overhead, etc.

8) In other parts of this forum, others have erroneously claimed that there NEVER is a need to reboot between updates if you are applying all of them, thus allowing a batching of all the updates followed by one final reboot. These claims are apparently based on theories, NOT actual experience.

I have ACTUAL experience with the updates and can confirm that there is some interaction that REQUIRES a reboot. To not reboot means that an update won't install since it checks to see if some previous update has finalized as a prerequisite for its own installation.

While I don't remember which updates interact negatively in this manner with which other updates, I have solved the problem, albeit crudely, with a toy batch file that in essence forces a reboot after EVERY update, thus ensuring this problem will never happen.

Installing every update will show up in IE help/about every update in the form of Qxxxxxx where xxxxxx is the number of the update for each and every one of them. Clearly there is no downside to installing all of the updates.

To do this manually, especially if rebooting after each as each update usually recommends, is admittedly tedious. My toy batch file is totally automated and unattended. It takes around an hour to self-install, mostly due to the numerous reboots. Due to a quirk of the freeware reboot program I chose, you have to reset the system time [not DATE!] after it has finished. I have to wait for system quiescence before forcing a reboot, and the program I chose has no function such as "wait 30 seconds before reboot" but instead has the function "reboot at exactly the stated time hh:mm:ss". Thus, the batch forces the time to just before the chosen time which gets the job done other than the need to reset the time after all has installed, etc.

[Note: I admit that IF you consider installing updates presumed to be obsoleted by other updates is superfluous AND this is actually correct AND you opt not to update the IE Help/About information with regards to the updates you opted out AND it turns out that the unique updates NOT associated with the cumulative updates don't interact negatively with the latest cumulative updates THEN it IS POSSIBLE you do not need to use something akin to my method. However, I certainly haven't done the research to prove any of this, and I am not even inclined to do so as I personally WANT all of the updates indicated; if for no other purpose, it shows just how patched up IE actually is! Additionally, I would suggest that those suggesting that I am DEFINITELY WRONG have NEVER even pondered the entire list of the updates ACTUALLY AVAILABLE, just the SUBSET they personally are aware of. In any case, any of these suggestions will PREVENT the indications of the updates being applied in IE Help/About as cumulative updates DO NOT indicate what they "replace" in any sense. Please note as a counterexample, when Windows XP was expecting a Service Pack 2 which was horribly late, MS released a rollup of all of the most critical then-current updates; This was clearly a "cumulative update" etc. However, in the case of this update, QFECHECK information for all of the contained updates appeared indistringuishably from installing the actual component updates separately. It even installed QFECHECK information about itself! Clearly this is the desired way to implement a cumulative update. However, in the case of these IE updates, this is NOT the way they install!]

9) Some of the updates interact negatively with 98lite. This is true of at least any of the relatively recent OE updates that are claimed as "cumulative". Apparently they DO accumulate the bad behaviour!

There is a surprisingly complicated remedy for this, but it will work:

a) Pick a shell choice for 98lite. Contrary to the documentation this will be the LAST time you elect to make this change as the consequences of further shell swap are the changes are tantamount to almost a complete reinstall being needed!

B) Initially chose SLEEK [V1] regardless of your choice. Install IE 6.0 SP1 as you wish. However, when asked to reboot do not. As of the current 98lite 4.7 and the 98lite 4.8 beta there is no built-in remedy for the problem, but the author, Shane Brooks, is working on a built-in fix. In the meantime, the following will suffice:

The installation places the file LOADWC.EXE in the \Windows\System directory. Obtain that file, preferably doing all of this before the actual installation from either a dry run or extract it from the IE .cab files, and perform a patch operation to the binary: [i use Norton Diskedit]

Search for the ASCII string "SHELL32.DLL" and patch three bytes to be instead "SHELL32.W98". This is in keeping with how 98lite makes "uncooperative" programs behave under SLEEK [V1] shell. This is the replacement LOADWC.EXE file.

Replace the LOADWC.EXE file just installed by the IE installation with the patched version. Then allow the reboot as in a normal installation.

The reboot will cause the installation to initialize all correct customizations and browser personalizations that were missing from all IE 6.0 installs that are reminiscent of the analogous install details of the IE 5.x era especially when installing on Windows 95. This is a sore point of the IE 6.0 installation because Windows 95 support was arbitrarily removed from IE 6.0 and following. In the process, this part of the installation was also lost! Thus, you get a "better" installation of IE 6.0 or IE 6.0 SP1 if you do it this way, etc.

Please note that if you install IE 6.0 or IE 6.0 SP1 under the CHUBBY or OVERWEIGHT shell in 98lite, you don't make the LOADWC.EXE file replacement, but you also won't get all of these nice "lost" update actions!

c) Now implement your chosen final shell choice [which could be SLEEK [V1] which is the current setting. the recommendation is to chose the shell swap even if to the same shell, etc.].

At this point, it is now necessary to TOTALLY reinstall IE 6.0 or IE 6.0 SP1. If the current shell is SLEEK [V1], you will again have to ensure that the LOADWC.EXE file is the "patched" one, since it could get corrupted by the IE install.

You must REPEATEDLY re-install IE, using the custom choice [as opposed to the "typical" installation] chosing any and all options you want, including those in bold which claim to indicate they are already installed. And of course if this is the SLEEK [V1] shell, replacing the LOADWC.EXE file, etc. This process MUST be repeated until the attempt to install produces a new installation message suggesting that you do not have to reinstall, but DOES give you the option to "reinstall all components" which you should in fact select. It is this installation that finally causes there to be no later corruption of OE caused by later installing the updates.

In the case of the 98SE 98lite SLEEK [V1] installation this will problably succeed on the second install. On Windows ME using CHUBBY, this could be as many as four times to install before the "reinstall all components" message finally appears. In 98SE, after the switch to CHUBBY it appears that two more reinstalls will suffice, not four.

At this point, the shell choice must be frozen. Attempts to install Q330994 or any of the newer cumulative OE updates will succeed. Not heeding this advice GUARANTEES that OE will be corrupted under 98lite unless perhaps SLEEK [V1] shell is avoided. [Note: I cannot guarantee this even works! I always chose the initial SLEEK [V1] shell choice to get the "best" IE installation, then usually swap to CHUBBY. I can vouch for the fact that anything less than this WILL in fact permanently corrupt OE 6 requiring starting all over again by going back to the SLEEK [V1] shell and proceeding as above. Also, once corrupted, a plain uninstall and reinstall will also not work, even if you chose CHUBBY; apparently the corruption can only be removed back at the SLEEK [V1[ shell choice, etc.]

Please note that 98lite greatly predates Q330994, thus this bad OE corruption wasn't seen for quite awhile. There is apparenty some form of .DLL file mixup caused by the Q330994 update itself [and all of the newer-still OE cumulative updates as well!] interacting with something done by 98lite that wasn't known to be harmful before the update release. At this point, the only known remedy is causing IE to believe it is being reinstalled over IE as opposed to a virgin install, thus all of the above became necessary, etc.]

For those faint of heart, I can provide a copy of the patched LOADWC.EXE for IE 6.0 SP1; it is only a matter of patching the three relevant bytes, etc.

10) Some people have objected to including support for IE 6.0 SP1 in the SP 2.x because it would make the download larger. This is simply not true, since the size of the updating scripts would be minimal. However, to avoid the problem, the updates should be made in an alternate package which could amount to a size comparable to the current overall SP! Thus, anyone wanting to NOT update IE is not penalized in any way, while those of us who want the updates just have to download some alternate .CAB file or something containing the rest of the IE-related files.

This notion could also extend to alternate versions of IE between IE 5.0 and IE 6.0 SP1 that are favored by some people. The scripts to install any associated IE updates would do little to change the final size of the service pack update binary file; the appropriate update file copied into the same directory as the SP installer would get the job done if opted for, etc.

cjl

If you us the command described several posts before (ie6setup.exe /c:"ie6wzd.exe /d /s:""#E") you will have no choice to select any feature - just all files necessary for later installation will be downloaded.

It shall be noted that the current IE 6.0 SP1 available on the MS website is stripped down version, some components are no longer parts of the setup, like Microsoft VM, Direct Animation, Uniscribe, etc.

Petr

The original definition within IE6setup.exe was to opt to download "all" of the files and not to install. If this is the command line version of that, then perhaps the same "lie" still applies?

The point is that what you formerly got when asking for a "full" download was essentially only all of what you needed for a medium-sized install, not much different from a "typical" install, etc. The rest of the files had to be post-downloaded only if needed because you invoked some additional option.

Thus, IE6setup.exe was NEVER prepared to get "all" of the files ultimately needed in every install scenario. Is this the current situation? Or perhaps it's a coincidence because you cannot ask for any options any more associated with the optional files no longer provided? I can't believe this is totally the case.

I suggest you try your method, then attempt to install from the download directory and invoke ALL of the options. This should prove whether additional files are still needed, changing the meaning of "all" to merely "some" etc.

cjl

The original definition within IE6setup.exe was to opt to download "all" of the files and not to install. If this is the command line version of that, then perhaps the same "lie" still applies?
AFAIK it was true for older IE versions, not for IE6
The point is that what you formerly got when asking for a "full" download was essentially only all of what you needed for a medium-sized install, not much different from a "typical" install, etc. The rest of the files had to be post-downloaded only if needed because you invoked some additional option.

Thus, IE6setup.exe was NEVER prepared to get "all" of the files ultimately needed in every install scenario. Is this the current situation? Or perhaps it's a coincidence because you cannot ask for any options any more associated with the optional files no longer provided? I can't believe this is totally the case.

The above mentioned command line downloads all cabinets with exception of:

DirectAnimation

AXA.CAB

AXA3.CAB

Arabic/Hebrew/Japanese/Korean/Pan-European/Thai/Vietnamese/Chinese (Simplified)/Chinese (Traditional) Text Support

IELPKAR.CAB

IELPKIW.CAB

IELPKJA.CAB

IELPKKO.CAB

IELPKPE.CAB

IELPKTH.CAB

IELPKVI.CAB

IELPKZHC.CAB

IELPKZHT.CAB

Japan/Korean/Chinese (Simplified)/Chinese (Traditional) Text Input Support

JAAIME.CAB

KOAIME.CAB

SCAIME.CAB

TCAIME.CAB

Uniscribe

USP10.CAB

Windows Desktop Update for NT4

IE4SHLNT.CAB

Internet Explorer Administration Kit

IEAK6.EXE

IEAK6OPT.CAB

In the attachment is complete list of files.

IE6SP1 does not contain MS VM (Java), the cabinets for build 3805 are for download here:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...AA289DAC0FA.CAB

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...7F715960D22.CAB

Update to build 3810

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...2a04af2b34d.exe

Petr

dl.txt

CLASYS,

You've got so much interesting stuff to say. But personally I wish you would simplify your English a tad for those of us not as proficient in the language as yourself!

[Note: I admit that IF you consider installing updates presumed to be obsoleted by other updates is superfluous AND this is actually correct AND you opt not to update the IE Help/About information with regards to the updates you opted out AND it turns out that the unique updates NOT associated with the cumulative updates don't interact negatively with the latest cumulative updates THEN it IS POSSIBLE you do not need to use something akin to my method.
Shorter sentences with fewer clauses than the above sentence, please! This would help many of us get involved in discussing the points you are making. Hopefully, speaking just for myself anyway, it would help me understand better the peculiar workings of IE updates.
3) It is true that SOME of the updates are cumulative. It is a falsehood to claim that they ALL are. Given MS's clearly sloppy history, I will not accept without proof that even the claimed cumulative updates are actually cumulative unconditionally.

Without meaning to overlook or downplay the importance of any other points you make, much of what you say seems to turn on this: that many of the updates issued by Microsoft for IE, said to be cumulative, are not actually cumulative. So, without realising it, many of us are missing out from having the best, most patched system that we could have.

I come to all this fairly late - I am still learning a lot about how to make 98 SE better. But the whole issue of cumulative updates has always been troublesome for me. I have always doubted whether they really contain the equivalent of all previously released updates. Now that I know more about some of the strange behaviour of MS hotfixes and updates, I have all the more reason to be unsure about what to install, and in what order, to ensure that I have the most patched system that I can have (with the components and add-ons that I choose to install). Yes, I have a better idea now than before, but still I am unclear.

So, what does anyone else think about CLASYS' points above? Is the latest cumulative update for IE providing us with everything that we would get if we installed every single update released for IE (in the correct order, of course)? And should the next Unofficial Service Pack definitely support IE6 SP1?

Edited by bristols

I doubt it. Windows 98SE and Windows ME are already in the extended support phase and the extended support phase I believe ends in June 2006. Windows 98SE and Windows ME I think have been in the extended support phase since mid 2002. The extended support phase was originally going to end in 2004, but Microsoft extended it because of customer needs.

Now here is what I don't get. I thought all Microsoft operating systems in the extended support phase only received critical security hotfixes. I have noticed that .NET framework 2.0 is supported on Windows 2000 and even on Windows 98/ME. And .NET framework was released only a month ago and Windows 2000 has been in the extended support phase for 5 months prior to that and Windows 98/ME were in the extended support phase for 3+ years prior to November 2005.

I thought the extended support phase meant no new features from MS would be supported by the OS, and only critical security hotfixes. But it seems that isn't always true especially with .NET framework and DirectX 9. (aka DirectX 9.0 supported Windows 98/ME even after they entered the extended support phase)?

WHat is the reality regarding the MS extended support phase?

:whistle: I find this support stuff very confusing.So i came up with my own theory ,maybe because of third world (emerging) countries still run 98se at least 10-15% in bussiness its better to keep them running then bombard them with upgrade to xp ads scare tactics etc.because if u can force people to upgrade by simply making it impossible to install on 9x which we,ved seen over the last few years.So are we fortunate?is it purely security concerns/or do ms want to squeeze every dime out of any 9x user by allowing 98se continous use? Myself i think its demand by folks in emerging countries who cant afford or have yet to upgrade.either way its a bonus to 9x users.

Since this thread is about IE 6

No, it is not.

Please write shorter posts with more information. You repeat again and again that cumulative updates are not cumulative but you never gave me any example although I have asked for it.

The latest cumulative update for IE 6.0 SP1 on Windows 98 SE (IE6.0sp1-KB905915-Windows-98-ME-x86-ENU.exe) contains the following files, the first version number is for GDR version of the file and the second is for QFE version of the file, the update contains both.

BROWSEUI.DLL 6.0.2800.1692 6.0.2800.1692

CDFVIEW.DLL 6.0.2800.1612 6.0.2800.1612

DANIM.DLL 6.3.1.148 6.3.1.148

DXTRANS.DLL 6.3.2800.1525 6.3.2800.1526

IEPEERS.DLL 6.0.2800.1496 6.0.2800.1497

INSENG.DLL 6.0.2800.1469 6.0.2800.1475

MSHTML.DLL 6.0.2800.1528 6.0.2800.1529

MSRATING.DLL 6.0.2800.1623 6.0.2800.1623

MSTIME.DLL 6.0.2800.1525 6.0.2800.1526

PNGFILT.DLL 6.0.2800.1505 6.0.2800.1506

SHDOCVW.DLL 6.0.2800.1762 6.0.2800.1762

SHLWAPI.DLL 6.0.2800.1740 6.0.2800.1740

URLMON.DLL 6.0.2800.1525 6.0.2800.1526

WININET.DLL 6.0.2800.1525 6.0.2800.1526

Is there any file missing or old version? I don't see any.

Of course, there are some other updates related more or less to IE some way:

KB837009 - Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6.0 SP1

DIRECTDB.DLL 6.0.2800.1123

INETCOMM.DLL 6.0.2800.1409

INETRES.DLL 6.0.2800.1123

MSIDENT.DLL 6.0.2800.1123

MSIMN.EXE 6.0.2800.1123

MSOE.DLL 6.0.2800.1409

MSOEACCT.DLL 6.0.2800.1123

MSOERES.DLL 6.0.2800.1123

MSOERT2.DLL 6.0.2800.1123

OEIMPORT.DLL 6.0.2800.1123

OEMIG50.EXE 6.0.2800.1123

OEMIGLIB.DLL 6.0.2800.1123

WAB.EXE 6.0.2800.1123

WAB32.DLL 6.0.2800.1409

WABFIND.DLL 6.0.2800.1123

WABIMP.DLL 6.0.2800.1123

WABMIG.EXE 6.0.2800.1123

Q313829 - Windows Shell Update

SHELL32.DLL 4.72.3812.600

KB816093 - Microsoft VM Update

JVIEW.EXE 5.0.3810.0

MSJAVA.DLL 5.0.3810.0

and many other files

KB823559 - HTML Converter Update

html32.cnv 2003.1100.5426.0

msconv97.dll 2003.1100.5426.0

KB833989 - Vector Graphics Rendering (VML)

VGX.DLL 6.0.2800.1411

KB841873 - Task Scheduler Update (IE 6.0 SP1 on NT4 SP6a only)

MSTASK.DLL 4.71.1979.1

KB885258 - Update to correct AlphaImageLoader filter error

DXTMSFT.DLL 6.3.2800.1471

DXTRANS.DLL 6.3.2800.1471

PROCTEXE.OCX 6.3.2800.1471

KB888113 - Hyperlink Library Update

hlink.dll 5.2.3790.227

KB891781 - DHTML editing component ActiveX control Update

DHTMLED.OCX 6.1.0.9231

KB896358 - HTML Help 1.41 Update

hh.exe 5.2.3790.309

hhctrl.ocx 5.2.3790.309

hhsetup.dll 5.2.3790.309

itircl.dll 5.2.3790.309

itss.dll 5.2.3790.309

Missed I anything important?

Petr

Since this thread is about IE 6

No, it is not.

Please write shorter posts with more information. You repeat again and again that cumulative updates are not cumulative but you never gave me any example although I have asked for it.

LOL, I was about to write exactly that. I don't understand why Clasys does not open a specific thread to discuss that, as I suggested to him sometimes ago.

As for the topic of this thread : What is the situation of W95 critical updates today ? It should pretty say what the situation of W98 will be after June 30.

Edited by eidenk

As for the topic of this thread : What is the situation of W95 critical updates today ? It should pretty say what the situation of W98 will be after June 30.

It seems that they are still available: http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/

But there is one difference - many Windows 98 (SE) updates are available via Windows Update ONLY so either Windows Update has to survive or new system of static pages has to be prepared.

I have checked also some Windows 3.1 updates but the download links are broken - e.g. here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/85557

Web Archive: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://suppor...le/wfwy2kup.asp shows the last existence of the download page in February 2004.

And surprisingly just the download page disappeared, the update itself: http://download.microsoft.com/download/wfw...US/WFWY2KUP.EXE not.

Regardless on the availability in the future it is good idea to download everything and keep it for possible future (re)installations.

Petr

Edited by Petr

I have checked also some Windows 3.1 updates but the download links are broken - e.g. here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/85557

Web Archive: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://suppor...le/wfwy2kup.asp shows the last existence of the download page in February 2004.

And surprisingly just the download page disappeared, the update itself: http://download.microsoft.com/download/wfw...US/WFWY2KUP.EXE not.

I have also noticed MS removed some [old] MSKB and download pages from their site a while back, but the files themselves are still there, IF one knows exactly the URLs. :(

FM Y2K fixes for Win/WfWG 3.1x:

http://www.mdgx.com/w31toy.htm#W3X

* Microsoft Windows/WfWG 3.1x File Manager (FM = WINFILE.EXE) Year 2000 (Y2K) Updates:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=85557

- FM for WfWG 3.11 [105 KB, English]:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/wfw...US/WFWY2KUP.EXE

- FM for Windows 3.1x [80 KB, English]:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/win...US/W31Y2KUP.EXE