Will Critical Updates be avail for WIN98SE after June 2006?

Microsoft extended support will end on 30 june 2006.

After that all existing updates and information will be available for download for at least 1 year. I don't know about Windows Update.

However there will get no new critical updates released to patch vulnerabilities, and you can't acquire any hotfixes from Microsoft from that point.

Well, the reason I bring this issue up is mainly for IE 6.0. Now I know there are a few D/L out there where you can get this individually, but they weigh around 80MB. With what I install for IE 6.0 it D/L's about 14.5MB off the Windows Update. Also off a clean install and installing Gape's SE SP, there are a lot of Updates you need to D/L that are not included in Gape's SE SP:

IE 6 SP1

Cumlative Secuirty Update IE 6 SP1 (KB905915

Security Update for DX 9 (KB904706)

Security Update WMP 6.4 (Q320920)

Security Update Nov 20th 2001

Security Update Microsoft VM (816093)

Outlook Express 6

Cumlative Security Update Outlook Express 6 SP 1(KB837009)

Windows Address Book

Security Update WMP 9 (KB885492)

Here's how I do a fresh install for WIN98SE:

1. Install WIN98SE

2. Install IE 6.0 SP1

2. Install DX 9.0c

4. Install Device Drivers

5. Install MSOffice (version 2000)

6. Install SE SP 2.1a

7. Install Critical Updates

8. Install Add'l Windows and MSOffice Updates

How? Where are these files stored? Please explain.....

These files are stored where you downloaded them :-)

Updates that are available via Windows Update only can be downloaded by using Windows Update Catalog

Full Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 can be downloaded (you can choose the platform(s)) by the following command:

"ie6setup.exe" /c:"ie6wzd.exe /d /s:""#E"

(you have to download ie6setup.exe at first)

Is this all you need? Anything unclear?

Petr

Hello Petr,

Yes. It's a little unclear what you've described. Basically I would be looking to somehow install IE 6.0 SP1 w/o having to connect to the Windows Update site. I want to be able to install IE 6.0 SP1 off a CD like when I do a clean install of WIN98SE. I am aware of iesetup.exe, which is like 540k or something, but that still requires d/l off the internet. I have a dial-up connection, so it's kind of a pain in the a** to d/l around 14.5MB to install IE 6.0 SP1. Any advice helps! Thanks!

Hello Petr,

Yes. It's a little unclear what you've described. Basically I would be looking to somehow install IE 6.0 SP1 w/o having to connect to the Windows Update site. I want to be able to install IE 6.0 SP1 off a CD like when I do a clean install of WIN98SE. I am aware of iesetup.exe, which is like 540k or something, but that still requires d/l off the internet. I have a dial-up connection, so it's kind of a pain in the a** to d/l around 14.5MB to install IE 6.0 SP1. Any advice helps! Thanks!

OK, so then you will just run the command

"ie6setup.exe" /c:"ie6wzd.exe /d /s:""#E"

All items needed for installation are then downloaded to the folder you will choose.

Then you can install IE just by running ie6setup locally, it will use the downloaded files and will need no connection to the Internet.

Petr

Hello Petr,

Ok, so I understand the command line "ie6setup.exe" /c:"ie6wzd.exe /d /s:""#E", but I still don't understand how a 481k file (ie6setup.exe) is going to install 14.5MB worth of IE 6.0 SP1 w/o having a connection to the internet. Now I've done a search in my windows directory and found a folder "Windows Update Setup Files", which contain zip files like IE_S1, IE_S2, IE_S3, etc. So, would I like have to copy this entire folder to a CD if I wanted to install IE 6.0 SP1 on a clean WIN98SE install w/o having to connect to the internet? Sorry if I seem stupid about this, but I do want to learn how this is done.

Hello Petr,

Ok, so I understand the command line "ie6setup.exe" /c:"ie6wzd.exe /d /s:""#E", but I still don't understand how a 481k file (ie6setup.exe) is going to install 14.5MB worth of IE 6.0 SP1 w/o having a connection to the internet. Now I've done a search in my windows directory and found a folder "Windows Update Setup Files", which contain zip files like IE_S1, IE_S2, IE_S3, etc. So, would I like have to copy this entire folder to a CD if I wanted to install IE 6.0 SP1 on a clean WIN98SE install w/o having to connect to the internet? Sorry if I seem stupid about this, but I do want to learn how this is done.

This command line will download all necessary components, so next time ie6setup will use the already downloaded files and will not try to connect to the Internet. Yes, there will be files like IE_S1.CAB, IE_S2.CAB, IE_S3.CAB and many others. You can choose if you want to download files for Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT 4 or Windows 2000 or all of them.

I don't know what you have in the folder you have mentioned but it is possible that it already contains all necessary files - just try it.

Petr

Hello Petr,

I tried the command line "ie6setup.exe" /c:"ie6wzd.exe /d /s:""#E", but it doesn't work (I tried with and w/o the quote marks.) I've searched my HD for the ie6wzd.exe file, and I don't have it anywhere. ie6setup.exe is found in two places: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer & C:\Windows\Windows Update Setup Files. Please help.

Hello Petr,

I tried the command line "ie6setup.exe" /c:"ie6wzd.exe /d /s:""#E", but it doesn't work (I tried with and w/o the quote marks.) I've searched my HD for the ie6wzd.exe file, and I don't have it anywhere. ie6setup.exe is found in two places: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer & C:\Windows\Windows Update Setup Files. Please help.

ie6wzd.exe is inside the ie6setup.exe file, it is OK.

What means "it doesn't work"? What is the error message?

Just to be sure that everything is correct. Please download the ie6setup.exe file from this location:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ie6...US/ie6setup.exe

to any folder, switch to this folder and type:

ie6setup.exe /c:"ie6wzd.exe /d /s:""#E"

The "Accept license should appear", then you have to enter the folder where the installation files should be downloaded, "C:\WINDOWS\Windows Update Setup Files" is the default, then you have to select the type of the system, for Windows 98 the size of all files is 19.3 MB, if you want to download installation files for all platforms, it will be about 46 MB.

Then you press next, and after short delay the download will begin.

If I remember correctly, all files in the destination folder will be erased prior the download.

Petr

Microsoft extended support will end on 30 june 2006.

After that all existing updates and information will be available for download for at least 1 year. I don't know about Windows Update.

However there will get no new critical updates released to patch vulnerabilities, and you can't acquire any hotfixes from Microsoft from that point.

According to the Extended Support page on Windows 98 & ME posted here:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean1

any existing updates posted at Windows Update [WU] will be available through June 30, 2006.

so the WU site (including WU catalog) should work indefinitely for Win98 & ME, even past 6-30-2006.

Edited by erpdude8

so the WU site (including WU catalog) should work indefinitely for Win98 & ME, even past 6-30-2006.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

Even at present many updates adversised by WU are missing on the WU server - just try to download all W98 updates from WU catalog and you will see long list of updates that were not possible to download.

Many downloads were cancelled by Microsoft already. IE 5.5 SP2 for example seems to be still available at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

but in fact for other platforms than Windows Me it is available in Slovak and Slovenian only because there is no IE6 for those languages. Microsoft has achieved this limitation just by removing the first files from the download server (IE_S1.CAB, Iew2k_1.cab, Ient_s1.cab), all other files remained untouched.

Also some older patches are no longer available for download although the download pages still exist:

Try to download the following updates for IE 5.0:

http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/iebuil.../en/jsredir.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/iebuil...n/servredir.htm

Updates for IE4.01SP2 or for IE5.01 are still available, but for IE 5.0 (part of Windows 98 SE) not.

Nobody at Microsoft will repair these broken links.

So I'd very careful in thoughts what will be available from Microsoft and what not.

Petr