Memory Timings

Aegis

I've finally received my OCZ memory :D! Now I'm starting to doubt whether I made the right decision or not...I found some sites that compared the difference between memory timings and found that the difference is barely measurable, whereas changing the bus speed dramatically affects performance. Now my question is whether memory timings will have more effect on my 2 sticks of 1GB RAM?

Total Througput = Frequency/Timings

(give or take a little)

The timings there is the sum of the timings. You'll definatly see a difference between 2-2-2-5 and 3-3-3-8 RAM, but as for the greater performance boost, you're better off having a little bit more laxed timings, and a higher frequency. This is not only good for your RAM, but also because the bandwidth of your entire motherboard will increase as well. :)

i cant wait to test out my ocz ram i got :D OCZ Platinum Edition DDR400 2x1GB 2-3-2-5 :D

Ohh they look good, I'm keeping an eye out for a good set of 1GB sticks, they nearly match their 512mb predecessors which did 2-2-2-5.

Would be interesting what voltage and timings are needed for 250fsb :) could you test that for me?

The Corsair was looking like a good bet , the 3500LL that is but the heat spreaders are massive and wouldn't fit with the XP-120.

Edited by Mekrel

you should have gotten the ddr500, but its still amazing ram

Yes I regret that I didn't do my research beforehand...it was an impulse buy because of it's low price after rebate and the rebate was ending soon :P. Unfortunately, after I bought it, another rebate appeared that would've saved me $2 more!

And after some more research, I dug up this:

http://www.techpowerup.com/memdb/memdetails.php?id=m24

Now I'm just hoping one of these chips turns out to be a good overclocker.

Not even during gaming? And I've run into some rebate issues (like finding the UPC code) for the memory. Though I haven't solved it yet, one thing I've learned is that the OCZ staff is great! I sent an email off to tech. support and someone with good english responded within 30 minutes of that email :o! Very pleased with OCZ :D.

Edited by Aegis

my ram is running at 3-3-3-8 which is amazing when im at ~245 htt

gaming rocks with 2 gigs, battlefield 2 with no lag at all just rocks. dont worry too much about timings. what you should do is leave them at auto in the bios, then overclock your cpu to however high you want, then look in cpu-z for your timings and whatever those are, just set those into your bios.

The only downside of 2X1GB RAM is that they do not typically respond well to overvolting. They tend to also not overclock as well.

Any 2-2-2-5 DDR400 RAM will virtually always function as DDR500 RAM (just at 2.5-3-3-8 or 3-4-3-8 - depends on your blades). I've never bought RAM based on initial DDR speed, but on the timings they can run. If you compare the average DDR500 RAM, you will see timing like 3-4-4-8 or 4-4-4-8. Drop that ram down to DDR400, and I bet you it will run 2-2-2-5! I think it's just a naming game.

The raw difference in performance benchmarks is typically marginal (5-8 FPS in games), but that can be critical if you're running around 30FPS. Could mean the difference between eye candy on or eye candy off.