HFSLIP and CDIMAGE

Tomcat76

I've been reading around a bit, and people seem to recommend to use the -j1 switch with cdimage.exe when creating a bootable ISO for a Windows installation CD. But wouldn't this cause problems when integrating DX9 into Windows 2000 with HFSLIP? Wouldn't -j2 or even -n be a better solution given the Win2K-with-DX9 installation cannot be performed successfully from DOS anyway?

I could test this myself but I'm a little short on time. Has anyone experimented with this before?

I'm using the same line all the time with DX9 integrated:

cdimage.exe -lSOFT -h -j1 -m -oci -bSOFT\boot.bin E:\SOFT SOFT.ISO

All works. I experimented with the switches before but had some problems either with filenames or with something else.

Edited by Oleg_II

I'm using the same line all the time with DX9 integrated:
cdimage.exe -lSOFT -h -j1 -m -oci -bSOFT\boot.bin E:\SOFT SOFT.ISO

All works. I experimented with the switches before but had some problems either with filenames or with something else.

whats the i command for in your -oci

I know using cdimage GUI beta 3 there are

x

o

oc

oi

os

in the Signature/CRC options

Edited by jroc

I executed cdimage /? to see the switches available. My concern with -j1 was the last part of its description: "but some of the filenames in the ISO-9660 name space might be changed to comply with DOS 8.3 and/or ISO-9660 naming restrictions."

The ones for -j2 and -n seemed "harmless" to me:

-j2: encode Juliet Unicode filenames without standard ISO-9660 names

-n: allow long filenames (longer than DOS 8.3 names)

DirectX 9 comes with a file called "mpeg2data.ax"....

I don't think you'll run into any problem utilizing the other switches for a more lenient file naming structure, before using HFSLIP I would manually create ISO's w/ NERO and used nearly the most lenient file structure possible, don't recall exactly which - but believe it was Joliet + ISO 1999 or something along those lines.

Since all of the install files/cabs of a Windows install are 8.3 by default, all the enhanced naming structure will do is NOT f-up anything else you may have on the disk - like unrenamed hotfixes, programs, zips, etc.

The Disk installs/boots just fine even when not a ISO9660 - just likely not wise to do for a win98 disk - but we're hardly talking about that are we.

CDIMAGE.EXE compresses more by putting each file only once in the ISO; for identical files, it just creates multiple entries in the TOC.

mkisofs can do this too if you use the dfl addon, but the HFSLIP tutorial doesn't mention it so I'm sticking with CDIMAGE.

Edited by Tomcat76