AMD 5200+ Problem

Hatefulsorrow

Ok I'm stuped on this one. I'm servicing a computer. It's an HP Pavilian zx1600x. (I think, its not with me at the moment) Now the delema. The AMD Processor reads 1600 Mhz in the Bios. But when in windows (XP Pro SP2, all updates) The system proporties show that the processor is only 787Mhz. Then when you load the game Star Wars Galaxies, the game opens an error window that states that the processor is 383Mhz and 900 Mhz is needed to run the game. I've updated all the software and firmware in the system as well as flash updated the Bios. This problem showed up about two weeks ago. There was nothing special about what was going on in the system (IE Updates, Installs, Ect.) How do I go about fixing this problem. The system runs like an old 386 socket 3. Lol. I have tried every thing short of a re-install of windows. I would like to avoid this if possable due to the extensive process of this clients software reinstalltion and backup. Idea's are much needed. Thanks in advance.

Hatefulsorrow

P.S. I hope this is the right place to post this topic. If not, I'm sorry and plz move.

HP Pavilion zx5200 Notebook PC

1600 Mhz AMD 5200+

512 MB Ram

32 Mb NVidia Geforce4 420Go

80Gig Western Digital 7200Rpm ATA

Broadcom 802.11B/G wireless internal on PCI-miniport

Realtek RTL810L Nic 10/100 Mbps

Agere Systems AC'97 Modem

ALPS Touchpad

DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive

Edited by Hatefulsorrow

Don't you mean AMD Athlon XP 2500+? ;)

Try downgrading your BIOS or chipset drivers if possible.

Also, have you tried running the game when under Windows' power setting of "Always on"?

Yes I do mean that. Also I have tryed both of these things and have had no luck. Power settings are always set to "Always On" and the Bios and chipset drivers where factory default (signed Aug. of 2004 I think)

until yesterday when I upgraded them thinking that the old version could be the problem. Could the CPU be bad??? The client just emailed me saying that in the system proporties window now shows that the AMD is now showing as an Intel. It just says Intel and nothing else. (No model number or type IE. Celeron or P4) Also now his video card is only registaring 23 Mbs of Video Memory rather then the 32 that it should be. (The 32Mb NVidia is non-shared.) :angry:

Confusion..........*sigh*

Hatefulsorrow

Edited by Hatefulsorrow

Maybe..... But that would have changed with the bios update. Even after the update I reset the bios to factory default as to rule out such things. Im not sure....... I'll look into that anyway just to be on the safe side but I don't think that can be changed on this board. At least not without a patch or unlock command of some kind.

@Suryad

The things that it is running at the speed it shows. If it was just registaring wrong the client could deal with it but the proformence loss is the problem. And if not before, why is it showing now? Up until a week or two ago there was never a problem and the system ran fine.