wmp 9/windizupdate problem

ZenMystic

am I complete noob so I hope this is the place to post. Sorry if its not no offense ment.

I slipstreamed windows 2000 without ei for the first time today and all went well appart from 2 problems

1... Windows media Play 9 will not run I box comes up saying "an internal application error occoured" what ever that means...

2... when I try to use the windizupdate it download and and installs updates (or so it says) then after install is complete if crashes out firefox am running version 1.0.7.. I looked no update were done from what I see

if anyone can help me with these 2 problems....

Appart from that all seems to have gone well

TY for your time

Hallo ZenMystic and all other,

in tommyp's latest HFSLIP_51109.CMD is a little error. I yesterday informed tommyp about it.

In line 1780 : ECHO >>WORK\HFSLIPHF.INF - is an error!!

It should be:

line 1780 : ECHO. >>WORK\HFSLIPHF.INF

This failing point produces later in the slipstreaming-process a defect file "HFSLIPWU.INF".

During Windiz-installation occours NO ERRORS (windiz ignores the defect file worthless) but the installation is for... (we say in Germany "...for the as" / "...für den Arsch" :) ). Many entries failing after installation in the registry!!

What can you do...

1. Edit the line 1780 in "HFSLIP_51109.CMD" (see above). Then save the file and start slipstreaming again...

This line is in the middle of call ":DX9C"

or

2. - AFTER slipstreaming AND BEFORE making *.iso search the file "HFSLIPWU.INF" (in folder "HFSLIP\SOURCESS\I386").

- Open and edit this file with "Notepad.exe" and delete the LAST!!! line (ECHO.....).

- Then save the file an make your *.iso.

I hope, I could help you.

(sorry, for my bad english - I'm from Germany)

Best regards

Willi.

wilkol: Thank You for telling my that about windizupdate....

My question is does this effect windows media player 9 too? I reslipstreamed but this time not including wmp9 as I figured I could install it later.... but still the same problem Seems to install ok but when I try to run wmp9 I still get the error "an internal application error occoured." How can I fix this?

Here is a my updated error report..... .... I case needed....

ERROR_REPORT.zip

Hallo,

ZenMystic, I've seen your WU.TXT and I self even first running HFNETCHK on my pc.... Oooh, my god... this tool is older as the moon :no: . This tool says on my pc WARNING... WARNING... YOU HAVE NEWER FILES AS EXPECTED. The files MUST be newer!!! That's ok! How a WARNING????

I'm a profi and I check my files self :) .

Your problem...

I've seen, that you use the FDV-fileset. This means that many components will NOT be installed. Check your installation first with ALL components.

I've even installed win2000(server) with ALL components, with ALL hotfixes and WITH IE6 from my slip-iso on a VM. I've NO problems. My media player 9 is starting errorfree (I use a german release).

I think, you have a problem with the FDV-fileset. I've seen, that you NOT uses DX9C. I'm not shure, whether media player uses components from DX9C (codecs or other).

Therefore, you MUST correct the little error in the latest "HFSLIP_51109.CMD" - BEFORE you starting the slipstream-process - see above my article from yesterday!!

Willi.

I have a bit of trouble understanding your last post... DirectX9 is installed I install it later didn't want to slipstream it at the time... as for hfnetchk thing I donno much about it except thats what I was told to get.

As for wmp yes it maybe the case it wil not work without IE. Can anyone confirm this? If thats the case am fine with leaving it out I almost never use it. but do use it sometimes like once a week maybe. I would just like to know though if the problem is my end being new to this and having, I admit gaps in my knowledge at this time. although on a positive note I do now know more about windows today than I did last week.

as for the hfslipcmd I was using an older one. The one I first downloaded when i first came to this site last week using the newer one now though. either way job well done to the people here... for my first time doing this to only have 2 problems and one just due to a possiable bug thats not bad. Show this to be a well thought out and well done job.

Not to go off topic of this post... But I'd like to be able to alter the boot thing so like the original W2K CD it aske what drive/path do I want to install to and do I want to format to FAT32/NTFS. What would I need to change so it always asks me this? As I did the first time round have trouble getting W2K to install were i wanted it to. It just seemed to choose on its own and install. But with the original I always got to pick and format if i wanted.

ZenMystic

Not to go off topic of this post... But I'd like to be able to alter the boot thing so like the original W2K CD it aske what drive/path do I want to install to

Delete WINNT.SIF and it should let you specify all sorts of variables including destination.

as for WMP 9, i really don't remember if it requires IE. i know it requires MSHTML to display it's stuff, so part of its functionality does require IE. but as tommyp points out, many alternatives exist and they are all, bar none, better than microsoft's media player. many will give you links to their favorite players; mine is the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack with Media Player Classic.

Well deleting the Winnt.sif is a bit excessive, check in your Win2K folder/disk, for folder Support/Tools/Deploy.CAB

Unpack that and run it, it will create a new File that is useable as WINNT.sif, if you compare that file to the WINNT.sif you already have, should see the fields that you need to change/or delete.

I can't recall which they are off the top of my head, but even with a WINNT.sif file, you will get prompted for values that you leave out - so you can make it mostly unattended.