Windows 98 SE usb problem

mahler

I have just purchased a PCI usb upgrade card because my Windows 98SE PC only has version 1.1. and

I carefully followed the instructions on how to install the Q-TEC USB 2.0 PCI card which told me to fit the card, switch PC on and click "cancel" the hardware Wizard, and place the supplied CD rom in CD-ROM drive, then click on "install driver" then finish.

I did all that and it looked as if the job was done with no error messages, but on plugging in a USB device it did not work at all with power ok but no data connection.

My next action was to access Device manager where I saw the following.

Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Intel 82801AA USB Universal Host Controller

USB 2.0 Root Hub

USB Root Hub

VIA PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller

Clicking on 'properties' for each of these revealed no problems at all and the required drivers in place.

I have been working on this problem for two days and it's starting to get at me with the manufacturers instructions sounding so easy.

At one point in the above list I saw " PCI Universal Serial Bus" (yellow exclamation mark) but during my various attempts to get it going I've somehow got rid of that, but not sure now if in fact it should be there, if so how can I restore it.

The original two motherboard mounted 1.1 USB ports are still working as normal, but no 2.0 at all from the five card mounted USB ports.

Any help really appreciated as thinking it was a faulty card I contacted the vendor who kindly offered to send me a replacement which I received today, but the conditions are exactly the same.

Regards ravel

Go to the BIOS If you are not using your system's USB controller, select Disabled to free the IRQ resource. Also Assign IRQ for USB set to disable

then go safe mode and delete the old devices from the device manager and reboot. If you have any doubles of your new intel delete them all and it should replace them on the next reboot

PCI ports (slots) are NOT all created equal.

Never put anthing in slot #1 except a video card.

Slot #2 should be used for an internal Modem

Slots #3 and above could be used for a USB expansion card.

If you've put the USB card in the wrong slot, that could be why it's not working.

However, I have had one USB card that would NOT work on certain mobo's.

I installed a card by different maker, and it worked fine.

Give it a try,

Andromeda43