Switchless Silent Installers, RVM/nLite Addons, .MSI Files

RogueSpear

No I can't write a cmd script because the whole process is dependant upon WMI. That's one of the main reasons I started using VBscript for everything.

Hi,

Finally i had success with a cmd file.

In fact, i found a

VMware Command Line Tools where vmchk.exe tool inside (here attached bellow).

When vmchk.exe run from a Command Prompt IN a "VMware Virtual Machine", the message "Runing inside VMWare <version 6>." is displayed.

When vmchk.exe run NOT IN a VMware Virtual Machine, the message "Not runing inside VMWare." is displayed.

I wrote a small script calling vmchk.exe and check if run IN or NOT IN a VMware machine

@echo off 
set vm=Runing inside VMWare <version 6>.

vmchk.exe >chkfile.dat
for /f "delims=!" %%a in (chkfile.dat) do set check=%%a

If "%check%" == "%vm%" VMwaretools.exe

and here pipe directly to a variable for UA install directly run from a CD

@echo off 
for /f %%a in ('vmchk') do (
if "%%a=="Runing inside VMWare <version 6>." vmtools.exe
)

Enjoy

coucou

Edited by coucou

Nice find, but I still don't believe you'll get the installer itself to work from svcpack.inf or cmdlines.txt. At least I've never been able to.

Hi RogueSpear,

I will test it later with cmdlines.txt but I'm 100% sure it will works with [GuiRunOnce].

BTW, just for my Info, I suppose you made VMwareTools 7-zip swittchless installer.

I tried mine here bellow, and when i launch VMwareTools.exe i got the message (StartX, No parameters specified...) here attached image .

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram="StartX.exe /WAIT \"msiexec /i VMwareTools.msi /qn-!\""
;!@InstallEnd@!

May you show me your confitg.txt???

Regards

coucou

Ah!!! When i opened yr VMwareTools.exe i found StartX.exe inside and NO trace of runhiddenconsole.exe.

I found runhiddenconsole.exe , there is no comment how to use it with .msi files. I would appreciate to know a template how to use it in cinfig.txt with .msi files.

Regards

coucou

Edited by coucou

I'm attaching the program to this post. Here is an example of the config.txt from what I packed last:

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram="RunHiddenConsole.exe /w msiexec /i FFDShow20050803.msi /qn"
;!@InstallEnd@!

Much simpler context eh? Also don't forget to UPX your 7z sfx module. What I do is rename the file to 7zSorg.sfx. Use Resource Hacker or whatever you want to change the icon and then UPX it with this command line:

upx -9 -o7zS.sfx 7zSorg.sfx

Then combine it all to make your switchless silent installer:

copy /b 7zS.sfx + config.txt + FFDShow20050803.7z FFDShow20050803.exe

I realize that you may already know some of this, but I thought I'd include a little more for anyone else out there reading the thread.

RunHiddenConsole.7z

Edited by RogueSpear

• 2 weeks later...

Update - 20051126

Updated Crap Cleaner to V1.26.218

Added DVD Identifier V4.2.0

Added MSN Messenger V7.5.0311.rar

Added Paint.NET V2.5

Updated TrueCrypt to V4.1

Please note that the Paint.NET installer has not been rigorously tested. I ran it through some it's paces, applied some filters, etc. and I didn't run into anything, but I'd appreciate it someone would give me feedback if there are any problems. I always worry about repacks of programs that require .NET.

Edited by RogueSpear