best linux for a semi-newb?

colemancb

Alright, first of all, I feel like an as***** for posting this here, simply because it's a windows board, but this is the only place I knew of people that would actually know something and not just bul***** to me.

I'm looking for a linux distro that I can try out, just to sort of get a feel for things. What I'm mainly looking for is something high-security, to make myself invisible while I'm online, and with a lot of tools to help me monitor ports open, in/out connections, etc... but still allows me to be productive online, mainly instant messaging, music, and browsing / downloading.

Any recommendations?

MY specs:

Dell Dimension 2400

Intel Celeron 2.4ghz

384MB RAM

nVidia GeForce FX 5200 PCI

40GB IDE drive

I recommend Ubuntu or Mepis (Mepis is also a live cd, which you don't have install if you don't want to [while running on the cd, it is much slower]. You can also check out: DistroWatch.

Also Phlax has alot of security tools you can try out, while still running on a live cd. Phlax

Edited by rockerbl2

I second Ubuntu, or any other Debian-based distribution. It's easy to manage once it's installed, and it's easy to remove or add software as well (apt-get, aptitude, and/or synaptic). No dependancy worries (unless you're trying to do something really weird :) ).

If you're new to Linux, and have a good internet connection, you have great options! There are several nice distributions packaged as Live CDs, which can be installed to hard disk if you like them. If you follow the advice others have given, you can get an Ubuntu Live disk, a Mepis disk... and I'd also recommend looking at Kanotix... and, for a change of pace, PCLinuxOS. Grab 'em, burn 'em, boot 'em and run 'em! Once you find the one you are enjoying the most, use it's install to hard disk feature. Here are some links:

Ubuntu Downloads

Kanotix

Mepis

PCLinuxOS

If you can burn a DVD, I'd say grab RR4. It's a live Gentoo disk, with options to install to the hard disk. I grabbed a copy and ran the daylights out of it on my AthlonXP2600 machine, and it's extremely complete, visually well designed, and has an adapted version of K-Package to update packages. The release date is only a week or so ago, so there's probably nothing to update for quite a while. Here's a link, if you, or anyone else, wants to give it a shot.

RR4 Homepage

Sure, this is a Windows user forum, but all the kids are trying Linux! ;)

I think I've decided on Ubuntu for now, to try anyway, what sort of applications would I get so there's not a lot of adapting involved as far as applications and such, I've downloaded Firefox and Gaim, but I'm looking for an iTunes replacement, something with the same interface.

Also....when I download programs for this distro, I want the Debain packages, right?

I think I've decided on Ubuntu for now, to try anyway, what sort of applications would I get so there's not a lot of adapting involved as far as applications and such, I've downloaded Firefox and Gaim, but I'm looking for an iTunes replacement, something with the same interface.

Also....when I download programs for this distro, I want the Debain packages, right?

Try using apt-get instead of downloading if at all possible. If you need to download and Ubuntu isn't available, try the Debian packages. It's not guaranteed to work, but it's your best bet.

Not too sure about iTunes replacement...