New mobo, cpu, ram, case, powers off after 5 minutes...

ceez

Hey msfn'ers...

I bought a new Chaintech Mobo with AthlonXP 3000+ barton core , an ULTRA CPU fan and a single ULTRA PC3200 DDR 184pin module @ 1gig. It's mounted on a JustPC Case 425W. (it seems like the links dont quite work, just right click and select 'copy shortcut' and paste in new browser window, sorry :()

Now this is not the first time I put a PC together so I am not a n00b at this.

I put everything together, cpu on mobo, heatsink (there is a "dab" of heatsink on the CPU -size of a grain of rice!), inserted RAM on the DDR1 slot on the mobo and placed on case. Connected a 20gig and a CDRW to primary and secondary IDE, conected all power cables. Powered on, BIOS settings autodetects the CPU at 133mhz freq (333) and shows the 1gig RAM and XP3000+. The 1st time around I was just reading the available BIOS settings and it powered off. I pressed the power button but would not turn on, flicked the power supply rocker switch...no luck, after a few seconds it powered off and 10 seconds afterwards it powered off again. Waited a few minutes, everything powers on and stays on, for about 5 minutes before the whole process happens again. Has happened at least 4 times. I even tried installing windows, but it shuts down 5 minutes into the text based setup.

The CPU fan is spinning fine, the power supply case fun is running fine, no funny noises, just a nice "hummmmmm".

I have re-seated the mobo power connection and the heatsink\fan & CPU. There is no smell of "burnt" on the cpu or the power supply.

Thinking it 'might' be RAM, I even tried a 256mb module PC2700 module (supported by mobo) which I am currently using on this PC.... it still reboots! :angry:

So I am thinking it could be a faulty CPU? Power supply? I guess it would be easier to exchange the CPU at my local tigerdirect store than getting another case...

Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading!

ceez

Edited by ceez

well it could be overheating but since uve reseated the cpu then im not sure, try to feel the heat coming off of it or maybe you have a sensor. its not the ram since youve tried different modules. do you have another psu you can try and do you know waht psu model/make it is? since it came with a vry cheap case, it usually means that its a vry crappy psu so that is what i beleive the problem is.

@ ripken204, the PSU is the same brand as the case itself, a JustPC 415W. I could take out the PSU of my current PC and connect it... man that would be so annoying. I guess I'll give that a try after hurricane Wilma passes through south miami! :(

I dont feel any heat coming out from the cpu when it's on.

@ aspenjim, I cant use any monitoring software.... i cant load any OS! :(

Thanks for your input.

Anyone else?

Thanks,

ceez

I could take out the PSU of my current PC and connect it

I think this is the most likely cause. What are the specs of the other system? If you already have one running a K7/P4 system, that should be a good indicator that it will take the punishment.

The only other thing I can think of from what you described is maybe you installed the heatsink 180 degrees off correct orientation? Uncommon, but quite possible on a first time build or something. With the board mounted in the case, and the case standing normally up on its feet, look at the CPU socket at the very top edge of the board. You should see a small portion of the socket that is elevated from the rest of it. Now look at the base of your heatsink and along one of the long edges you will see a depression. As you can probably guess by now, if you dont install it the correct way it wont sit flat and wont make adequate contact with the CPU core.

update...

Well I survived hurricane Wilma....bunch of trees down anywhere and lost power for 5 days...life slowly getting back to normal.

My current PSU is a 350w that has worked with no probs for 3 years pushing a 1.5ghz Athlon XP 1800, 2 HD's, 2 CDRW's, Vid, Nic, Sblaster, 2.0 USB card....and a floppy drive! :)

I swaped out the psu, went straight to the bios and kept an eye on the time.... it ran for 10 minutes and powered off, after that when i try to power on it runs for 3 seconds and powers off.

So definitely not a psu issue.

I immediately took the heatsink off, it does not feel hot. Removed the cpu, it does not feel hot either. Used the good ol' "smell test" and nothing smells burnt. I am starting to believe that I might have a faulty mobo or cpu... I dont see any other explanation.

Time to go to the customer service desk and fight for a replacement...

Thkz

ceez

The only other thing I can think of from what you described is maybe you installed the heatsink 180 degrees off correct orientation?

@ssmokee, you were right, I placed it on the "wrong side". It now ran for about 30 minutes, time to put it to the test!

Thanks again!

ceez

:thumbup

Edited by ceez

@ssmokee, you were right, I placed it on the "wrong side". It now ran for about 30 minutes, time to put it to the test!

Good to hear. I was soooo close to not even mentioning that because I thought the chances were so slim. Was this your first build?