Remote Control XP

JayLewis101

Does anyone know how to control a remote PC with a tool such as VNC if both computers are connected to the internet via a local broadband service provider and both using WindowsXP

I am desperately trying……so far with no success, to help my girlfriend, currently overseas, with regular software configurations on her laptop. We both use home broadband providers in (france and the uk).

I have tried WinVNC to no avail. Of course it was easy to use testing it at home with PC’s on the same LAN. But am puzzled as to how this can be configured to work with 2 PC’s on different LANS and Service Providers.

Can WinVNC or ANY other software product anywhere in the world (microsoft or otherwise) be used to gain remote control over the internet???

I am struggling to see why this is so difficult given that access to all IP info on the remote system is obviously readily available to me.

I would really appreciate any suggestions with this “problem”.

Thanks in advance. Frustrated JL!

VNC can be done over the internet, i used to do spyware removal on my ex-girlfriends computer thats in Florida USA, from California/Idaho USA.

if she has a router, she has to open port 5900 in the router, TCP Protocol i believe.

make sure she puts on a password to connect. and DO NOT put the box for "Require MSLogon" cause then you would have to have a username/password on her computer.

UltraVNC, or any VNC for that matter, is a great free application...you do need to configure firewalls accordingly.

Remote Desktop is nice too, but I have never used it over a WAN before...it can be done, but I don't know what ports you need to open. 3389 seems to ring a bell...

I've never used CoPilot, but it looks nice other than the fact they charge for it. I use a similar product called LogMeIn, which has several versions. They offer a totally free version which allows you to connect to a remote computer over the internet without adjusting settings. You don't get file transfer with the free one, but if it's just cleanup then you won't miss it.