FDV Fileset & nLite

saugatak

No but this does:

cd D:\programs
junction "Internet Explorer" $Tools\MetaPad
cd D:\programs\$Tools\MetaPad
copy MetaPad.exe iexplore.exe

Shortcuts to Internet Explorer, now open MetaPad. Including the IE "object" on the desktop

From testing I can't make a junction .exe extension point to another...guess junctions aren't targettable at files(or at least binaries), unlike linux symlinks.

So if you wanted to do the internet explorer redirection w/o that extra file, looks like you'd have to rename the program in question to iexplore.exe heh

Edited by Crash&Burn

• 2 weeks later...

dirtwarrior

You are going to try FDV's fileset and nLite? Maybe try to ask TommyP - he mentioned before he did it and also warned not to remove IE with nLite in this combination.

Let us know about your inventions :yes:

Update on Hardlinking files, not directory junctions.

http://www.kuhniverse.com/ftp/freeware/CreateHardLink.exe

Thus you could do:

createhardlink "D:\Programs\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" D:\Programs\Firefox\Firefox.exe

I tested this one with (within IE's dir)

createhardlink iexplore.exe "D:\Programs\$Tools\MetaPad\metapad.exe"

And clicking on the IE object on desktop opens metapad hehe.

As well if you have a WinXP disk around fsutil can be used in Win2000 for this, but it's phrasing really sucks:

fsutil hardlink create iexplore.exe "D:\Programs\$Tools\MetaPad\metapad.exe"

If anyone cares anyways ;)

• 1 month later...

Hello gentlemen :hello:

Just want to report how is doing FDV's fileset + HFCLEANUP folder with reducing files compairing with nLite :) That's my info:

- slipstreamed DirectX9C;

- slipstreamed 23 hotfixes (including msxmlcab.exe and wmfdist.exe) - 61,3MB;

- slipstreamed through HFEXPERT some little goodies (like REG.EXE) - 1,5MB;

- used 76 RDV, REM and RIN files (start combining them in less files like with GAMES.REM and GAMES.RIN (combined games.inf and pinball.inf);

- my i386 folder contains 130MB, about 3000 files and Windows installs in 15 minutes;

- WINNT folder on installed system takes 324MB and memory usage with RamDisk (10MB) unabled is 46MB.

Installation folder i386 HFSLIPed without hotfixes and DX takes 110MB and has 2650 files. I'm pretty sure it could be 100MB, I just not removed a lot of things yet.

I have not removed so far:

- network cards, sound cards and most graphic adapters not count other devices drivers I'm not sure of (game controllers, ATM, ports, imgaging devices except scanners - USB camerars and so, etc);

- fonts and some language related files (I removed most files in LANG folder manually);

- CDPlay, Hyperterminal, part of WU (removed only AU), Image View, Music Players (?), system tools, speach, networking components, a big deal of IE, hardware support, some codecs and some other files that I have not identify (like CLOCK.AVI and the same).

I think if I slipstream DirectX9 there could be some files from DirectX7 that are not needed and deleted during DirectX9 installation?

So you see there is a plenty of work here :)

And I like removing settings with RIN files (but they may be really tricky and I had not time to learn it but trying).

In fact I'm not going to remove all the files that can be removed. I'd prefer have light and fast system with all hardware support and able running all programs I need :thumbup

Edited by Oleg_II