Are there any MSFN Idlers? ...

qzmicro

Yep.

That's what I'm planning.

Those who access this site, do use a browser already. It would be simple to just access the live chat as well, through browser.

Probably the previous attempts to get forum-ers onto live-chat, did not get much response, because it involved downloading or using extra programs - mIRC, or a IE applet, & the like...

And this is why, the approach is going to be different this time.

Nice idea :thumbup

any news on the irc chan?

Nah, I think it's a bit early... but it does seem promising. Hopefully they sticky this thread so that we can make this official and get some traffic in here.

Qz :huh:

Yep.

Those who access this site, do use a browser already. It would be simple to just access the live chat as well, through browser.

Probably the previous attempts to get forum-ers onto live-chat, did not get much response, because it involved downloading or using extra programs - mIRC, or a IE applet, & the like...

I see your logic! :thumbup

Yep.

I see your logic! :thumbup

Hate to ask the obvious, but.. does that mean we don't have an option for IRC or trillian? Just curious... Anyway I can get it is okay with me, but an IRC server that I can join externally to the site would be nice too.

I believe so, like prathapml said, they've tried the IRC and other external app angle in the past w/o much success. So hopefully, this way with an applet built right into the site the chat population will be higher due to it being less complicated.

Hmm.... Dunno, maybe some cross-solution of IRC-cum-web might be implemented in the future.

For now, its going to be web-only.

Okay, but may I please suggest we use something kind of like "bubbas-world" where you can use the IRC client that was web based. (I've seen flash one's not just java.) Anywho, are we even doing IRC, because bubbas-world also has a flash based custom chat (not IRC) but custom chat... anywho, check it out... http://www.bubbas-world.net/forum ... you'll have to register and all, but it's worth the look around.

Well, regardless how we do it, I can't wait... and I hope that we can figure something that will take off with all of our community members. Just for referece... if we do use an IRC based solution, we might have a lot more idlers and active members just lounging (especially those of us already on IRC) than if we were to have to have both an IRC client and a web browser open. Jsut food for thought. Cheers.

Edited by qzmicro

Okay, but may I please suggest we use something kind of like "bubbas-world" where you can use the IRC client that was web based.
Hmmm.... Linkie?

(to the adress of the flashchat)

And yes, its true that having a chatroom across web & IRC might bring in more people. We might look at expanding from web-only, to an IRC channel as well, in the future. :)

Okay, but may I please suggest we use something kind of like "bubbas-world" where you can use the IRC client that was web based.
Hmmm.... Linkie?

(to the adress of the flashchat)

And yes, its true that having a chatroom across web & IRC might bring in more people. We might look at expanding from web-only, to an IRC channel as well, in the future. :)

I trust your fine judgement, so whatever you wish to do ... I'm ready for... and willing. Let's get some chat going, huh?! :) Later all. Please let me know if i can be of assistance.

The Java/Web IRC client is http://www.pjirc.com/main.php pjirc. The client that was flashed based has been removed due to inactivity... but I will attemt to get a URL for you from bubba himself. :) Talk to you guys later.

Edited by qzmicro

Ah, so bubba's was the PJirc - its good, but still has a few problems...

For example, some ISPs (like mine :P) block IRC - in that case, neither mIRC nor pjIRC can get me connected to the chat channel!

As for the web-based chatroom, we tested a few apps, & decided on using X7-chat for this.

Just waiting for the approval from admin :)