Windows XP Home, DVD Decoder

hothouse_57

Well here I am again with another question. My dvd burner won't play movies on my computer, but it will burn dvds??? It is saying that I need a DVD Decoder, is there a free decoder that anyone knows of or a fix it program from Microsoft or something. If you know of something, please let me know. Thanks a lot.

The answer is "YES".

NO DVD player will actually play a DVD without the appropriate software.

Yes, Media Player 10 from Microsoft will probably do it, with the appropriate codec's,

But, there are a dozen or more equally good players out there that will also do a very good job.

Why not just Google for "DVD Player" and see what pops up?

I'm currently using the latest version of WinAmp to play .avi files that a friend downloads from the internet for me. I haven't tried a DVD movie yet.

The alternatives just go on and on.

Pick your player!

My own DVD drive came with a CD of drivers and a very good DVD movie player.

Have you looked on your own DVD drivers CD?

Cheers,

Andromeda43

Windows media player 10

Real Player

WinAmp

A few free players--I know WMP10 works. If you have WMP10 and it doesn't play your DVD's, perhaps try looking for updates, although I don't know if any exist(?), or as andromeda43 pointed out codecs may need to be downloaded.

As far as decoders go, I find it hard to believe that your DVD burner didn't come with an OEM version of Nero or Sonic or etc. Most equipement sellers will at least give you the software to make the device usable. Come to think of it, most will provide a DVD player as well. There are free decoders are out there, but I don't know names off hand (or if they are warez for that matter), but it shouldn't be that hard to search and investigate. Specifically, if you are trying to burn copyrighted material, you definately won't find any assistance on this board.

Edited by TheFlash428

Specifically, if you are trying to burn copyrighted material, you definately won't find any assistance on this board.

hothouse_57 was not asking this.

A decoder is not needed to burn a DVD disc, AFAIK, so that's besides the point.

You're right, I misunderstood the scope of the question. My apologies.