Problems booting Knoppix

Darude1234

Or, you can just go through the same steps as adding Knoppix except go into isolinux.sys (or what's not syslinux.sys), and add the following line:

KNOPPIX_DIR=DESIREDDIR

. You add that line to every line in syslinux that begins with Appen. For instance:

APPEND knoppix_dir=KNOPP34 ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt24.gz

The only problem with this method is it still uses the background file in the KNOPPIX folder for some reason... Maybe I just messed up somehow last time I tried it (the last time I tried 2 versions of Knoppix was with Knoppix 3.4 and Whoppix, but Whoppix is now Whax and based off Gentoo I believe so it's a bit different then before).

You can also try using the cdshell command:

if ($lastKey == key[1]);then isolinux

but this method never worked for me.

I still have a little problem. I saw that after I added Linux to the DVD, Windows 98 and ME won't boot anymore. I found the problem, but not yet a solution.

The problem is in the config file: isolinux.cfg in the modules\isolinux directory of cdshell (I called it BOOT)

Normaly when extracting cdshell the file looks like this:

# You can place your isolinux.cfg and other related isolinux

# files in either:

#

# /boot/modules/isolinux

# /isolinux

#

# If you would like to use the latter, you should delete the

# /boot/modules/isolinux directory (move memdisk to /isolinux

# if you need it).

#

Exactly nothing (all comment lines) and all Windows OS's works fine with this.

After adding Linux you also need to extracted a new isolinux.cfg:

DEFAULT linux24

APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt24.gz nomce noapic quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix

TIMEOUT 300

PROMPT 1

DISPLAY boot.msg

F1 boot.msg

F2 f2

F3 f3

LABEL dsl

KERNEL linux24

APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt24.gz nomce noapic quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix

LABEL memtest

KERNEL memtest

APPEND initrd=

LABEL dsl-txt

KERNEL linux24

APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=normal initrd=minirt24.gz nomce noapic quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix

LABEL expert

KERNEL linux24

APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt24.gz nomce BOOT_IMAGE=expert

LABEL fb1280x1024

KERNEL linux24

APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=794 xmodule=fbdev initrd=minirt24.gz nomce noapic quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix

LABEL fb1024x768

KERNEL linux24

APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 xmodule=fbdev initrd=minirt24.gz nomce noapic quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix

LABEL fb800x600

KERNEL linux24

APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=788 xmodule=fbdev initrd=minirt24.gz nomce noapic quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix

LABEL lowram

KERNEL linux24

APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=normal initrd=minirt24.gz noscsi noideraid nosound nousb nofirewire noicons minimal nomce noapic nopam quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix

LABEL install

KERNEL linux24

APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=normal initrd=minirt24.gz noscsi noideraid nosound nofirewire noicons base norestore _install_ nomce noapic nopam quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix

LABEL failsafe

KERNEL linux24

APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us vga=normal atapicd nosound noscsi nousb nopcmcia nofirewire noagp nomce nodhcp xmodule=vesa initrd=minirt24.gz BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix

LABEL userdef

KERNEL linux24

APPEND #####################################################

But with this last isolinux.cfg, Windows ME and 98 won't boot anymore.

VMware says: Error CPU disabled or something like that. I think that when I put it in a normal computer the computer reset itself or something.

Anyone has a solution for this? I thought finally it works, but I'm happy that I found the error, because I thought that I had to create a whole new dvd again. :w00t:

Godzilla

I use Botable CD wizard and think your command will not work for me, as there is no file isolinux in the root of the DVD

Darude 1234

Your method so sophisticated - let's to analise it:

Step 1 - it's clear

Step 2 - download 4320.rar and extract it to the DVD root.

We have 4320.img; there are 11 files in it:

boot.msg

f2

f3

german.kbd

isolinux.bin          9856 B (i have wrote the size specially)

ldinux.sys

linux

logo.16

memtest

minirt.gz

syslinux.cfg

All these 11 files will be extracted into the folder /BOOT/isolinux.

Is it good the caps for linux - /BOOT/?

Step 3 - it's clear - download Bart's Boot Image extractor --- bbie.exe

Step 4 - bbie has created 3 image files. You only need image1.bin. You can delete the other 2 image files. Rename the image1.bin to isolinux.bin

________ isolinux.bin it's size is 2048 B _________

and place the file in the 4320.IMG you have extracted in the root of your DVD.

There is isolinux.bin already in the image file - 4320.img; should we replace it?; no mention about this. OK, let's replace it.

Step 5 - rename isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg. There is no isolinux nor in the /BOOT/isolinux folder nor in the 4320.img file: see Step 2 results in the quots. There is already syslinux.cfg!!! in the file and in the folder.

Add all the files in the BOOT directory into the 4320.IMG. Why do it as all files in the BOOT folder are same as in the 4320.img, except isolinux.bin (you remember - we have it renaming image1.bin; it's size 2048 B)- we have extracted them from file to folder? Let's do it - and all files will be overwritten if we will allow this. What sence? And what about isolinux.bin? We have one 2048 B in the 4320.img and another 9856 B in the Boot folder. What to do? If we overwrite it why did we such hard job?

__Delete boot.cat & isolinux.bin in the BOOT directory and only boot.cat in your 4320.IMG.__ There is no boot.cat!?

Godzilla

I use Botable CD wizard and think your command will not work for me, as there is no file isolinux in the root of the DVD

Darude 1234

Your method so sophisticated - let's to analise it:

*cut*

Well, I wrote it on the way I thought I did it. I didn't know exactly the way I did it, but I will look at it again later. I will create a new cd and then post a guide on the way it works, just to make clear for all other users on the forum, how to create a multibootable cd with knoppix ;)

Modified Darude1234 method (Sep 29 2005, 11:12 AM; Post #27)

Step 1

Download Knoppix.iso, extract KNOPPIX folder to the your future DVD root.

Step 2

Download Floppy image 4320.img

and extract it to the root of your DVD.

Open the image and extract all the files to the \boot\isolinux folder on your DVD.

Step 3-4

Extract bootfile from Knoppix.iso with Bart's Boot Image extractor

or ISO manager (MagicISO or other).

In case of the Bart's Boot Image extractor, image1.bin should be renamed to isolinux.bin.

Bootfile got by MagicISO should be saved isolinux.bin (2048 kB)

Replace the bootfile (isolinux.bin) in the 4320.IMG (you have extracted in the root of your DVD) with the new (2048 kB).

Step 5

Delete isolinux.bin in the BOOT directory

Step 6

Edit your cdshell.ini or bcdw.ini if you use Bootable CD wizard

Step 7

Make ISO

i think the folder /boot/isolinux would be OK from original Knoppix.ISO, only should be deleted isolinux.bin and boot.cat in the /boot/isolinux (Darude1234, may be you experimented with it and you have boot.cat in your boot folder).

I have tried to use /boot/isolinux from original KnoppixLiveDVD.iso (without isolinux.bin and boot.cat), have made new multibootDVD.iso and have burned DVD RW.

I will try to boot DVD after 3 hours as i don't want interrupt downloading.

You can rename:

\BPE1\WINSXS\MANIFESTS\X86_MICROSOFT.TOOLS.VISUALCPLUSPLUS.RUNTIME-LIBRARIES.RESOURCES_6595B64144CCF1DF_6.0.0.0_DE-DE_B5F95279.MANIFEST

in

\BPE1\WINSXS\MANIFESTS\X86_MICROSOFT.TOOLS.VISUALCPLUSPLUS.RUNTIME-LIBRARIES.RESOURCES_6595B64144CCF1DF_6.0.0.0_DE-DE_B5F95279.MAN

without Problems.

Knoppix still boots.

Tomorrow i will try to change switch for CD image: -j1

I need able longnames for Rescue on BartPe basis.

This is the correct command for creating the ISO:

start cdimage.exe -lAIODVD -t08/23/2001,09:00:00 -h -j1 -b\AIO-DVD\BOOT\loader.bin -o -m \AIO-DVD c:\AIODVD.iso

ofcourse you have to edit the paths to your files. In my example: AIO-DVD-folder is on the root of my d-partition. (d:\AIO-DVD\)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. I am trying to multi-boot knoppix and vista. I would like knoppix to boot from this exact command from my boot menu:

if $lastKey == key[9]; then bcdw boot /4320.IMG

. From what I hear it works with CDSHELL, but I can't get it to work. CD shell says:

Error: Unknown Command

[Command:bcdw] [Line: 72.2] [File:cdshell.ini]

. Can anyone shed some light on this ubject for me please. I've googled for info, but can't find any. Thanks.

Qz