Icons in XPize 4.0

WoRdUp48

So I installed the new XPize 4.0, having been a big fan of 3.2.

However, many, (not all) of my icons have a white or black outline around them. For example, those in my quicklaunch, and on my desktop have white outlines around them, and those in my start menu (on the right, things like My Computer, Network Connections, Control Panel, Printers and Faxes, etc.) have black outlines...

I dont understand what has happened?? Can anyone please help...

Hello, please help, the same problem, but I have no 32bpp item at properties.

I have 4MB video and LCD monitor, and even can't change bpp to 24 because of 1280x1024 video mode :-((

If I switch to 1024x768x24 all icons displayed correctly as hires, but at 16 bpp mode -- like 16 colors they have

I make full uninstall of xpize, but icons stay destroyed :-((

I kill icons cache file at c:\Documents and Settings\***\Local Settings\Application Data\, but after rebooting it was not rebuilt :-(

can anyone help me?

thanks

Hello, please help, the same problem, but I have no 32bpp item at properties.

I have 4MB video and LCD monitor, and even can't change bpp to 24 because of 1280x1024 video mode :-((

If I switch to 1024x768x24 all icons displayed correctly as hires, but at 16 bpp mode -- like 16 colors they have

I make full uninstall of xpize, but icons stay destroyed :-((

I kill icons cache file at c:\Documents and Settings\***\Local Settings\Application Data\, but after rebooting it was not rebuilt :-(

can anyone help me?

thanks

Try TweakUI from MS.

ok, thanks for answer.

I had downloaded tweakui from ms site, there I found "rebuild cache", cache was rebuilt successfully... but icons remain like 16 colors...

I also checked registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics there Shell Icon BPP set to 32 -- no effect.

after switching to 24 bpp video mode all icons displayed correctly, but I can't use this mode at my monitor, only 16 bpp.

XPero, how does you think, that could affect my icons? may be incorrect uninstall of Xpize? as I remember, the problem appeared after launching "xpize settings" and switching icons to 64pixels size. what kind of changes were made at this time? I'll thank to any ideas, registry keys, pathed file names etc.

Try installing XPize again without any component (or at least one extra). Then use XPize Settings again to revert back your icons to 32x32 size. Restart and uninstall XPize.

Important: XPize will work only with 32 bit color mode. I thought there wasnt anybody still in 16 bit :P

Edited by XPero

Try installing XPize again without any component (or at least one extra). Then use XPize Settings again to revert back your icons to 32x32 size. Restart and uninstall XPize.
I'm tried this, no effect.
Important: XPize will work only with 32 bit color mode. I thought there wasnt anybody still in 16 bit

great, is this present at readme? :-(

My system perfectly works on 16bpp mode, with full color icons. after installing xpize something was destroyed. All I need to known to recover my win -- that kind of changes was applyed through xpize settings after selection icons size and, probably, after changing "desktop view style". Are you able to help me? or better I must ask kavalera?

I attached some screen parts of current state of my system after installing Xpize.

please, do not advise video card upgrade, I just need to restore previous system icons look, what was perfectly...

thanks.

post-73860-1127376682_thumb.png

post-73860-1127376766_thumb.png

In the fisrt screenshot I see the XPize shortcut arrows. I think you havent uninstalled XPize properly. And yes, you can PM kalavera if ou want to know the exact changes XPize Settings make.

i think you just need to include 16 bit icons...

Yeah i know, but most of us uses 32 bit config and including only 32 bit icons may decrease size in certain files, which is good.

In the fisrt screenshot I see the XPize shortcut arrows. I think you havent uninstalled XPize properly.
sorry, I confused you with my screens... I made few install/uninstall cycles, and between some of them I made screens.

ok, thanks for the help, I'll try to ask kavalera.

i think you just need to include 16 bit icons...

no, it seems to be bug at xpize settings... more information -- the problem seems related to explorer only (desktop/my computer windows and common dialogs), because some of programs displays true color icons correctly... and after changing of my computer/recycle bin icons to true color through standard "customize desktop" from the dll's there icons really true color -- at "customize desktop" dialog it displayed correctly, but at desktop -- not :-(

anyway, this constricts possible variants...

about the changes made in xpize settings :

- the desktop view style it isn't a permanent change so this is not

the source of the problem;

- but i think i know where is the problem : when changing the icons

sizes i also "force" the Shell Icon BPP to 32. Like Xpero told normally all the users now use 32bits ... and xpize is intended for those users.

I think a way to fix your problem is going to registry manually and

revert that setting to 16:

HKCU\\Control Panel\\Desktop\\WindowMetrics

item: Shell Icon BPP

value: 16