simplified Chinese on Win98SE

ivman

I have begun to study Chinese at the university this year, and of course, all the computers on campus are XP. At home, though, I am still using Windows 98SE.

Is it possible to install simplified Chinese on my computer so that I can read and write Chinese with 98SE like you can do on XP? If so, how?

I have tried going to a website with Chinese on it and clicking on yes when a dialog box asks if I'd like to install Chinese. It goes through the download, but even after reboot, the Chinese characters won't appear on the screen. Also in the Control Panel under Regional Settings, Chinese is not even listed as one of the languages available, even after I've done the install described earlier in this paragraph.

Any help would be appreciated.

ivman

In case anyone else was wondering, or even for archival purposes, I'm going to send you how I was able to make my Win98SE able to view and input Chinese characters.

Somone who viewed the original question I posted sent me a link to a site with Chinese lanugage software, mostly to purchase, but some free. That link is

http://chinalinks.osu.edu/c-links2.htm

One of the links on that site was to a site with all kinds of tips and tools that enabled me to do what I wanted to do. On http://www.mandarintools.com there's a link for downloading a Word97 Chinese Input Macro - a free macro to input Chinese into Word97 documents without a separate Chinese sytem. Click on that link and follow all the directions there.

I hope this is of help to someone down the road.

ivman