iTunes 5, Localized with no quicktime...

seapagan

First I'd like to thank the people of the forum for sharing their hard work for the benefit of others.

This is my first post and I'd like to share my success using this installer with QuickTime Alternative. I noticed others having problems in other posts so hopefully this helps them too.

1. Install in this order:

- QuickTime Alternative 1.65 from Official K-Lite Codec Resource Site or K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 1.40 which includes Quicktime Alt 1.65

- rikgale's itunes silent installer on page 1 of this forum

NOTE: Install Quicktime Alt 1.65 or Mega Codec Pack 1.40 first.

2. Configure iTunes and QuickTime settings as desired.

3. Get 3 preferences files:

%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iTunes.pref

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iTunes.pref

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Apple Computer\QuickTime\QuickTime.qtp

4. The first two files have the same name, so respectively rename them to:

APiTunes.pref

LOiTunes.pref

5. Using WinRAR, extract rikgale's itunes silent installer to a "files" folder.

6. Copy files APiTunes.pref, LOiTunes.pref, QuickTime.qtp to the "files" folder.

7. I modified some lines in rikgale's itunes.cmd in the "files" folder to match my installation:

- Deleted the /w" at the end of the start /wait command (not sure what this does)

- Fixed the path to QuickTime.qtp in the copy command for QuickTime Alternative

- Changed pref names "APiTunes.pre" to "APiTunes.pref", "LOiTunes.pre" to "LOiTunes.pref"

cmdow @ /HID
@echo off
start /wait Setup.exe /S /V"SILENT_INSTALL=1 INSTALL_DESKTOP_SHORTCUTS=0 ASSUME_QT_DEFAULTS=0 ASSUME_MEDIA_DEFAULTS=1 ALLUSERS=1"
XCOPY /Y "QuickTime.qtp" "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Apple Computer\Quicktime\QuickTime.qtp"
ECHO F | XCOPY /Y "APiTunes.pref" "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iTunes.pref"
ECHO F | XCOPY /Y "LOiTunes.pref" "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iTunes.pref"
EXIT

EDITED OCT 1, 2005

iTunes prefs didn't take unless I used "ECHO F | XCOPY" in the copy commands above

If you want a desktop icon, change INSTALL_DESKTOP_SHORTCUTS=0 to =1.

8. Follow instructions on how to make a 7-zip switchless installer:

Tutorial For Making A 7-Zip Switchless Installer

The config.txt file for the 7-zip switchless installer looks like this:

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram="itunes.cmd"
;!@InstallEnd@!

Enjoy.

Edited by beeker

Hey all,

First off, thanks for all your time and effort on this project... But now to a problem I'm running into.

I download the silent install off the front page, and every time I try and run the setup, it goes through and extracts the files, and then pops up with a Dos window saying:

cmdow @ /HID 'cmdow' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I know I'm missing something insanely stupid easy at this point.... but my brain's so fried I can't come up with what it is. Any help would be *greatly* appreciated...

Thanks,

Teh Noob

@supernoob

Easy to solve that one Supernoob

You need to add into you UACD/$OEM$/$$/System32 folder a copy of cmdow.exe. Use google to find it.

Cmdow suppresses the cmd window from showing up during the install that is all, and if you dont have this little program you end up with a cmd window. It is a very useful program and can be used for all your cmds

@Thedisneymagic

I'll up a copy onto my ISP's sever later, after I've moved my computer (physically)

@beeker

Nice! I knew there was a reason I left all that code in...

Don't make the same mistake I did once and post "your" version on the internet. I left all my prefs and configs in one iTunes silent, so everyone could see all my Podcasts and Music store, so becareful and don't learn the hard way like me... :blushing:

Rikgale,

Thanks for the quick response! That would explain everything. I'll download it and try it out that way. I knew it was something stupid that I overlooked. If this works, I think that pretty much wraps up my custom disc. :blink: Good thing too.... cuz it's been murder. lol

Thanks again for the work on this, and the response,

Teh Noob

seapagan, rikgale & others. I know that in the updated first post in this topic, seapagan says that he removed the transform for bonjour b/c it's no longer in itunes 5.01. I found a forum where someone says it is. I don't know if it's true or not, but thought you guys should know about it. Thanks for your work. after the first couple of pages, i didn't have a clue what you were talking about. :wacko: I did understand "getting old" and "sleep." Thanks again. Here's the link:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@...48394@.68ba0005

@jeffc4442:

Thanks for the info link there. Seems bonjour is now integrated into itunes itself, instead of running as a standalone service - sneaky! They have modified it to be a bit more friendly to network configurations, but I'm not sure if I am happy that it exists. So basically, there is no way that we can have it not installed.

@all:

I've been a bit quiet recently, due to packing and preparing for work. Now back at work (bouncing around in the great weather we get in the middle of the north sea) so should be here more often.

Got a new version of 5.01 to upload soon, which runs at about 7.5Mb. Basically, I changed the cab file so it is now uncompressed, and this then compresses much better in the silent installer. Tried to get an admin install working on this, but apple basically seem to have screwed up that part of the msi logic so it does not install properly.

I'll upload it tonight after shift so rikgale can get a silent ver out ;)

SP

Not a prob, I'll knock an installer out 2morw, when the files are up.

I'm guessing that being in the North Sea you are in the Oil/Gas Industry in some way, I used to work for OSRL (which may or may not mean anything to you).

Enjoy work

rik