iTunes 5, Localized with no quicktime...

seapagan

Hi rikgale.

There was a problem with the very first version that I posted here, which I fixed about 10 mins later. On that first version I had integrated all the cabs into 1 (called it Data1.cab) and packed that inside the msi, but forgot to change the pointer to look inside instead of out :blushing:

I guess you must have been so keen and got the original version :(.

So, if you have orca, or any other editor that wont destroy the structure, load up the msi , look in the 'media' table, and change the entry for 'Cabinet' from 'Disk1.cab' to '#Disk1.cab'. That should fix it. Otherwise, download again from the first page.

Sorry for the trouble.

You are correct, I was very gentle with my alcohol intake last nite - guess I'm getting old :rolleyes:.

SP.

Ok so you have a few years on me (about 12)

I've up'ed a new silent iTunes installer to Rapidshare. This one still has the bonjour service up and running. It can be got here.

I am testing an installer that will automatically disable the Bonjour service once iTunes has been installed. I'll post it up when I proved that it works

that would be great seapagan...i havent had a chance to look at orca...the one time i did before it looked like a lot to handle...but hey, its still smaller :-) plus I have some methods for getting it smaller (i think, would like to try).

SIDE NOTE: Wouldnt it be possible to have Bonjour set to disabled in the msi? I dont think there is another method for adding a service, so somewhere should be where itunes sets bonjour to auto...maybe not diabled, but at least manual or something.

Edited by evilvoice

@rikgale:

Thanks for that, and sorry for the inconvenience. I'll wait to put the link on the main page, to see if you get the bonjour-stop script working.

@evilvoice:

i'll upload the QT-English-only version now then, no probs. Regarding the bonjour service, there is nowhere I can find in the msi that registers the service. I suspect that it is done by a custom action that calls one of their custom dll's, or is done by the compiled installshield script. This new version breaks the inx decompiler that I used to use, so cant edit that :(. I posted the code above to disable it in a batch though, so once rikgale has put that into a silent installer it will do the job.

SP

@seapagan

So you gonna post link to both of the files on the main page?

My first test failed, but I am testing again atm, forgot to tell XCOPY if it was mention to be copying a file or a directory and because I am using cmdnow I never noticed, so spent trying to figure out why the install had stopped. It turned out that in a window that was hidden it was asking me a question that I could not answer. Should know if it worked in about 15 mins :)

I found bonjour and gearsecurity services in winstallle...gonna see if I can perfrom a basic edit and the msi still work. In winstallle its under services and both are set to autostart...if it does work, ill send the msi to someone to host...putting it to theonly other option sets it to manual

EDIT: ok, that worked. so if anyone wants it, I can 7zip and send.

Edited by evilvoice

@evilvoice:

You are very correct! In the raw msi, it is in the 'ServiceInstall' table - dont know how I could have missed that, doh! I think I can modify that to make it disabled, hunting google now. Thanks for the heads-up :thumbup. Some people may need this service, so will keep the original installed, but probably post a transform to change it. Need to test for a while in a VM first. Did you modify my version, or the original?

@rikgale:

yeah, I can post both the iTunes and QT localized files on the main page.

Edit : QT7 (English Only) link put on main page

SP

Edited by seapagan

i changed yours...since im gonna be using your msi...winstallle has an option to copy package, so i do that so that I have one edited version and one unedited (yours).

EDIT: Got QT7 (your version) down to 8.91MB

Edited by evilvoice

@evilvoice:

gak! How you do that! Nice work :)

I have also worked out how to set the service to install as disabled, not manual, will post a transform file for the installer.

If you want to change yours, if WinstallLE offers a table editing facility :

In the 'ServiceInstall' table, for the 'Bonjour Service' set start to '4'

in the 'ServiceControl' table, for the 'Bonjour Service' set Event to '162'

good work!

SP.

I extract the files from the msi then 7zip it up...cant be done with itunes...but QT allows it...winstallle has an option to expand the package, and i end up with a program files and system32 dir and a 3mb msi...take that and package it with the excess files and you can get it down to 8.91mb...i dunno why but you can achieve a smaller size with an extracted msi.

@evilvoice:

Good going. That is probably because 7z cannot really compress another compressed file (ie the internal cab). When you extract the files, it can then properly compress them. I tried this with iTunes too, and got the same problems you had, so didn't bother for QT. Guess I was wrong! lol. If you want to post that on rapidshare or whereever, I'll change the link on the first page.

Thanks!

SP

@evilvoice:

OK, sleep well and thanks for the help.

@all:

I have posted a transform on the main page that will stop the 'Bonjour' service starting. Instructions for use are there also.

@rikgale:

You gonna put that in your silent version? ;) - Be neater than a batch.

SP