iTunes 5, Localized with no quicktime...

seapagan

Shocking...another question:

Since i'm now using Firefox, do i still need to have a million spyware and ad blockers running in the background on my machine?

I currently have AVG antivirus and firewall, spybot search & destroy, cwsshredder, super adblocker, adaware se plus, microsoft antispyware, and spyware blaster.

Just wondering.

thanks!

jeff

Possibly not the best place to ask this question, a new topic would have been more appropriate, but.....

... you could probably get away with dropping super adblocker and spyware blaster. AV and Firewall are must keeps and keeping the 'big three' - S&D, Ad-Aware and MSAnitSpyware is probably a good idea. No idea what cwsshredder is.

If you would like to continue this line of disscussion further pls feel free to PM me, and lets keep this topic on topic ;)

But if I don't have a Quicktime installed my iTunes won't start. It always tells me to install QT 7 or later. How can I tell him that QT 7 is installed?

You must have either Quicktime 7, or the Quicktime Alternative installed on your computer before trying to run iTunes - it will not work without one of them.

My iTunes pack without quicktime is simply to allow people the choice of using the official QT or the alternative, as well as being only an english version.

SP

I want to use Quicktime 6.5.2 because the encoded aac files with Quicktime 7 are much more larger (1-5 MB per album). Too large for me. But I also want to use VBR which QT 6.5.2 is also able to encode.

Edited by Menedas

I want to use Quicktime 6.5.2 because the encoded aac files with Quicktime 7 are much more larger (1-5 MB per album). Too large for me. But I also want to use VBR which QT 6.5.2 is also able to encode.

Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, iTunes 5 requires you to use QT 7 (or the latest alternative, which is the same codecs). If you want to keep using a lesser version, maybe the only solution is to use iTunes 4.9, see my topic here if you want to download that version. The version there is QT-free, so you can still use the 6.5.2 you have installed.

An other idea is to check the quality (bitrate) settings on iTunes encoding options, and choose a lower bitrate to get smaller files.

SP

If you want to keep using a lesser version, maybe the only solution is to use iTunes 4.9, see my topic here if you want to download that version. The version there is QT-free, so you can still use the 6.5.2 you have installed.
Isn't a solution because no VBR function in iTunes 4.9.
An other idea is to check the quality (bitrate) settings on iTunes encoding options, and choose a lower bitrate to get smaller files.

No solution because I can't tolerate a lower quality.

But thank you for your fast answers. I will probably go back to my old 4.6 and use iTunes 5 on a vmware system to encode with VBR for my extra high quality archive music files with 256kbps. Can't see any advantage to 4.9. And I don't like the Podcasts in my list.

Edited by Menedas

I was dubios (sp??) about podcasts at first and sort of ignored them for ages, but over the last few weeks I've been listening to them more and more. I currentely subscribe to 7 and listen to them in the car on the way to work. Gotta do something with an hour a day... currentley learning Quantum Chemistry

The podcasts can be disabled, and the links removed from iTunes, just using the options pages.

Personally I havn't used them either, but maybe one day. It only takes me 2 minutes to walk down the stairs, pick up a coffee and be at work so I dont think I'll be able to justify downloading podcasts for that rikgale :P

@Menedas:

You seem to have very specific requirements (and obviously sensitive ears - I cant tell the difference between media _properly_ encoded at 192 and that at 256 personally), so go with what does it for you. There are better converters / cd rippers around than iTunes I am sure though.

SP

The podcasts can be disabled, and the links removed from iTunes, just using the options pages.
I have really searched for this option but can't found it. Where is it?
@Menedas:

You seem to have very specific requirements (and obviously sensitive ears - I cant tell the difference between media _properly_ encoded at 192 and that at 256 personally), so go with what does it for you. There are better converters / cd rippers around than iTunes I am sure though.

No, the 256k VBR version is only for my archiv. These files are only for recompression, if I need the music in an other format like mp3. I'm using 128k for my iPod and normal listening. And the small space on my iPod is the reason to save as much as possible. I hope the next iPod gen will have a 80gig version. Edited by Menedas

Actually, in 4.9 you can disable the downloads of podcasts (set it to manual, but not remove the link. iTunes 5 allows you to totally disable them, removing the link, by the use of the parental control functions.

Ver 5 (5.01 certainly) also allows AAC to be recorded in vbr. I tend to use mp3 for all my tunes, so have not experimented with aac too much, and was not aware the size of media had increased with QT7. Infact, the only reason QT is on my machine is to alllow iTunes to run - dont use it for anything else.

I need a bigger iPod too - 40Gb is just not enough :no:

SP.

Hey seapagan, how's the northsea?

iTunes 6.0 is out, care to do your thing?

Two majo version releases in just over 2 months!! Somethings going on at Apple

Hope ur well

Rik

They're just doing this to annoy me! :lol:

I'll download and take a look. Not much else to do here since the weather is so bad we are just bouncing around trying to stop everything hitting the deck....

Otherwise, I'm OK, thanks :) Yourself?

Edit : 34Mb, well, not too much bigger than the last one! Lets see what size it really needs to be! ;)

SP

Edited by seapagan